Thread: osteomylitious?

osteomylitious?

I've been in the hospital since June 1st,because of a pressure sore on my buttocks that developed osteomylitous. Im going to be discharged July 14 the infectious disease doctor said the infection is not completely gone and it's a chance the infection could come back.The doctor also said she will put me on prescription antibiotics but it's not gonna to be as effective as what I was getting in the hospital.I forgot to mention the pressure sore's
    depth was 7cm when I was admitted it's now 2cm, is this common for a patient to be released without the problem being resolved?

Discuss with the doc about a PICC line and receiving antibiotics at home? I did it three times - the first for 13 weeks while working (mini machine with iv lines). Osteomyelitis tends to come back and is very difficult to get rid of in total. That's been my experience anyway.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I had osteomyelitis in one of my ischial tuberosities. I had the bone biopsy done and was treated with iv antibiotics for 5 weeks. The infected bone was removed during the flap surgery. I was said osteomyelitis is very difficult to treat and it nearly always requires to remove the infected bone and aggressive iv antibiotic treatment. If you still have unhealed osteomyelitis, it is very likely that the spot will break open again.

I've got the same situation. I had surgery a few years back to remove some infected pelvis, and a bunch of butt meat. IV antibiotics while inpatient. Now it has reared its ugly head again. I'm taking Ciprofloxacin and Doxyccline Hyclate twice daily. It seems to be keeping things under control.

I have struggled with Osteo since 2000 and I don't think it ever goes away. Too many IV drugs, too many picc lines. It really blows.
    ^^(A)^^

Osteo never truly goes away, unless you are able to take the bone totally away - not always practical. Generally, the goal is to get it dormant or in remission - not symptomatic.

Generally the treatment course is 6 weeks of IV antibiotics, followed by oral antibiotics. If that does not keep it under control or send it into remission, then IV may be the choice for you at home. It is not difficult to learn to do and is much easier than being in the hospital, in my opinion.

I am surprised that they kept you as long as they did. It is not uncommon to start the program of treatment and then send someone home to finish it. That has been true for awhile and helps to keep you healthier (the hospital is not a healthy place to be) and to keep costs down. If you are uncomfortable with the plan, let you provider know. If you would prefer to stay on IV antibiotics, there may be a way to do that.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks all for your info Friday will be my last day on IV antibiotics,i'll be taking oral antibiotics over the weekend and if all goes well I'll be discharged on Tuesday.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. Enjoy being home!

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.