Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: supository slime

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I meant what I said. I have only ever had butt snot from the Magic Bullet brand, water-based suppositories.
    So do you use Ducolax or generic vegetable oil based bisacodyl suppositories, glycerin suppositories, or Enemeez? If Ducolax or other generic vegetable oil based suppositories, do you perceive that it takes longer for the suppository to melt than the Magic Bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There are two kinds of magic bullets - one that is wax based and one that is water based
    look at the ingredients of your suppositories
    the water-based suppositories do not have the discharge that you are describing

pbr
    mine says laxative suppositories
    each contains 10mg bisacodyl usp
    contains nohydrogenerated vegetable oil

im not sure what that stuff is does that mean wax based
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Magic bullet is a brand name. The magic bullet brand is bisacodyl in polypropylene glycol. The packaging is a little white box with a white sticker with orange print on it, and the suppositories themselves are a solid brightish opaque white, and are wrapped in white plastic with orange type with the words magic bullet and the expiration date. They are available in sets of ten or boxes of 100. It?s not unusual for hospitals, even rehab hospitals, LTACs and SNFs, to refer to all bisacodyl suppositories as magic bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    That said, I have experienced "butt snot" with Magic Bullets. What I have found is that you have to be very diligent with digital stimulation after you think every bit of stool has been removed, even when using Magic Bullets. Otherwise, "butt snot" is still possible and a reality with the water soluble Magic Bullet formulation.
    I have had the identical experience. Without MB stuff doesn't move down enough, personally I can't do it all with dig stim.

But all this talk of "butt snot" bothers me, I believe the correct, technical term is "after burn".

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    It?s not unusual for hospitals, even rehab hospitals, LTACs and SNFs, to refer to all bisacodyl suppositories as magic bullets.
    Even SCI nurses, apparently...

When I ended up in a hospital for an infection and was there long enough to need to take a dump, all they had was the wax/oil based generic bisacodyl suppositories. Those things are garbage. So from now on I make sure I always carry a couple with me, just in case I end up in a similar situation. I don't want to have to ask my friends to go dig through my urologic supplies at home to bring me some if I end up in the hospital again.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Even SCI nurses, apparently...

When I ended up in a hospital for an infection and was there long enough to need to take a dump, all they had was the wax/oil based generic bisacodyl suppositories. Those things are garbage. So from now on I make sure I always carry a couple with me, just in case I end up in a similar situation. I don't want to have to ask my friends to go dig through my urologic supplies at home to bring me some if I end up in the hospital again.
    After Burn...Butt Snot, who cares what you call it, it makes a mess, is really disgusting and a problem that we all have to deal with if we use these suppositories.

When you end up in the hospital, you better hope that your Magic Bullets still have a current use by date. In my experience, if you let hospital staff know that you have brought your own suppositories, those suppositories will have to go to the hospital pharmacy to be vetted as to their type and expiry date. If the expiry date is past, good luck with the hospital pharmacy returning the suppositories to the unit for your use. Also good luck in having any of the nursing staff know how to use these suppositories and how to initiate a bowel program, even if you give them explicit instructions.

When I was in the hospital for 7 days with hyponatremia and there was not one nurse in either the intensive care unit or on the med/surg unit who had any idea how to do a neurogenic bowel program. When NL brought me home, I had the world's largest every bowel program. Hospital staff don't know what to do and what is more they don't want to know what to do for a neurogenic bowel program..

Go the the hospital you are on your own. What is worse, the staff would not listen to NL's instructions nor would they allow NL to do the program.

After Burn...Butt Snot, who cares what you call it, it makes a mess, is really disgusting and a problem that we all have to deal with if we use these suppositories.

When you end up in the hospital, you better hope that your Magic Bullets still have a current use by date. In my experience, if you let hospital staff know that you have brought your own suppositories, those suppositories will have to go to the hospital pharmacy to be vetted as to their type and expiry date. If the expiry date is past, good luck with the hospital pharmacy returning the suppositories to the unit for your use. Also good luck in having any of the nursing staff know how to use these suppositories and how to initiate a bowel program, even if you give them explicit instructions.

