Thread: Push to lock brakes

Push to lock brakes

I was checking out the thread on TiLite scissor lock brakes and came across these push to locks http://www.dmehub.net/Composite-Push...p/otf-cptl.htm

I have the scissor locks now but I really struggle with the right side brake because I'm a quad and that's my weaker side. Has anyone used this type of push to lock brake? what did you think? Does the brake handle get in the way when it's in the up position? Also will it work on a Quickie GPV.

appreciate any feedback.

I had quickie's push to lock wheel locks on my old quickie. They were a lot easier for me to use on a bad day (I don't have a SCI), I believe they would work for you if you don't think they'll get into your way. They also make extensions you can put on these levers but I took mine off as they are bulky and I didn't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I have the scissor locks now but I really struggle.
    I notice you said you have scissor locks and not composite scissor locks. Big difference. Have you tried the composite scissor locks? They are a big improvement over the older aluminum scissor locks. Much easier to operate. I haven't tried the ones you posted a link to. But from the picture it seems like they provide more leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I was checking out the thread on TiLite scissor lock brakes and came across these push to locks http://www.dmehub.net/Composite-Push...p/otf-cptl.htm...
    Read review #5 from your link. It sounds like the composites are designed to fail.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I've used the push to lock brakes in the past, and I hate them. For me the handle wasn't the problem, but the brake latch got in the way of pushing, and cut my thumb often.
    The Scissor Pull to Lock Wheel Lock is my favorite. I'm trying to envision how quad friendly it is. though. I'm a quad myself, but the highest (or is it lowest?) you can be, C8. Have you tried these? It might woth checking out AND willing to try and adapt to it, versus adapting it.

Good luck.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I meet a lot of people that adjust them too tight and then they have problems with them breaking or wearing out soon They shouldn't be putting any noticeable dint in your tire, just hold the tire from rolling. You should be able to make the tire move with a fair amount of pushing, assuming you have smooth tires.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    You should be able to make the tire move with a fair amount of pushing, assuming you have smooth tires.
    You don't want the wheel to spin even just a little when you're transferring into the wheelchair. Because you could miss the transfer. Hence, you have to over-tighten the locks or else risk falling.

rockbybay, Yeah I've tried the Quickie push to lock, they are easy to use and hold the wheel tight. But they snag my clothes when I transfer.

August, Yes I have the TiLite composite scissor locks. Love how they are completely out of the way, but if I adjust them so the wheel doesn't move at all when I transfer then I can't lock the right side. I have to loosen it and the wheel slips a little. EDIT - Actually I have Out-Front composite scissor lock brakes by Bike-On but they sure look like the TiLite brakes.

Crappler, Those look like basically the same as the TiLite composite scissor locks (couldn't tell a lot from the picture). Are they the same?

spinner, Are you suggesting that the scissor locks work easier/better on a smooth tire? I've never used smooth tires, I just use the standard Primo 540 tire with tread.

I was asking about this style of push to lock because it looks like the handle swings farther down and out of the way, than standard push to locks. But it looks like it might be in the way when in the upright position.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; 07-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.

they're much easier then the composite brakes. I believe you have to reach under the seat to get to them, right?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    they're much easier then the composite brakes. I believe you have to reach under the seat to get to them, right?
    No, these are the type on my chair http://www.dmehub.net/Compact-Compos...p/otf-cswl.htm

I not able to bend over much because of spasticity so I can't use brakes where you have to reach under the seat.