Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: acupuncture

acupuncture

Has anyone had good results with acupuncture for high-back tone that doesn't react to a baclofen pump? I'm getting pulled to my left and my pump isn't helping at all.

Or... Just experience with acupuncture on other problems??

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...and-old-injury

This was a recent post on acupuncture
    consider reaching out to this member

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I posted that after 2 acupuncture treatment s my hands, which had been contracted for 24 years opened and I can now open and close them. I'm also able to raise my weaker leg higher. We're working on my sitting balance now.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlt4 View Post
    I posted that after 2 acupuncture treatment s my hands, which had been contracted for 24 years opened and I can now open and close them. I'm also able to raise my weaker leg higher. We're working on my sitting balance now.
    Whoa! I will ask about that. Acupuncture helps me with various pains, about all joint pain, and I get regular treatments for the kidneys, which are weak.

A great deal depends on the skill and experience level of the practitioner - moonlt4 clearly had a great one who knew exactly whiich points to treat. There is a saying in Oriental medicine that a single needle, wisely place, will cure all ailments. It's an ideal, based on the theory behind acupuncture, and probably no one has arrived at that level - but a therapist who can open a 24-year contracture and improve leg mobility in two treatments sure comes close! Best wishes with your sitting balance, moonlt4 - wish I could go to him or her!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Thank you. The interesting thing is I originally went for the balance and extreme tightness on inner thigh. I was so shocked when I woke up with my hands opened. I went to him because a friend with MS got great results with her thigh tightness. It would be great if there were more like him and you and everyone could get these kinds of results. My MD was amazed. I also get a 30 minute massage before the treatment.

He's a gem, that's for certain. The last time I had acupuncture, it was for a bad surgical result in my wrist, not for MS. Now I'm thinking about asking around for recommendations, as there are several acupuncturists where I live. Thanks for the inspiration!

Good luck. I hope you find a good one too. It's so refreshing to have someone actually listen and care.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlt4 View Post
    Good luck. I hope you find a good one too. It's so refreshing to have someone actually listen and care.
    Thank you!

I'm curious about something. When your hand opened, do you remember where the acupuncturist had placed needles - in the hand, or some other location? Did he use only a few needles (3-4), or several (12 or more)? I know that people can have the exact same symptoms, caused by blockages in different meridians - so I'm not supposing that my contracted hand would respond to the same treatment that helped yours, but I'd be interested to know what your treatment "looked like." Traditional Chinese Medicine is fascinating to me.

Well this sounds encouraging. I found an acupuncturist who has good reviews, so I'm going to give this a try and hope that I get some good results too.