Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Younger caregivers and phones

Mac85- Yes!

If this is through an agency their policy needs to be strict and enforced. I never have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    If this is through an agency their policy needs to be strict and enforced. I never have this problem.
    The agency works through the Medicaid Waiver program and only pays minimum wage. They have trouble getting good workers with paying minimum wage and no benefits so they usually let this sort of thing slide unless they commit worse infractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    The agency works through the Medicaid Waiver program and only pays minimum wage.
    There lies the problem. I have this theory that most people who aspire to earn minimum wage 'work' on the premise that less effort equates to more income, relatively speaking.
    Which has a logic if you recognise that working 4 hours of a 8 hour shift at, say, $8/hour means you have effectively doubled your income

It happens here in the UK as well. Care company have a policy and we require all phones to be switched off and left in a jacket or bag. Care company give their staff our landline number and staff can give it to close family to be used in an emergency. We also demanded a care company policy on staff using our wifi for tablets/laptops but instead they just tell staff not to use the internet. We have relaxed this for those on waking nights. Younger team members complain at first but realise that they won't have a job. We pay better rates than any local care company which helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    The agency works through the Medicaid Waiver program and only pays minimum wage. They have trouble getting good workers with paying minimum wage and no benefits so they usually let this sort of thing slide unless they commit worse infractions.
    That's brutal.

Years ago we got along fine without them. We pay higher car ins. because of these things. They got there place just not driving and working a job.
    Art

One of my replacement workers started this evening. She's closer to my age and I told her exactly why the other two were let go. We got along well so I'm hoping things work out.
    I also explained it to my weekend morning worker. If this doesn't work, I'm going to have a Faraday cage installed in my room to block electronic signals.