When I was in the hospital for 7 days with hyponatremia and there was not one nurse in either the intensive care unit or on the med/surg unit who had any idea how to do a neurogenic bowel program. When NL brought me home, I had the world's largest every bowel program. Hospital staff don't know what to do and what is more they don't want to know what to do for a neurogenic bowel program..

Go the the hospital you are on your own. What is worse, the staff would not listen to NL's instructions nor would they allow NL to do the program.
    True, that's a good point. MB have an expiration date that is like 12 months from manufacture, and usually when I order a 100 pack from sportaid they only have 4 months left on their expiration date.

I'm in a unique situation in that for the past 5 years across a few different cities I've generally always worked at the hospital where I end up going if/when I get sick. So I get cut a little slack, and beyond that I know how to manipulate the rules. When I needed to do a BP in the hospital I was mobile enough to get to the bathroom and do it on my own (though it was quite a challenge), I had to tell the nurse multiple times exactly what I wanted, and eventually they brought over a physical therapist who "borrowed" a toilet seat with a cutout from the adjacent rehab hospital for me to use, so if this situation were to repeat itself I would just shove my MB up there instead of their vegetable oil dulcolax joint that takes a million years to work, no one would be the wiser. You can actually get away with a lot if it's not an oral medication. For example, most of us always have catheters on us, several times I've needed to use mine while hospitalized because the hospital didn't have an I&O catheter I was comfortable with using, and at the hospitalization where I had to poop, I also had to supply my own condom catheter when leaving or it would have been a very wet ride home.

If you're just polite and insistent and pleasant when you bend the rules without telling them directly that you're going to break the rules, you can get away with a lot, and then apologizing when you get caught breaking the rules, that's an important one too I guess.

This particular hospitalization I'm talking about I was in for like 4 or 5 days I think, sepsis, delirium, IV antibiotics, I was really out of it. I'd been brought in by EMS and was at school and in a city where I didn't really have any close friends (at least none close enough that I wanted them to come drive me home to my messy apartment with a bag of my soiled clothes that still smelled like piss), so when they asked me who was going to pick me up, I just said one of my friends was going to pick me up (pretty much all hospitals make you have someone to come in and take you home so they know you're going to a safe place or something like that). I told the doctor and the nurse and everybody that my friend was on the way, and then that my friend was there, because I knew it's just a tech who wheels you down to the front door. When the tech pushed me to the front door they were like "where's your friend?", I just said "thanks so much, I think they're over there" pointing off into the distance and began pushign myself the 1.5 miles back to my house... it was mostly downhill so I knew I could make it even in my weakened state. If I had told anyone I wanted to push myself home after four days of fever and IV antibiotics they would have freaked out, so I pretended to follow their stupid rules until I was out of their grasp.

Ultimately, as patients we have a lot of rights. People can't keep you in the hospital against your will, doctors can't make you take medication, they can't force you to give blood for lab draws, they can't force you to pee in a cup. Of course these are usually all bad ideas and it's much harder to get someone to DO something for you as opposed to refusing to have something done, but we've all got to learn to play the game the system has invented.

If you are frustrated it magic bullets. - try mini enemas -aka Enemeez brand
    it is the liquid form of docusate - they evacuate the anal cavity - fairly effectively

everyone is different - use what works for you

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

So do you use Ducolax or generic vegetable oil based bisacodyl suppositories, glycerin suppositories, or Enemeez? If Ducolax or other generic vegetable oil based suppositories, do you perceive that it takes longer for the suppository to melt than the Magic Bullet?
    I use generic vegetable oil bisacodyl, drink a cup of coffee while reading news for 20 minutes. Then I transfer and start a process that ends with an endless enemies on the toilet as a just in case all clear. Fort that one I wait ten minutes. It's an effective, but long process. I'd rather make that investment than have an accident at the office.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I don't have to do a bowel "program," thankfully. But, once in a great while, I'll get constipated so at last resort I'll do a half bullet to get things moving along. I have used bullets that were given to me that are over 5 years old and they still work fine. But even a half of one is pretty harsh on me, and I've had occurrences of after burn.