Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery cost and replacement with NuMotion

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    Like posted, I ain't bright.
    Original DME we got last covered equipment from sold to national company and tried them but gave up on them.
    But around here it's still old way of if DME don't sell you equipment they won't touch it under Medicare, most times not even out-of-pocket parts.
    Last batteries we got was bought through SpinLife shipped to our home and neighbor came over on off day to install.
    My wife's daily chair finally making to much of mess leaking and both of us didn't want hunt for new DME so we bought a used one off OfferUp. Changed out cushion and back with old chair and been doing OK, so far.(knock wood)
    "Good Luck" with figuring out your DME.
    Mike message me I can help...battery replacement doesn't have anything to do with warranty work.

You just have to have a specific chair registered with Medicare as your main driver.

Then you have the DME replace them and they bill medicare and they you get your bill for $60+

Your not charged extra for install cost that is part of the $328 cost Medicare covers.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Mike message me I can help...battery replacement doesn't have anything to do with warranty work.

You just have to have a specific chair registered with Medicare as your main driver.

Then you have the DME replace them and they bill medicare and they you get your bill for $60+

Your not charged extra for install cost that is part of the $328 cost Medicare covers.
    Before we bought batteries out-of-pocket on Medicare covered chairs I called 2 DMEs that are in our rural community. First question after ask about battery replacement was if the chairs were bought through them. They said they only serviced what they sold to contact original DME.
    Ask about new chairs but neither dealt with complex rehab chairs. Said they only sold basic powerchairs and scooters. Think they said basic powerchairs were Group 2.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Hoping somebody might now the answer...

CMS/Medicare approves $328 for 2 batteries for power chair replacement, customer pays 20% of roughly $65.

Wondering if anyone know what DME like NuMotion still bills know the max they will get is $328 why they bill at MSRP of $900 plus?

• Medicare wants to feel like they've "got a deal" (for the taxpayers)
    • Chair buyer wants to feel like he got a deal ("$900 worth of batteries for JUST $65!")
    • Bean counter writes off the "loss" against profits
    • The "impression" that this is not a casual purchase that you might want to make at your local "Radio Shack"
    • Further reinforces the impression of the chair's (original) "value" (price)
    • Non-medicare purchases now can get dinged $900 (or, cut the guy a "special deal" and only charge him $800!)
    • The DME's set the standard for "usual and customary" -- not the customer!

Powerchair batteries tend to also have labor costs factored in. It's not like buying batteries for your flashlight at any of dozens of outlets around town (that don't have to make available "installers" to replace them for you). And, the labor can vary significantly between chairs.

Go to lab for bloodwork. Lab bills your insurance $700. Yet, is willing to settle for $15 (and, in fact, made money at that!)