Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Younger caregivers and phones

Younger caregivers and phones

I'm letting a couple caregivers go tomorrow. The main reason is because of their phones. They will not put them away. Even when they are feeding me... I wait for a bite between their texts/game levels. I have a 72 year old worker, who might be slower than my two that will be replaced, but he does more work in one shift than the other two do in three. The only time he uses the phone to make a call. It seems like younger people cannot live without constant phone contact.

These workers work through an agency and they are told not to use their phones and I told one of the two workers that she was replacing someone who would not put down their phone, even while I was being fed and she still did it anyway.

Have any of you had to deal with this phenomenon?

It's a problem. We had constant struggles with prohibiting cell phone use among our younger professional (RN) nursing staff when I was working, even having to take disciplinary action against some who were using their cell phones around patients and at other times than their allowed break times.

With my mother's caregivers, we did include no use of cell phones except for emergencies while on duty in the contract we had with them, and had several who ignored these rules, and yes, that was a factor in their termination.

Maybe try to recruit/hire only middle-aged or older PCAs? Did you complain to the agency?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It's a problem. We had constant struggles with prohibiting cell phone use among our younger professional (RN) nursing staff when I was working, even having to take disciplinary action against some who were using their cell phones around patients and at other times than their allowed break times.

With my mother's caregivers, we did include no use of cell phones except for emergencies while on duty in the contract we had with them, and had several who ignored these rules, and yes, that was a factor in their termination.

Maybe try to recruit/hire only middle-aged or older PCAs? Did you complain to the agency?

(KLD)
    I complained last year with the past worker and for a couple days the use went down, but eventually went back to full immersion. I would actually ask for a bite of food and she'd say "just a sec!" My new caregiver that will replace one worker is in his later 40's/early 50's... hopefully I won't have this problem.

I just can't understand the mentality that thinks its okay to stare at a screen for 5 hours while working.

I require my PCAs to leave their phone on the table with their time sheet when they sign in. They can use them when there is a break from my care. One has small children and i have allowed her to carry her phone a couple of times when they had a problem. She has not abused the situation. Two of my caretakers are in their mid-thirties and the other one just turned 60.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I'm at my wits end. New guy came today, he's 54, and after a get to know you session, I look over and he's on his phone. This country/world is screwed. I give up.

I like SCIfor55's solution to this. Make him turn his cell phone off and put it away...perhaps in a lock box for which only you have the key!! Let him have it back on his break and as he heads home only.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I didn't get a real good vibe from this guy, plus he uses dip, which my mom despises, so I'm going to call the agency and see if they have someone else.

This bothers me too but I was lucky to land a caregiver that is 25 and does not use her phone at all - only in emergenccies. I was really surprised...

My 45-year-old caregiver is on the phone all the time...

I bought a new router that has a feature to turn the Wi-Fi off or block someone that is on your Wi-Fi.
    Whenever I can't get someone to do something I turn the Wi-Fi off for them ha ha... The funny part is that they don't know why their Internet no longer works
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Cell phone addiction is a real problem these days. I'm scared driving that somebody around me is going to cause a horrible accident. I'm glad they are passing laws, but that may not be enough. People just cant help themselves from looking at their phones, even if its the latest news or whatever.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Cell phone addiction is a real problem these days. I'm scared driving that somebody around me is going to cause a horrible accident. I'm glad they are passing laws, but that may not be enough. People just cant help themselves from looking at their phones, even if its the latest news or whatever.
    Me too, Curt. Here in Canada, distracted driving has surpassed drunk driving in terms of carnage on our roads.