Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lifts for vans

lifts for vans

is there any where you can buy them other than a dealer or ebay mobility wants to charge me 8k for a new 1

eBay or Craigslist is probably your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    is there any where you can buy them other than a dealer or ebay mobility wants to charge me 8k for a new 1
    Rusty is correct. But mobility dealers seem to have exclusivity on new ones though.

You should be able to find a used one under $500 near you on Craigslist.org, if not Ebay.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I see them but I am so not knowledge able about them I am afraid

vjls, Main thing is if you go used route is check if any local lift shop will service/repair if not bought through them.
    Even if you buy used either from lift shop or some other source, who will install? Here lift shops want to replace wiring and often plates to floor, EXPENSIVE installation!

Next a new lift is worthless depending on how well the techs that work on it! Check others that have had repairs and service by place you buy/install it.

Most any lift you can find installation/service manuals for free online.

One things hits us most often is limit switches needing adjusted over last few years but lift now is over 15 years old.
    If I was able I think even I could figure out limit switches( I may be wrong which I often am), just screw adjustments but have be able take tower covers off to reach them. The locations and how to adjust are online by maker but I can't do physical remove covers.

First 10 years on current lift had no problems except in for service/check every 6 months. Then stuff started needing repairs, usually noting major just seals on hydraulic arms. Use just be seals then changed that to have replace as unit the brass end with seals already mounted in them.

Our lift shop sold to new outfit and so far takes at least 2 trips get it fixed, long drive. Currently think Deploy limit switch is out of adjust, have to cycle through Stow Deploy a couple times before fully Deploy position so will go Down. But with heat coupled with long drive plus figure have go back again for repair I just waiting til cooler weather.
    Last edited by MikeP2013; 07-17-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Keep it small and simple. Electrical lifts are smaller and simpler than hydraulics. Ricon Uni-Lite is the way to go IMO. I saw one for $700 on eBay.

Another option is to buy an older van for about $3K that has a working lift. That way, you get the lift for less than half price and the van is essentially free. Remove the lift from the van you just bought, install the lift into your van, and then sell the van that you just bought for whatever it costs you to remove and install the lift. Better yet, play your cards right by rebuilding the van and selling it for more so you essentially get the lift for free or close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    vjls, Main thing is if you go used route is check if any local lift shop will service/repair if not bought through them.
    Even if you buy used either from lift shop or some other source, who will install? Here lift shops want to replace wiring and often plates to floor, EXPENSIVE installation!

Next a new lift is worthless depending on how well the techs that work on it! Check others that have had repairs and service by place you buy/install it.

Most any lift you can find installation/service manuals for free online.

One things hits us most often is limit switches needing adjusted over last few years but lift now is over 15 years old.
    If I was able I think even I could figure out limit switches( I may be wrong which I often am), just screw adjustments but have be able take tower covers off to reach them. The locations and how to adjust are online by maker but I can't do physical remove covers.

First 10 years on current lift had no problems except in for service/check every 6 months. Then stuff started needing repairs, usually noting major just seals on hydraulic arms. Use just be seals then changed that to have replace as unit the brass end with seals already mounted in them.

Our lift shop sold to new outfit and so far takes at least 2 trips get it fixed, long drive. Currently think Deploy limit switch is out of adjust, have to cycle through Stow Deploy a couple times before fully Deploy position so will go Down. But with heat coupled with long drive plus figure have go back again for repair I just waiting til cooler weather.
    and I have already had bad experic with the 2 in tallay where I live the guys will install it and take care of as they do all the lifts for the county and school

I have down loaded manual from braun the vanguard it works up down but you got to use over ride also

looking at the lift you said hnn lot more now than when I looked but I am not real smart about searching

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Keep it small and simple. Electrical lifts are smaller and simpler than hydraulics. Ricon Uni-Lite is the way to go IMO. I saw one for $700 on eBay.

Another option is to buy an older van for about $3K that has a working lift. That way, you get the lift for less than half price and the van is essentially free. Remove the lift from the van you just bought, install the lift into your van, and then sell the van that you just bought for whatever it costs you to remove and install the lift. Better yet, play your cards right by rebuilding the van and selling it for more so you essentially get the lift for free or close to it.

The Ricon Uni-Lite is a great lift.

Most of the older lifts are easily
    serviced (when you know how to) and in many cases work better than newer lifts.

more of the problems come from people not knowing how to figure out whats wrong and fix the lift properly.

jim

Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Our first lift for full size van was a commercial lift installed by a local trucking company. That was in 1973. The one "disability lift" we had looked at was way more expensive. The truck lift was decent but could easily hit the sliding door at the side of the van. All our lifts after that were through a mobility company.

Just for fun I just googled industrial truck lifts and saw the Tommygate for cargo vans. It looks like it's on a full size van that businesses use for delivery, etc. It looks similar to a "disability lift" but I have no idea about the cost.