Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys have a to do list for your caregivers?

I'm through a company. One list for all and I don't really change it. They know who to send because they know better than to send someone that requires me to tell them to wash their hands.

One of the problems with lists is when you have a task set for a specific day and circumstances dictate that it is done outside of this. The classic example is we have floors to be washed every 2 days but I then go out in my chair, it rains and I come back with wet wheels, obviously the floors need cleaning but it isn't the "right" day. This has caused problems with staff not wanting to clean on the wrong day. Common sense needs to be applied.

I would agree on the common sense part. Unfortunately, too many don't have it these days! (lol).....

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Our girls bring indoor shoes they change into on arrival

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    One of the problems with lists is when you have a task set for a specific day and circumstances dictate that it is done outside of this. The classic example is we have floors to be washed every 2 days but I then go out in my chair, it rains and I come back with wet wheels, obviously the floors need cleaning but it isn't the "right" day. This has caused problems with staff not wanting to clean on the wrong day. Common sense needs to be applied.
    Simple fix. Floors are to be washed every 2 days or when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Simple fix. Floors are to be washed every 2 days or when needed.
    Simple to you, unfortunately some staff see a list as a fixed schedule and even if it says when needed my idea of needed differs to theirs. It comes back to common sense which is a rare commodity these days, or is when care staff are only earning $14 ph.

very important when someone is starting. What seems to us to be a straightforward routine can be overwhelming for someone new, especially the sequencing and all of the little steps and chores that are important. as equally important is that it serves as a basis for minimal expectations that is not met to provide the basis for termination. Some people are legitimately forgetful and for these people the list will provide no excuse. For those that are downright lazy or insubordinate, the list is needed to keep honest people honest. Some even have the employees sign the list as acknowledging that these are their duties, though some employees get defensive about signing anything and if paying someone off the books as an employer, one may want to think twice about leaving a signed paper trail.

Simple to you, unfortunately some staff see a list as a fixed schedule and even if it says when needed my idea of needed differs to theirs. It comes back to common sense which is a rare commodity these days, or is when care staff are only earning $14 ph.
    You would think common sense would kick in. But we know how that usually goes. Floors are to be washed everyday! Problem solved. If they don't like move on.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    So, this isn't really worth a post for the purposes of this thread, but of course we make adjustments for each person who is a regular caregiver. They either have a pair of slippers or house only shoes if they prefer that. But no outside shoes in the house. We've never had a person complain or dislike it.

My father's house is a no shoes house. In our part of the country, lots of snow/rain. It just is not polite to expect that you can walk around someone's clean house in dirty/wet etc.. shoes. It really shocks me when people walk right in without hesitating. My father walks with crutches and it is extremely dangerous if there is even a drop of water on the floor.

My father also has an immunodeficiency and his house is kept clean very clean.

I guess we're just odd and unreasonable.

And they hate the shoe covers. Those are for visiting workmen etc.. They are not very safe in a house with all wood floors.
    nope that was the way I was raised farm raised yo boots were dirty a lot of tie u striped in mud room as you were filithy even nnow my son his house no shoes no boots

Common sense v. Caregivers
    Age-old challenge .