Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What wheel size should I get?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Well.. from the history and personal measurement it holds.
    The original idea of the sizing was to represent the outside diameter of the wheel and tire fully inflated.

From personally measuring wheelchair wheels and tires with your standard 1" tires I get.

(559) 25*1 fully inflated gives me an outside diameter of 24 7/8"
    (590) 26*1 fully inflated gives me an outside diameter of 25 7/8"
    (622) 27*1 fully inflated gives me an outside diameter of 26 7/8"

so yes when I put the wheels next to each other between a 25" and 27" wheel there is a 2" height difference when the tires are on and fully inflated. only moves the center of the hub 1" though.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    That's what I thought you meant. Just seems odd that a tire alone can make up the 2" difference (25" vs 27" wheel). If I recall correctly, 25" and 27" wheels aren't really 25" and 27" so maybe that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Well.. from the history and personal measurement it holds.
    The original idea of the sizing was to represent the outside diameter of the wheel and tire fully inflated.

From personally measuring wheelchair wheels and tires with your standard 1" tires I get.

(559) 25*1 fully inflated gives me an outside diameter of 24 7/8"
    (590) 26*1 fully inflated gives me an outside diameter of 25 7/8"
    (622) 27*1 fully inflated gives me an outside diameter of 26 7/8"

so yes when I put the wheels next to each other between a 25" and 27" wheel there is a 2" height difference when the tires are on and fully inflated. only moves the center of the hub 1" though.
    So there really is a 2" difference. I would like to try just to see how it feels. But I am pretty sure I would be shrugging my shoulders with the extra height.

Another rule of thumb is that your shoulders should be neutral over the entire range of push.
    I hadn't hear of this. Good to know. With my current setup (25" wheels) I dont need to shrug at all over the full range, bug I find I do all the time. Maybe this means I have bad form.

I haven't heard anyone else say this rule of thumb. But it is my rule of thumb. Good form is when your hands go to the fully backward position on the hand rim, your shoulder blades pinch toward each other rather than shrugging. That way you get more arm and back into the push. Distributing the work over more muscle groups helps reduce wear and tear on the shoulder. I never gave this any thought until I had to. Form is very important to me now that I have bad shoulders. Perhaps I wouldn't have bad shoulder if I paid more attention to form a long time ago.

It's one thing if you have bad form because of a bad habit. You can correct a bad habit. It's another thing if you have bad form because your hand rims are too high. You can't correct that (other than replacing the wheel with a smaller one).

I haven't heard anyone else say this rule of thumb. But it is my rule of thumb. Good form is when your hands go to the fully backward position on the hand rim, your shoulder blades pinch toward each other rather than shrugging. That way you get more arm and back into the push. Distributing the work over more muscle groups helps reduce wear and tear on the shoulder. I never gave this any thought until I had to. Form is very important to me now that I have bad shoulders. Perhaps I wouldn't have bad shoulder if I paid more attention to form a long time ago.

It's one thing if you have bad form because of a bad habit. You can correct a bad habit. It's another thing if you have bad form because your hand rims are too high. You can't correct that (other than replacing the wheel with a smaller one).

It's the way I was taught also August. The group I played sports with in Vancouver were used for testing at the University of British Columbia. We were the first wheelers tested in their new, at the time, Sports lab. Rick Hansen, Terry Fox, Murray Brown and a few others were part of it. Terry was still doing chemo, Rick was just learning to drive a car. Dang that was probably 1976-'77.

The axles were just large bolts; no quick release back then. I always carried an extra bolt and nut in case of an axle breaking. Happened fairly regularly. Was fun playing in a 52lb lightweight E&J w/c.

Thanks for all the input. Followup question: for those in the US (or elsewhere) who purchase wheels online who do you go through? Sportaid.com has been my typical shop.

thanks,
    Patrick

Alkaline, just noticed you’re in San Jose. I have two sets of 26” 590 wheels available if interested. I have the sun fusion 16 wheels and a set of spinergy everyday spok. Let me know if you’re interested. Send me an email as I’m not on here often enough. Steve.lau.810@gmail.com

I’m also 6’ tall and I recently downsized to 25” 559 due to a recent shoulder injury. The larger the wheel the harder the start stop is for your shoulders. Since I went to 25” my shoulder pain has reduced, including other factors such as lighter transfer weight of the wheels, shorter push stroke, etc.
    Last edited by outkastsl; 07-14-2018 at 03:25 AM.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.