Thread: FreeWheel keeps falling off perch

FreeWheel keeps falling off perch

I’ve been using the freewheel daily for many years now, but have been having a problem recently where it doesn’t clamp tightly anymore, and tends to fall off randomly when clamped on the perch. I replaced the rubber cup on the bottom of the clamp, thinking that the old one had just flattened out a bit over the years, but it still feels really lose when clamping onto both the perch and footrest.
    Does anyone have advice how how to adjust it so that it clamps more firmly?
    Thanks,
    -Brian

Blog Entries
    Yep. Happened to mine too, after 5-6 years. I JB Welded a dime to the flat side of the bracket where the clamp on the Freewheel attaches. Ghetto, but has been like that for another 5 years.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

unless they have changed from the time I got mine ( a very long time ago ) the clamp length is adjustable. look up a manual, its not hard to do.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, There is an Allen bolt inside the black anodized dog leg piece that connects to the back of the footrest. You can tighten that down to tighten the clamping pressure on the footrest. This won't affect the tension on the carry perch though. For that, you need to add material to the perch. I got the dime idea from the designer of the Freewheel, actually. It's a known issue that happens over time and lots of use. (IIRC it's the silver curved end opening up a few thousandths. It takes the brunt of the impact forces when rolling.)

(Also, I get a much better clamp without the rubber grommet on the curved section. Ditched that years ago. It was too flexible and broke down over time. I prefer metal on metal.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Oh, I'm sorry I forgot what the perch was, I've not used it for probably ten years or more. I use the freewheel on my farm mostly and rarely take it off until I'm done.

Blog Entries
    Oh, no worries, he was having trouble keeping it on the footrest too. It definitely sounds like it needs a tune-up and that adjustment you mentioned. After the first few years mine had become pretty loose (and rusty on a few parts) too. I took it apart, cleaned it really good, coated the high carbon steel bits, and used some medium (blue) Loc-Tite on all the threads when reassembling. That was ~5 years ago and it's been running great. Best manual wheelchair accessory on the market IMO.

Hey guys , thanks for the tips! I’m on vacation at the moment, but will disassemble the freewheel when ingest home and see if I can’t adjust things a bit. Oddity, would you mind posting a photo or two of the dime welded to it? I am having trouble picturing what you did there.
    sis removing the rubber cup change the diameter of the clamp when it attaches?
    Again, thanks for the help - this thing is driving me a bit bananas! I never realized how much I used the perch until it stopped working.