Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Uber?

Using Uber?

Hello All,
    Pretty much a newbie here who has a question. I am a T10C as of early February this year. With that said I am doing great, getting out and about and active. With that said because I am dealing with CT DMV I am still not driving myself. I have a PT appointment tomorrow and my wife has to be in the city for work and I was wondering how Uber would work for me? I am in a lightweight rigid chair, transfers are no issue at all, I can break down my chair myself but with that said I would need help getting the frame in and out of the car. Have any of you in my situation used Uber? How did it work out?

Thanks

Cheers,
    Jim

Uber has a couple of dedicated options in addition to its normal options: uberAssist and uberWAV. uberASSIST supposedly can be used for people with manual chairs who might need a bit of extra space or some assistance, https://www.uber.com/en-SG/drive/resources/uberassist/ . uverWAV provides full wheelchair accessible vehicles, with ramps or lifts. You can see these by swiping left from the main app screen (at least on ioS).

I have never used either however. I can't use uberASSIST as I'm in an electric outside the house, and every time I've tried to look for a car on uberWAV, no cars have been available (Seriously, over several years, I've never seen a single car available on uberWAV).

I really wish uberWAV worked well though, it would be awesome for me if it did.

Finally of course the main Uber options, possibly uberBlack, would likely work.

You can use any uber/lyft type service if you can get yourself into the car.

you don’t need to break the chair down yourself tho it might be quicker sometimes. I know uber trains their drivers how to help with wheelchairs, and I imagine Lyft does as well.

i have probably used lyft/uber 20 times or so and never had an issue. If I’m with a buddy who knows me and my chair well enough I let my friend break the chair down and supervise it’s storage in the trunk or back seat or wherever. If I’m solo I just tell them step by step how to get the wheels off.

just make sure you’re assertive with the driver and tell them exactly what you need, for example “I need you to pull up right next to the curb so I can get in/our, you’ve got a four inch gap right now” or “just drop me off in the parking lot over there so I don’t have to deal with the curb.” Etc etc. The way you would with any friend or coworker who was new to it.

id estimate that about half of the uber drivers I’ve had will tell me “I got this, I know how to do it” when I start to tell them how to break down my rigid ultralight and they have always been right. In fact, of the maybe 40-50 people in my life who have ever broken down my wheelchair the top 5 fastest spots go to uber drivers, who were all much more practiced and efficient and confident disassembling and reassembling the wheelchair than any of my family members or friends who have broken down my chair dozens of times themselves.

You should have no hesitation about using uber, it’s easy and fast and generally the drivers know what they’re doing.

Witth perhaps one caveat. If you don’t think you could transfer into a minivan or SUV, that might be a problem. Generally you only rarely get those vehicles when requesting a regular uber because they’d rather be collecting the higher Uber XL fare, but occasionally they take the standard fares. I guess you might have to cancel the ride if an SUV accepts and you can’t get in, but you will immediately see what kind of vehicle the driver has when the ride is accepted by a driver.

Ive never used uber WAV, and while I also don’t ever really look for it, when I landed in LAX this was an option (it’s not in my home town), but uber WAV was like 45 minutes away so I just took a standard uber or lyft or whatever I figured was the cheapest at the moment.

You sound pretty confident with your transfer skills, so if you feel like you can drag yourself up into a Chevy Tahoe if it shows up you will be able to ride uber without an issue.

California Lawsuits Accuse Uber and Lyft of Discriminating Against Wheelchair Users
    By TRACEY LIEN
    Los Angeles Times
    MAR 15, 2018

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...315-story.html

The lawsuits, filed in California Superior Court in Alameda County, allege that both companies have failed to adequately extend their services to passengers who use wheelchairs, and that it is completely within their power to rectify the issue. Neither lawsuit seeks monetary damages; both call on the companies to change their current practices.

"These ride-sharing companies have tried to put out this myth that they're just middlemen who help the real businessmen and women ? the drivers ? connect with their customers, and that's just not true," said Melissa Riess, an attorney representing the plaintiffs.

The companies, Riess says, "exercise huge amounts of control over both drivers and riders, everything from what kind of vehicle the driver drives, to what condition it's in, to the fares they charge, and how they communicate with their rider.

"If they can use that control to serve Uber and Lyft's interests, they can exercise that control to create conditions where wheelchair-accessible service is a reality," Riess said.

Both companies currently offer wheelchair-accessible rides through their apps, but the lawsuits describe these efforts as inadequate.

Customers who want to book a wheelchair-accessible Uber ride can select "UberWAV" from the ride-hailing app, but the lawsuit against that company calls the feature a "sham" because such rides in the San Francisco Bay Area are rarely available. Wheelchair users also inevitably end up paying more for their rides because cheaper options such as UberPool and UberPool Express are not available to them, the suit says..

The lawsuit against Lyft is similarly critical of its "access mode," which, instead of connecting a passenger with a wheelchair-accessible Lyft ride, "sends the rider a text message with a link to a website listing phone numbers for paratransit, public transportation agencies, and local taxi companies around the country," the lawsuit read. "Almost a quarter of the links do not work, or are to websites that are irrelevant to people needing accessible transportation."

Quite a stretch of logic comparing where ride-share companies restrict the usage of some 20 year old wreck with a rotted out frame and no brakes...leaping to ride-share companies should require some poor sap doing this to make ends meet buy a big $$$ wheelchair modified vehicle to serve a wheelchair user's needs. I'd hate to be that ride-share driver hammered with that onerous demand, if such a thing was remotely legal or fair.

