Thread: Ascending colostomy and anaesthesia

Ascending colostomy and anaesthesia

Hi,

I'm c5c6 quadriplegic since 2003. My bowl become very lazy and take all my day without the feeling to be empty. My mum have to make manual extraction without stools don't come out and it's verry painful for me as for my mum who is become old and ill.

The first time my GI surgery suggested ileostomy for him colostomy will be a waste of time then i refused, it will be a mess and radical for me who weighs a fews.
    After a hole discussion he suggested ascending colostomy, this will be the limit of my body.

Does it worth it ? have any one with right side colostomy ?
    Also due to my lung weakness is it possible to make Spinal anaesthesia ?

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman View Post
    Hi,

I'm c5c6 quadriplegic since 2003. My bowl become very lazy and take all my day without the feeling to be empty. My mum have to make manual extraction without stools don't come out and it's verry painful for me as for my mum who is become old and ill.

The first time my GI surgery suggested ileostomy for him colostomy will be a waste of time then i refused, it will be a mess and radical for me who weighs a fews.
    After a hole discussion he suggested ascending colostomy, this will be the limit of my body.

Does it worth it ? have any one with right side colostomy ?
    Also due to my lung weakness is it possible to make Spinal anaesthesia ?
    Before we discuss colostomy, let us know what kind of bowel program you are using. Do you use any laxatives? Do you use Magic Bullets or Enemeez? Do you use any fiber products? What is your diet like? Do you drink enough (but not too much) water?

Maybe if you can get you bowel program working well again, you could avoid a major surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Before we discuss colostomy, let us know what kind of bowel program you are using. Do you use any laxatives? Do you use Magic Bullets or Enemeez?
    Alot ! and all off them and they are useless. Muscles dont work, i drink to much water so my bladder contacts and it help a little but i have to extract manually and it's painfull (AD) for me us for my keeper. Plus i'm doing that every 3 days in a bed, i have no choice...

Why did your Dr. rule out the Sigmoid colostomy? Is something else going on like megacolon or other colon issue? My routine was taking hours with constant stimulation from above & below.

As for lung capacity & anesthesia, do you have weakness other than what is typical for a c5-6 quad? I am the same level and have no problem with it.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

What specifically is your lung weakness? is it associated with your injury? Or something else like sleep apnea? Or reduced lung capacity?

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    Why did your Dr. rule out the Sigmoid colostomy? Is something else going on like megacolon or other colon issue?
    The Scanner showed faecal stasis in colon

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What specifically is your lung weakness? is it associated with your injury? Or something else like sleep apnea? Or reduced lung capacity?

pbr
    It's associeted to my injury and muscle weakness. After my accident i got a tracheotomy left about a mounth until i recovered normal breath now they fear if recovering breath after anesthesia will not be done fast. I have lost to much weight and mucles.

ok i give up. may be it's the end. i have no reason to rest, my life is becoming a loop of pain only death will release me.

I hope that you don't give up! Yo have much to offer the world. I think that people are trying to understand your physician's attitude about the sigmoid colostomy. did he say why besides the above? Is there too much chance that it would not work?

I have known many people who have opted for a colostomy - and are very happy they did so. Many wished they had done it sooner. the key to successful management is the placement of the stoma. That can be worked out with an Ostomy nurse and the surgeon. I would encourage you to go to the Ostomy website and do some reading before abandoning this idea.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I hope that you don't give up! Yo have much to offer the world. I think that people are trying to understand your physician's attitude about the sigmoid colostomy. did he say why besides the above? Is there too much chance that it would not work?
    He think that my bowel was "paralyzed" and would better to disconnect it by opening ileo area. I refused because it will be hard to manage, known the ileostomy it's a really mess, it will evacuate all the meal. i can't support that, i'm very weak and living with high level of disability in a third world country with my old mum as my caregiver...such a difficult situation.

The second time i have met the surgery, he proposed to go a little upper. According to him stool will be less frequent and will take a little time to be absorbed. He can't do much better.

I don't know, i think right side surgery will not offer a big advantage. It's terrible, i can't stop thinking, i sleep just few hours, living with the idea to end my life. my mother is very ill, she have hernia with polyarthritis, high blood pressure, and i don't won't to see her suffering again, she deserve a better life.

You need to talk to someone about your feelings and also your situation. There are resources out there for you - you just need to find the. Is there an Independent LivingCenter or program that you can tap into? How about where you were for your rehab? Do they have any support for outpatients? If you have none of these, reach out to your primary care physician/provider. You shouldn't be going through this alone.
    ckf