Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feet swelling in the summer heat ! this happen to anyone else

Even without summer... beginning in 2016 I began to have much more swelling in my feet, ankles and lower extremities. I began to have A LOT of stress and I contribute to that. It is also called "Dependent Edema" which the SCI nurse kind of describes without giving it the diagnosis of "Dependent Edema."

NW-Will this is something I have dealt with for years, so can empathise with you. For the past year I have been having regular leg massages, every 2 - 3 weeks, with an Occupational Therapist, and have found this helps with the swelling, especially in summer.

She will start at the top of the thigh and massage the fluid upwards and away from the leg. She gradually moves down toward the toes, massaging the fluid upwards as she goes. She starts at the top of leg as this starts to clear the build up of fluid, so by time she gets to the toes things are starting to move along. While this hasn't eliminated the swelling completely, I can notice a big difference.

I've been told it's not good to have continuous pooling of fluid in the feet and legs, as the fluid is just sitting there and not being circulated around the body, as it would be in someone who could walk.

I wear Elastoplast Tubular Support Bandages on my legs during the day, as I find support stockings too hard to put on. Again, while it doesn't take away all the swelling, it does help to have some compression when my legs are down all day.

Good luck, as I know how frustrating this can be.

I've been injured 29 years and am a C7 complete. The first 5-10 years, I didn't consistently wear serious compression hose. I encountered all the issues mentioned in this thread and more. When I bumped up to wearing 20-30 mmHG hose and figured out how to avoid the bad cross effects, I started wearing them 24/7 except when I shower. It was a game changer for me.

I even developed a saying for foot and leg swelling. Once I've lost my feet and legs to swelling during the day, they're gone for the whole day. I couldn't find a remedy other than to not lose them to swelling. It takes a whole nights sleep to get them to go down for me.

This solution after the cross effects were eliminated is easily in my top 2 breakthrough moments for improving my quality of life with a sci.

I would also encourage you to buy a pair of sneakers at least one, if not two sizes larger. It helps to keep the skin from breaking down due to the pressure and tightness the shoes may provide.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I only notice swelling in my feet and ankles after staying in the chair for extended periods of time. I never noticed any correlation with heat. But that's interesting.

I do notice that shoe selection affects swelling. But it only moves the swelling from point A to point B. I used to wear sneakers. Because of the angle of my feet on the footplate (ankle bent more than 90 degrees) there would be swelling at my ankle around the top of the sneaker. When I wear a high top shoe that rises above my ankle, the swelling doesn't go away. It just moves up to a higher level at the top of the shoe. If I were to decrease the angle of the front tubes so that my ankles aren't bent so much, that may help with the ankle swelling. But the trade off is greater shoulder pain. Because when you decrease the front angle, the front end of the wheelchair sticks out farther, which means you have to reach farther especially for transfers. The only solution I have is compression stockings and getting out of the wheelchair more often to elevate my legs. Raising the foot of the bed helps to elevate the legs even higher.