Thread: Its got VTEC Bro

Its got VTEC Bro

A little tale of my new winter/salt season ride, and dumb luck...

My previous winter car was a 4 door, and with me getting old(er), fatter, slower, and just sick of wrestling my corpse and wheelchair into a 4 door...time for a more functional ride. 4 doors was just too much of a PITA last winter. So what 2 door vehicle would be interesting? FWD is good in snow I hear also...why not get a Honda Accord? Quite the jump up in class going to this thing from the previous selection. Here's some pics of the new car taken when photo-shooting the old one for a Craigslist ad:

Old vs. New:

My first Japanese car...278hp V6 VTEC power bro! Gonna get Type R, TRD, and Nismo stickers on it for +50hp soon!

Now after making this extraordinarily foolish choice for a 'beater', and thinking how my winter vehicle usually spends the summer abandoned in front of the house, under a tree seemingly very popular with the birds...who enjoy a steady diet of Ex-Lax the neighbors put in their bird feeders...I kind of had my doubts of continuing this tradition.

Trouble is, while my garage is technically a 3 car garage...that was back in the days of the Ford Model T. And the garage door is a 2 car version...the additional door is permanently closed. Add a wheelchair to the mix and functionally the garage is a one car garage. You can park 2 cars in there, but wheelchair access throws a wrench in the works again making only one car readily accessible. Juggling cars around sucks.

But as dumb luck would have it, the shortness of the Honda, combined with styling features of the corners of the car being lopped off...opened new-found possibilities of parking 2 cars in there, and actually being able to access both of them without it becoming a headache:

Scrounging up some extra wood to extend my 'ramp' to the side garage door fixed the ramp layout...and ta-da, I now have a functioning 2 car wheelchair accessible garage! I'm real happy that I can easily get at both cars, the doors on both are able to fully open, and plenty of wheelchair room. So happy in fact I had to post this story, lol. Actually being able to use both cars whenever is so much better than one jammed behind the other in the garage, or having to battle getting into a car parked on the street in front of the house, adjacent to a crooked parkway lawn, with a protruding curb, and just generally something you don't want to do at all.

See...sometimes being a total idiot when car shopping pays off! lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    A little tale of my new winter/salt season ride, and dumb luck...

My previous winter car was a 4 door, and with me getting old(er), fatter, slower, and just sick of wrestling my corpse and wheelchair into a 4 door...time for a more functional ride. 4 doors was just too much of a PITA last winter. So what 2 door vehicle would be interesting? FWD is good in snow I hear also...why not get a Honda Accord? Quite the jump up in class going to this thing from the previous selection. Here's some pics of the new car taken when photo-shooting the old one for a Craigslist ad:

Old vs. New:

My first Japanese car...278hp V6 VTEC power bro! Gonna get Type R, TRD, and Nismo stickers on it for +50hp soon!

Now after making this extraordinarily foolish choice for a 'beater', and thinking how my winter vehicle usually spends the summer abandoned in front of the house, under a tree seemingly very popular with the birds...who enjoy a steady diet of Ex-Lax the neighbors put in their bird feeders...I kind of had my doubts of continuing this tradition.

Trouble is, while my garage is technically a 3 car garage...that was back in the days of the Ford Model T. And the garage door is a 2 car version...the additional door is permanently closed. Add a wheelchair to the mix and functionally the garage is a one car garage. You can park 2 cars in there, but wheelchair access throws a wrench in the works again making only one car readily accessible. Juggling cars around sucks.

But as dumb luck would have it, the shortness of the Honda, combined with styling features of the corners of the car being lopped off...opened new-found possibilities of parking 2 cars in there, and actually being able to access both of them without it becoming a headache:

Scrounging up some extra wood to extend my 'ramp' to the side garage door fixed the ramp layout...and ta-da, I now have a functioning 2 car wheelchair accessible garage! I'm real happy that I can easily get at both cars, the doors on both are able to fully open, and plenty of wheelchair room. So happy in fact I had to post this story, lol. Actually being able to use both cars whenever is so much better than one jammed behind the other in the garage, or having to battle getting into a car parked on the street in front of the house, adjacent to a crooked parkway lawn, with a protruding curb, and just generally something you don't want to do at all.

See...sometimes being a total idiot when car shopping pays off! lol

You’ll have to do donuts in reverse now?

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    You?ll have to do donuts in reverse now?
    Parking brake is on the console with this one...all sorts of fun to be done with that . What I really need to do though is figure out mounting the Opticom out of the Crown Vic into this thing. On the Challenger it was easy enough to carve one up and have the emitter go through the fake highbeams (like how the Hellcat air intake goes through them). This thing is, well, tiny. And I don't think the full unit from the CV will fit behind the grille from what I was looking at so far. Red lights suck! (IR band-pass filters keep that invisible, lol)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Parking brake is on the console with this one...all sorts of fun to be done with that . What I really need to do though is figure out mounting the Opticom out of the Crown Vic into this thing. On the Challenger it was easy enough to carve one up and have the emitter go through the fake highbeams (like how the Hellcat air intake goes through them). This thing is, well, tiny. And I don't think the full unit from the CV will fit behind the grille from what I was looking at so far. Red lights suck! (IR band-pass filters keep that invisible, lol)
    Where can I get one of those? A salesman retired and left me with his company SHO Taurus. People either get out of your way because they think you’re a Cop, or they slow down and stay in your way because they think you’re a Cop. All green lights would be a blessing!

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    Where can I get one of those? A salesman retired and left me with his company SHO Taurus. People either get out of your way because they think you?re a Cop, or they slow down and stay in your way because they think you?re a Cop. All green lights would be a blessing!
    Ebay. I got 2 3m/GTT 9592 emitters over the years. They are used with Whelen Edge strobe lightbars. One is carved up so the strobe/reflector part fits behind the headlight assembly of the Challenger with the electronics in a separate waterproof bag elsewhere under the hood. On the other one, I got some sheet ABS plastic to cover the sides normally residing in the lightbar and made it a self-contained unit. Cheapest solution, one I paid 85, the other was 125 IIRC.

Also, since this is a white strobe, and generally cops will think you are the biggest dick running around tripping traffic lights...you need to make it invisible. There is plastic sheet IR bandpass filter material. It works, but as paranoid as I am, I consider it a daytime-only thing using this. With enough interest, someone could see the strobe. What you need to get is some military-grade IR filter material, also found on Ebay at times. I used Peakbeam/Maxabeam IR filters, they are made of glass, and totally erase any visible light transmission. Even at night, nobody will see it. You do have to cut them down to size to fit the Opticom emitter you are using of course.

And finally, keep an eye out for traffic cameras and such when adjusting traffic signals to your liking. Some CCD and CMOS camera sensors will convert IR light into something visible and recordable. If the gubment gets interested in why lights are mysteriously changing and really studies what they might have on file...they might notice something like this:

I just realized...I work downtown, I park in a parking garage, and drive a Honda Accord. I'm one of THEM! The inner delinquent in me wails in disappointment...where did I go wrong? lol
    Attached Images Attached Images