Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a Chin up bar at home?

Do you have a Chin up bar at home?

Any ideas on making a chin up apparatus at home?
    Never Give Up!

I don?t have one presently, mainly because I have hardware in my legs due to fall fracture ( not related to pull ups!) .

I had one for several years and liked it a lot. A good stretch and good for strength.
    Used a simple doorway model that was in doorway to utility closet so out of sight when closed but easy to access when opening door. Very sturdy and easy to install. I see fancier models that mount on wall but they seem like they would be more work to mount. Here?s one similar to what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-...n%3A6036218011

I used to have a pull-up bar in a doorway when I was able-bodied, but nothing now as I can't figure out how to do pullups and get back into my chair without any core...tips.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I used to have a pull-up bar in a doorway when I was able-bodied, but nothing now as I can't figure out how to do pullups and get back into my chair without any core...tips.
    You could create a climbing wall of sorts where you would pull yourself up to the pull up bar, do some chin ups and then go back to your chair.
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I don?t have one presently, mainly because I have hardware in my legs due to fall fracture ( not related to pull ups!) .

I had one for several years and liked it a lot. A good stretch and good for strength.
    Used a simple doorway model that was in doorway to utility closet so out of sight when closed but easy to access when opening door. Very sturdy and easy to install. I see fancier models that mount on wall but they seem like they would be more work to mount. Here?s one similar to what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-...n%3A6036218011

I have one similar to this one. Mine has brackets on the door and the bar can be removed/reinstalled fairly easy, just slides into the bracket.

I have one similar to the one from Amazon. I park my chair under it and set the brakes. As I'm doing the pull-ups, my lower half tends to move my chair out of place to the point that I have to stop, and re-adjust the chair to put it back under me so that I can safely return to it. Some of it is due to spasms when I first start, but the chair doesn't seem to want to stay stationary even with the brakes on. It isn't as easy as one would think.

Do you have a trapeze over your bed?
    I don't know about chin-ups but I hang by good arm to assist in transfer/repositioning in bed. Just be careful and make sure everything is tight.
    Had one several years ago that plate welded to plate against bed broke. DME said they had same complaint on that brand before, sure wish I'd know before mine broke. But, happy it was while repositioning in bed and not transfering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Depending on how light your chair is/strong you are, you can strap the chair to your legs and lift it with your body.

I normally have TWIONs on my chair so that adds about 30 lbs I'd wager. Also, I wish there was one of those quick mount and removal ones (my son has one) but with the bar low enough for me to reach. I really don't have any good doorways where I could put a permanent mount.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I used to have one post injury. Mounted a bar about 8 feet high over a door. I got the thickest rope I could find and tied a simple knot in it every 18 inches or so, tied this to the side of the bar so I could use the rope to haul myself up until I could grab the bar.

on the way down you just gotta save enough strength to lower yourself on the rope back into the chair.

it worked very well, I just don’t have an appropriate door to mount the rig to in my current apartment, but I still have the bar and would like to get it mounted up in my next place if possible.