I've used both Uber and Lyft many times. Typically I just transfer in and then ask the driver to put my chair in the trunk. Usually I ask them to take the wheels off (describing how to do it) or take them off myself and hand them to the driver. I've never had an issue, other than some drivers getting anxious saying something like "I'm not sure how this is going to work" and I just have to walk them through it.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Hello All,
    Pretty much a newbie here who has a question. I am a T10C as of early February this year. With that said I am doing great, getting out and about and active. With that said because I am dealing with CT DMV I am still not driving myself. I have a PT appointment tomorrow and my wife has to be in the city for work and I was wondering how Uber would work for me? I am in a lightweight rigid chair, transfers are no issue at all, I can break down my chair myself but with that said I would need help getting the frame in and out of the car. Have any of you in my situation used Uber? How did it work out?

Thanks

Cheers,
    Jim
    Sorry for the late response but I dont show Wav or Assist avil in connect.

Why not use dial a ride for the next time?

When you log on to Uber select a destination and it its avil in will show an eta and a rate. If not avil like in your area it will not give an option. But does give you these cab service but they cost more.

https://www.uber.com/blog/new-englan...wav-providers/

Connecticut WAV Providers

August 21, 2017 | New England[COLOR=#717171 !important]Share

This link opens in a new windowThis link opens in a new windowThis link opens in a new window
    [/COLOR]

A Cab Company, (203)792-8294
    AAA Cab, (860)645-1999
    Ace Taxi Service, (860)222-2222
    Airport Express Livery & Taxi, (860)627-0451
    Rana Cab Co LLC (860)728-8888
    Yellow Cab, (860)666-6666
    New Haven Metro Taxi, (203)777-7777
    Norwalk Taxi, (203)855-1764

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    California Lawsuits Accuse Uber and Lyft of Discriminating Against Wheelchair Users
    By TRACEY LIEN
    Los Angeles Times
    MAR 15, 2018

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...315-story.html

The lawsuits, filed in California Superior Court in Alameda County, allege that both companies have failed to adequately extend their services to passengers who use wheelchairs, and that it is completely within their power to rectify the issue. Neither lawsuit seeks monetary damages; both call on the companies to change their current practices.

"These ride-sharing companies have tried to put out this myth that they're just middlemen who help the real businessmen and women ? the drivers ? connect with their customers, and that's just not true," said Melissa Riess, an attorney representing the plaintiffs.

The companies, Riess says, "exercise huge amounts of control over both drivers and riders, everything from what kind of vehicle the driver drives, to what condition it's in, to the fares they charge, and how they communicate with their rider.

"If they can use that control to serve Uber and Lyft's interests, they can exercise that control to create conditions where wheelchair-accessible service is a reality," Riess said.

Both companies currently offer wheelchair-accessible rides through their apps, but the lawsuits describe these efforts as inadequate.

Customers who want to book a wheelchair-accessible Uber ride can select "UberWAV" from the ride-hailing app, but the lawsuit against that company calls the feature a "sham" because such rides in the San Francisco Bay Area are rarely available. Wheelchair users also inevitably end up paying more for their rides because cheaper options such as UberPool and UberPool Express are not available to them, the suit says..

The lawsuit against Lyft is similarly critical of its "access mode," which, instead of connecting a passenger with a wheelchair-accessible Lyft ride, "sends the rider a text message with a link to a website listing phone numbers for paratransit, public transportation agencies, and local taxi companies around the country," the lawsuit read. "Almost a quarter of the links do not work, or are to websites that are irrelevant to people needing accessible transportation."

Not sure I am understanding how a law suit in LA has anything to do with someone on the East coast needing help asap?

There are others that have posted about using UBER with success...is it perfect of course not but for those in bigger city's where it is available people in our community are using it with great success and its much cheaper then cab service.

I dont think any of us need to be told about life and equal access but helping with ideas and self success stories gives others the encouragement of searching out options...

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Not sure I am understanding how a law suit in LA has anything to do with someone on the East coast needing help asap?

There are others that have posted about using UBER with success...is it perfect of course not but for those in bigger city's where it is available people in our community are using it with great success and its much cheaper then cab service.

I dont think any of us need to be told about life and equal access but helping with ideas and self success stories gives others the encouragement of searching out options...
    Agreed. Obviously access for those in power chairs or requiring additional assistance to transfer may suffer decreased access due to the technological and cultural shift from taxi systems to ride hailing apps. It's going to be a complex issue getting a huge company that is exploiting it's poor "private contractor" workforce to get these private contractors to buy wheelchair accessible vehicles and put them on the road at a charged rate that isn't prohibitively expensive. I have a good feeling who's going to lose out on that one.

The question the OP asked was quite specific. He is T10 Asia C and "tansfers are no issue at all". Therefore he should have no problem at all using the regular uber service. I think most paraplegics who are in pretty decent shape and good with transfers will agree that uber and lyft type services are quite convenient and definitely a feasible option for someone asking about what can get done in the next 24 hours.

Let us know if you used one of the ride hailing apps and how it went, LJH. Sounds like your appointment was today.

Hello All,
    Just wanted to let you all know how it went. Worked perfectly, both rides were perfectly on time and the drivers were totally accommodating. The first car was a '09 Merc S500. The chair had to be broken down to get in the trunk but no worries. I did have to laugh when we started to drive away as the dash looked like Tokyo at night with a CEL, TPS, and other assorted lights indicating there were issues. Talking to the driver I asked how many miles were on it and it had 225K miles.... I think the guy was just in over his head with an "older" top of the line German car. For pick up I get the notification that my driver was on the way and got a bit nervous when I saw it was a '18 Toyota 4Runner, I was wondering if I was going to be able to get in because of the height. The driver could not have been nicer and asked if I needed help, I said I might but let me give it a go. There was a "holy S&*t" handle on the A pillar and I just hoisted myself up and in with no issues. The chair fit in the back without it being taken apart.

All in all it worked great, the first driver did not have much to say but the second driver was super nice.

Cheers,
    Jim