Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wheel size should I get?

What wheel size should I get?

I need to get some new wheels. I've used Spinergy XLX and really have liked them, but recently some of my spokes and spoke-to-wheel attachments have broken and I think it may be time to get new ones.

My question is around what size I should get. I currently have 25" wheels but am interested in possibly getting 26" for the new ones. The reason is that I feel currently like I have to bend over a lot when I push forward, and think the larger size may help with that. Currently, when I hold my arms straight down my fingers are just past the hub of the wheels. I'm 6 feet tall.

Any advise, or suggestions on the wheel size? Does 26" wheels pose any problems, or do they sound crazy? Is anyone else riding on 26"?

thanks!
    -Patrick
    Last edited by alkaline; 07-09-2018 at 04:28 PM.

I'm also wondering if I should simply get a couple replacement spokes and don't need the full wheel

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    How tall are you?
    are you putting the 26" wheels onto your current chair? Is your chair adjustable ? so you can adjust the center of gravity, brakes etc..
    do you only use regular 1" wide tires? (regular wheelchair non-marking tire size etc) 26" wheels have a really limited tire selection... 25" wheels have an amazing tire selection.
    How much dump do you have in your chair? Depending how tall you are, will effect your push stroke efficiency.

I started out with 26" wheels..... moved to 25" for the tire selection .... and have moved to 27" all the advantages of why road bikes go for bigger wheels. plus figured out the tire wheel combination with 25" wheels to achieve the same diameter as standard 27" wheels.
    works for me.
    worth trying if it interests you for sure.

I'm 6' with a good amount of dump in my chair... pretty much sit right on top of the axle.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    figured out the tire wheel combination with 25" wheels to achieve the same diameter as standard 27" wheels.
    Not sure what you mean. Please elaborate.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Please elaborate.
    my chair is set up for standard 27" wheels running regular non-marking tires.... center of gravity, brakes etc..
    Then fitting the right tires to my 25" wheels and 26" wheels I interchange all the wheels without having to change anything.

Picture below..
    All the wheels are on the same axle in the picture.
    Then the six wheels left to right are 25",26",27",27",26", 25"
    hope that makes sense.

How tall are you?
    are you putting the 26" wheels onto your current chair? Is your chair adjustable ? so you can adjust the center of gravity, brakes etc..
    do you only use regular 1" wide tires? (regular wheelchair non-marking tire size etc) 26" wheels have a really limited tire selection... 25" wheels have an amazing tire selection.
    How much dump do you have in your chair? Depending how tall you are, will effect your push stroke efficiency.

I started out with 26" wheels..... moved to 25" for the tire selection .... and have moved to 27" all the advantages of why road bikes go for bigger wheels. plus figured out the tire wheel combination with 25" wheels to achieve the same diameter as standard 27" wheels.
    works for me.
    worth trying if it interests you for sure.

I'm 6' with a good amount of dump in my chair... pretty much sit right on top of the axle.
    Wow, I didnt realize that 27" were even made. I have quite a bit of dump. Chair is adjustable so that is not an issue. I also sit right over my axles (my hands pass them as I let them drop naturaly). I'm 6'.
    I use Shox tires which are very small.

I started with 25" 559 wheels and wanted to go bigger (to be fair this was my first chair, so nothing was setup right), my second chair I went with 26" 590 wheels, and I run Schwalbe marathon pluses on them. I'm perfectly happy with the 26" wheels and like them better than the 559 wheels, but I'm switching back to 559 on my next chair, because I blew out a 590 tire while I was working out of town and had to rush order a 590 tire for $100 extra shipping cost and three days rolling around with a deflated tire on a rim trying to get shit done at work.

Turns out 590 tires are impossible to find except for online. I was in a city of 1 million people and no bike shops had any, no wheelchair stores had any, I just couldn't find any. So while I was being frustrated by the lack of wheels I started asking around, all of the bike shops had cheap 559 tires that the could have thrown on the rims while I waited for a pair of marathon pluses to come in. So for that reason, and that reason alone I will be switching to the smaller tire that I like less. I hope that there will be a fair amount of traveling in my future and I don't want to get stranded in bum f$%k nowhere with a ruined tire and no way to fix it.

my chair is set up for standard 27" wheels running regular non-marking tires.... center of gravity, brakes etc..
    Then fitting the right tires to my 25" wheels and 26" wheels I interchange all the wheels without having to change anything.

Picture below..
    All the wheels are on the same axle in the picture.
    Then the six wheels left to right are 25",26",27",27",26", 25"
    hope that makes sense.

That's what I thought you meant. Just seems odd that a tire alone can make up the 2" difference (25" vs 27" wheel). If I recall correctly, 25" and 27" wheels aren't really 25" and 27" so maybe that's why.

Blog Entries
    A couple Spinergy spikes are cheap and easy to replace. I wouldn't do more than a couple, personally.

The rule of thumb is finger tips to the center of the hub, but I wouldn't take that as gospel. It has to be comfortable for you, too. If your fingers are just beyond the top of the hub, bigger might not help with reaching for a good push, but if they're hanging over the bottom, then it seems reasonable to me. That would raise your fingers to ~the middle of the hub, I think.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    A couple Spinergy spikes are cheap and easy to replace. I wouldn't do more than a couple, personally.

The rule of thumb is finger tips to the center of the hub, but I wouldn't take that as gospel. It has to be comfortable for you, too. If your fingers are just beyond the top of the hub, bigger might not help with reaching for a good push, but if they're hanging over the bottom, then it seems reasonable to me. That would raise your fingers to ~the middle of the hub, I think.
    Another rule of thumb is that your shoulders should be neutral over the entire range of push.

I've haven't tried 27" wheels because I am the verge of shrugging my shoulders when my hands are in the fully backward position on the hand rim with 25" wheels. I'm actually thinking of going to 24" wheels for this reason.