Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of advice and help (Wheelchair)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In need of advice and help (Wheelchair)

Will Medicare pay for a wheelchair earlier than the 5 year limit?

I have had posture and sliding issues with my current TiLite ZR with a 16" Jay Back for and couple years. I have been told by a couple of guys that Medicare will but also been told by the supplier
    Tech that they won't. It took a couple years but I tried a lower 9" Jay Back that was recommended from another supplier Tech that I had seen at a seating eval last year. The 9" back didn't solve nothing. Maybe made it a little worse actually.

I don't want to go through the fun process of having to get a chair early but if I have to I will. All I want is the problem solved as I am not sitting very comfortable for some time now. And don't feel very safe when going down a slight step or curb. Can not do a wheelie very well in this chair.

I just don't feel like I am getting much help with this problem right now.

I tried to make it shorter but my explainations and questions never are.

Sounds llke your chair just needs a good adjustment to fit you. For one, I've never heard of a T/10 using a 16" tall back unless you're like 6'6"tall.That's really tall. It'll make it really tough because the rhomboids are trapped by the tall back making it much harder to push. Start out with the height just below your scapulas and adjust down until you find it more comfortable.

If you have difficulty doing a wheelie, your COG is too far back or the back angle is too far forward. A good rule for COG is fingertips should be close to the middle of the axle button with arms hanging down and relaxed. What's the angle of your back? If you feel you are falling forward going down, either adjust your COG forward so you can do a wheelie going down or adjust the angle of your back back a bit. I suggest trying to adjust the back angle first to see if that makes a difference. It's amazing what two degrees angle difference makes for comfort or having the cog 1/2" too far back.

Being a T/10, your chair should be fast and agile.

Thanks for posting Patrick. Yes I agree that the 16" back is too tall. I was recommended a 7" back but I guess because of the width of my chair (20" wide) that all my supplier could get was 9" back. I have the 16" back far back and as low as I can get it. I have tried a bunch of different adjustments with non of them helped much.

I also agree that I should be able to move faster and have better control and maneuverability.

I am 6'.

With the 9" back I was able to get further back and as low as I could get it. I have a cross bar that prevents me from getting it lower. Later I will take some pictures and post them.

And yeah I was also told my back wheels were an inch too far back. Looks like I have an adjustment there so I can solve that but I don't want do anything yet until I solve my posture issue.

The way this guy is sitting is the way I sit a lot of times. I lean forward a lot because it's a little more comfortable. My lower back is achy and the top of my stomach is also achy and uncomfortable.

Just a couple of comments. The picture of the quad rugby player shows a chair that has a lot of "dump" (rear height from floor to seat is lower than front height from floor to seat) - which I believe rugby players like as it's a stable position for ball handling. Some folks have some dump in their everyday chairs, so just wondering if you do, and if it needs adjustment.
    Does your footrest need adjustment? Too low or too high may effect your posture.
    Also, consider a custom cushion if you haven't already.
    There's lots of folks here who, like Patrick, can make suggestions to help, so hope you can get more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Just a couple of comments. The picture of the quad rugby player shows a chair that has a lot of "dump" (rear height from floor to seat is lower than front height from floor to seat) - which I believe rugby players like as it's a stable position for ball handling. Some folks have some dump in their everyday chairs, so just wondering if you do, and if it needs adjustment.
    Does your footrest need adjustment? Too low or too high may effect your posture.
    Also, consider a custom cushion if you haven't already.
    There's lots of folks here who, like Patrick, can make suggestions to help, so hope you can get more comfortable.
    I was just using the he sits as a reference as to how I am sitting.

My footrest is fine. I have long legs and if I were to adjust it any higher I think it would make my position more uncomfortable. My first cushion that I had really liked and had 3 of was the Jay Active. I burst the gel from my last one trying to solve this issue in the beginning. They don't make that cushion no more. I would like to think that my problem isn't so much the Stimulite cushion I am currently using but more of the adjustments that I need to do.

Can you post a picture of yourself in your chair? That might help us help you.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Blog Entries
    Pics would definitely help. Off the cuff, it sounds like you could benefit from a much lower back rest height and some more dump and squeeze (lower the rear seat height and close the back rest angle a bit. Making sure your feet are well planted helps too, and that you've got good cushion contact along your entire femur.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Here is the picture of me and how my posture is. I can tell you this..... It is not very comfortable after a and hour or a few hours of being in the chair. And even sometimes sitting in it after waking up.

The files for the other pictures I took are too large. How can I make them smaller so I can upload them on here? Is there another way besides using a image hosting site?

The back of my legs from the front of my cushion can be anywhere from 2 inches to 4 inches forward. I think in this picture they would be 4 inches forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sometimes the after market backrests push you too far forward as they are usually mounted in front of the back canes. There is a chance you would be more comfortable with standard back upholstery with velcro adjustable straps that comes with the chair.

Thanks for the picture. Wondering if you want to consider a longer frame on a chair. Yes, you appear to be sitting pretty far forward; if you put your left arm straight down it looks like your hand would be well in front of the rear wheel axle instead of just kind of touching the axle.
    On my chair, I picture my rear wheel axle as being in line with my hip joint.
    It would be great if you could go somewhere that wheelers are congregated, such as a road race with a wheelchair division, to look at the various adjustments they have on their everyday chairs. It's really sick that we can't try out various chairs when ordering.