Thread: spot on ischial

spot on ischial

every summer i get a red spot like pimple on my right ischial its back been there about a month and a half only thing i do different in summer is cut grass and ride my handcycle i check after rides and no red spots then oneday this thing just pops up i use a varalite zoid cushion on bike and jay2 on chair thought of putting jay on bike but the zoids noy leaving marks could it be a heat issue

i tried the stimulite sport didnt care for it
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

It could be a hair or skin follicle that is irritated by friction/shearing and heat
    keep your skin clean to prevent infection- wash your skin before and after riding
    consider placing a foam dressing or duoderm or tegaderm over the area to prevent shearing
    pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It could be a hair or skin follicle that is irritated by friction/shearing and heat
    keep your skin clean to prevent infection- wash your skin before and after riding
    consider placing a foam dressing or duoderm or tegaderm over the area to prevent shearing
    pbr

thanks nurse i was wondering about the shearing ill see about getting those tegaderm dressing things how long does each one last

If the seal on a tegaderm dressing is good it can stay indefinitely. Skin prep application to the area will make the skin sticky and help the tegaderm adhere better

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I don't mean to start a fight, but would try Mepilex border instead of the teg. Also might try AD lotion like a baby and/or some cotton underwear to help with the heat and friction. I don't know the Zoid, but the J's don't breath. The stimulite does and so do some of the foams. I use a chunk of foam from a Mercedes out of the junk yard. Its got a bunch of tiny holes in it.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I don't mean to start a fight, but would try Mepilex border instead of the teg. Also might try AD lotion like a baby and/or some cotton underwear to help with the heat and friction. I don't know the Zoid, but the J's don't breath. The stimulite does and so do some of the foams. I use a chunk of foam from a Mercedes out of the junk yard. Its got a bunch of tiny holes in it.
    do u use the foam on your bike or chair or both
    thanks for the input its gotta be something about heat cause its there all summer just a raised redish bump
    i know i bounce and slide on the mower even if going slow maybe i should try and rig a cushion on it too

maybe the foam or something