Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Beast"

"The Beast"

First outing for "The Beast"...my son appears to be happy!

https://youtu.be/fGlIZqC4Ao8

A few modifications are still required (mentioned in the video description), then it will go through some extensive off-road (and beach) testing!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Wow! That looks awesome!

that is so neat for him great dad

Blog Entries
    Wow, that looks like fun! Put a helmet on that kid! Well done.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Awesome! Looks like a blast!

hi, great video , looks like he is having a blast! what type of front wheel did you use? looks like a direct drive hub motor? I just converted one of my recumbent bikes to a front drive EZee Hub motor, I started out converting a tadpole trike ,but i wanted to be able to ride the bike in NYC , and i would have been road kill on the greenspeed tadpole. The extreme price drop /weifgt and increased amphours of the new lithium batteries , all a result of the e-car engineering has really pushed e-assist development
    cauda equina

Wonderful, you can adopt me anytime.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    hi, great video , looks like he is having a blast! what type of front wheel did you use? looks like a direct drive hub motor? I just converted one of my recumbent bikes to a front drive EZee Hub motor, I started out converting a tadpole trike ,but i wanted to be able to ride the bike in NYC , and i would have been road kill on the greenspeed tadpole. The extreme price drop /weifgt and increased amphours of the new lithium batteries , all a result of the e-car engineering has really pushed e-assist development
    I ordered a DIY kit from this Chinese company:
    http://www.theebikemotor.com/pro_diy...=eBike%20D.I.Y

I hadn't used them before, but I've played around with a few ebike kits etc over the last few years, and they all seem to be pretty good quality. I was a bit sceptical about their claim of 10-15 days delivery, but it arrived on our doorstep well within 15 days, and about 4 days after I was advised it had left the factory (which is amazingly fast from previous experience). I didn't need to order a battery, so that probably helped the delivery time.

For the front forks it was easiest just to buy a whole kid's 20" fat bike and remove the bits I needed. (Now, does anyone want to buy 4/5ths of a kid's fat bike?!?)

Whether it's e-car or ebike engineering that has improved batteries I'm not sure, but I am very thankful that there are so many ebike and bike suppliers and components now. Really the only difficult part in building one of these "Beasts" is working out how to make the connection between "Beast" and wheelchair...the rest is readily available.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Wonderful, you can adopt me anytime.
    You may need to join the queue...we rode past my son's old primary school yesterday just at home time. There were lots of positive comments and "I want one" comments! Sadly, nobody said the same about the electric skateboard that I was on!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Wow, that looks like fun! Put a helmet on that kid! Well done.
    Yes, he has been told!