Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Live Tv

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Saint Petersburg , Florida
    Posts
    863

    Live Tv

    We are wanting to get rid of cable because of the price. We looking for suggestions on live tv. We have Samsung smart tvs.

  2. #2
    Senior Member landrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    943
    I’ve had a hate/hate relationship with my cable provider. A couple years ago I canceled (of course still paying for internet) and bought a tv antenna. My big requirement was still being able to watch my local NFL team. I tried Sling TV during that time, but seemed to always have connection issues. When I moved, I decided to sign up for cable again. Last week I cancelled, mostly over dispute of them removing NFL Network from my package, yet keeping the price the same. I signed up for a free trial of Playstation Vue. A couple issues: I use Amazon Echo to control my stations, and Playstation Vue could not be controlled by Alexa (unless using Fire TV). Second, although there are currently no streaming restrictions, I had concern with how much I would use. So I went back to cable, but fortunately received a lower price with NFL Network included!!

  3. #3
    We do not use cable at our house. We get great over the air reception of our local stations. Because they all have 2-3 sub channels, we have access to about 30. We are also wifi connected to our internet. The smart TV gives us access to Netflix and a few other streaming channels using the internet. Additionally, there are other streaming services such as Sling and more recently Spectrum, that enable you to enroll in a non contract custom selected channel set. I then use Chromecast to put them on the TV. In sum, we have an abundance of Tv channels without cable. The reality is that most of our viewing is done on our 4 public TV channels. We do have an outside antenna for over the air channels but found that we can get most of them with rabbit ears.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  4. #4
    Senior Member bigtop1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Greater metropolitan Detroit area
    Posts
    323
    One thing that we all must agree on is that cable TV has gotten out of hand with their costs. Crazy.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

  5. #5
    I dropped my cable and only use only over air reception with my antenna for local stations. I have about 25 channels.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I?ve had a hate/hate relationship with my cable provider. A couple years ago I canceled (of course still paying for internet) and bought a tv antenna. My big requirement was still being able to watch my local NFL team. I tried Sling TV during that time, but seemed to always have connection issues. When I moved, I decided to sign up for cable again. Last week I cancelled, mostly over dispute of them removing NFL Network from my package, yet keeping the price the same. I signed up for a free trial of Playstation Vue. A couple issues: I use Amazon Echo to control my stations, and Playstation Vue could not be controlled by Alexa (unless using Fire TV). Second, although there are currently no streaming restrictions, I had concern with how much I would use. So I went back to cable, but fortunately received a lower price with NFL Network included!!
    landrover...1st cable doesn't really have the much NFL because the contract is with Direct, so other then local which you get free I was telling Hack last night on FB he should look at IPTV that is live TV streamed via hardware to your tv.

    For NFL you get all the games at no charge.

    Cost is $5.00 a month for one device at a time or $8 to watch tvs at one time or $10 for 5 devices at one time!

    So we have internet at $59 and IPTV for $10 this way my Wife can watch her programs, I can watch mine and we have 2 relitives using it at there homes off our account.

    We use Eternal TV for the last year but they are not adding new customers.

    But Kodi Solutions is.

    You get all sports, all movies even free UFC.

    If your buffering with Sling you might update your modem if its older then 2 years old!!

    Its nice to when we travel we can watch live TV on the plan from our iPads or phones!


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    We are wanting to get rid of cable because of the price. We looking for suggestions on live tv. We have Samsung smart tvs.
    We've never had cable -- because everyone tells us "there's nothing on!" (So, why pay for "nothing"? )

    Years ago, I bought a pair of "HDHomeRun" digital dual-OTA-tuners and tethered them to a "media tank" (basically, just a fancy disk drive). Each of the devices lets us "tune" two DTV channels (along with all of their subchannels) and route the video to disk (for later viewing) or to a TV (for live viewing).

    The rationale behind "buying two" was that we could each be watching a live broadcast (on separate TVs) AND recording another broadcast at the same time. In reality, this has never happened. And, only rarely do we need to watch one while recording another (so, a single "dual tuner" would suffice).

    Of course, rather than admitting this error, we now rationalize the "extra device" as a spare to have on hand in case the first dies!

    A not-so-obvious benefit of this approach (video -> disk -> TV) is that we can also watch DVD's by mounting them on the "disk machine". For us, this is a win as most of our "watching" involves DVDs borrowed from the local public library...

  8. #8
    Senior Member landrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    landrover...1st cable doesn't really have the much NFL because the contract is with Direct, so other then local which you get free I was telling Hack last night on FB he should look at IPTV that is live TV streamed via hardware to your tv.

    For NFL you get all the games at no charge.

    Cost is $5.00 a month for one device at a time or $8 to watch tvs at one time or $10 for 5 devices at one time!

    So we have internet at $59 and IPTV for $10 this way my Wife can watch her programs, I can watch mine and we have 2 relitives using it at there homes off our account.

    We use Eternal TV for the last year but they are not adding new customers.

    But Kodi Solutions is.

    You get all sports, all movies even free UFC.

    If your buffering with Sling you might update your modem if its older then 2 years old!!

    Its nice to when we travel we can watch live TV on the plan from our iPads or phones!

    I don't have cable for watching NFL games. I do like watching the NFL Network though. As long as I can watch my Super Bowl Champion Eagles (!!!), I'm content, and I've always been able to, with cable or antenna.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I don't have cable for watching NFL games. I do like watching the NFL Network though. As long as I can watch my Super Bowl Champion Eagles (!!!), I'm content, and I've always been able to, with cable or antenna.
    You get the Sunday ticket and all the games so for $5 its a great deal!

  10. #10
    Senior Member landrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    943
    HACK...what have you decided?

Similar Threads

  1. do we eat to live?or do we live to eat?
    By adi chicago in forum Life
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 03:11 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2002, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •