Thread: Permobil after-market backrests

Permobil after-market backrests

I?ve debated on going through the hassle of having an after-market backrest installed on my Permobil F3, which I know will require the mounting hardware in order to do so. I just don?t feel like I?m getting enough lateral support with the standard cushion with the lateral supports. The biggest concern I have though in doing so is losing seat depth. I?m 6?4?, and probably 6? of that is legs, so I can?t afford to lose much, if any, seat depth. For those with after-market backs, how much more lateral support do the mid-depth cushions have compared to the standard backrest? I?m concerned the deep back might be too deep, but not sure. Also, I do not like anything interfering/hitting my shoulders.

I got an F3 with an Invacare deep matrix elite. The lateral supports with conventional Permobil back are not very good in my opinion. The deep matrix elite as nice wraparound curved lateral supports that hug your lower torso, combined with a narrow upper section which clears your scapular area for shoulder freedom. I am quite happy with it.

I don't know what level of injury you are, but the deep model will offer the greatest degree of lateral support. I am a quadriplegic and I am glad I got the deep and not the regular model.

I also looked at the J back, but that will require choosing carefully, as there are several options for depth, as well as where you want the lateral support to be, higher rather than lower.

Finally, hopefully your DME rep will be cooperative with getting you a demo model with the aftermarket backs you choose. Some of them can be quite pissy in going through the process to get a demo with the aftermarket back you want. I want to try the Jay and they did not have the proper configuration that I wanted and I could tell getting the other configuration was not being well received. It's not easy for them to get demos for aftermarket options, especially when the aftermarket options offer several configurations. To swap out each configuration is time-consuming and often requires an additional clinic visit.

So if you are interested in the Invacare matrix elite and you need lateral support I would go for the deep model to try. Your comment about seat depth is important as these aftermarket backs do consume seat depth and must be accounted for when you purchase a new chair. if putting it on an existing chair you may have some wiggle room and the seat pan may be adjustable as well to accommodate the next depth setting. The seat pans I believe can accommodate a small range of options, say 20 to 22 inches.

I think I am an inch short on my chair and as a result, have a little too much unsupported thigh in my chair. The rep needed to add an additional 2 inches to the anatomical depth needed.

Feel free to message me and I could send you pictures of my back on the chair.

I got the Roho Agility Mid Contour Backrest. I'am 6' 3" tall. c6/7 complete. I have an m300 Permobil.

I tried the Deep Contour and the Mid Contour and of course since I went with the Mid Contour, liked it much better than the Deep Contour. The Mid Contour does not interfere with my shoulder range and mobility.

Added bonus is that it is a Roho product (Roho very short cells run down the back at mid-line) and compatible with Permobil by adding their back bracket to accommodate the backrest.

The Roho back can be used with the regular Permobil hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    The Roho back can be used with the regular Permobil hardware?
    There is a bracket (Agility Direct Mount Hardware) that adapts the Permobil backrest hardware to the Roho Agility back system. https://permobilus.com/product/roho-...ount-hardware/

"The AGILITY Direct Mount Hardware attaches to ROHO AGILITY Back Systems. Currently, the AGILITY Direct Mount Hardware is compatible to Permobil power wheelchairs that have third-generation Corpus seating and the weight limit doesn’t exceed 300 lbs.

This simple design is easy to install and there is a minimum loss of seat depth (~1/2″)
    AGILITY Direct Mount Hardware is supported by our new, five-year limited warranty.

The AGILITY Direct Mount Hardware consists of 1 center bracket for all back sizes and 7 different wing brackets for different shell widths."

Is that new? I was always under the impression that a special mounting system was needed for after-market backs, but it appears that with the Roho Agility back, just the special bracket is needed. That definitely seems like a simpler changeover process!

Is that new? I was always under the impression that a special mounting system was needed for after-market backs, but it appears that with the Roho Agility back, just the special bracket is needed. That definitely seems like a simpler changeover process!
    I got it with my Permobil m300 at the end of December 2016.

When you say the deep interfered with your shoulder range and mobility, can you please explain. I am a C4/5 'complete', so don't have much movement, but what I do have helps in being able to operate my joystick. My standard back does not interfere at all.

When you say the deep interfered with your shoulder range and mobility, can you please explain. I am a C4/5 'complete', so don't have much movement, but what I do have helps in being able to operate my joystick. My standard back does not interfere at all.
    I do quite a bit of reach back (retrieve my chest strap), reaching over (getting files out of drawers, books off shelves) and the Deep Contour inhibited those activities. The Deep Contour made me feel encapsulated. The Minimum Contour didn't give me enough lateral support. As Goldilocks would say, the Mid Contour was just right.

Here is more that I wrote about the Agility Backrest Systems:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ility+backrest

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I've been using the Roho mid contour back for about 14 months. I'm C6/7 complete. 6'3" tall and thin. For my needs it is probably the best back I've every had.

I have the 16 inch wide and 20 inches tall (tallest one available) back configuration. I would say it gives me moderate lateral support. The deep contour (Max) was too deep for me. The lateral supports were in my way when I did arm exercises and transfers. The Roho flotation cushioning down the middle of the back can be inflated or deflated to help support and protect the spine. I'm pretty thin and other backs were just too hard and after a day in the chair, I would have red spots on the skin running down the spine.

If you live in or near a fairly large city, a durable medical equipment supplier should be able to contact the Permobil/Roho rep for the region or area and get a couple demo backs delivered for you to try. The rep in northern California was able to do this for me through my supplier.

There is direct mount available for the Ride Custom backrest, too, so very little depth is lost.