Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: What does everyone carry daily?

  1. #11
    Okay, this is going to be way too intense, brace yourselves. I got super excited when I saw this thread because I've been working on exactly what to carry:


    Above is my steed, a TiLite ZR. The center of gravity is too far to the rear for my liking so I try to carry everything as forward as possible.

    1. Key-Bak - First and most obvious in this photo my keys (home, mailbox and work) are attached to a Key-Back retractable keyring which has a retractable cord (I think it's 4-5 feet in length), so I call grab the keys, unlock the door, let the keys go and they retract back into position on their own. I've had this about two years now and it's worked out great, the keyring is tied directly to the frame with a piece of paracord, so as long as I have my chair with me, I have my keys.
    2. Man Purse - The main black bag there is a Manhattan Portage small DJ bag, I searched for hours and hours until I found what I figured were the best dimensions top mount on the chair right behind my knees, and I think I got it spot on. This essentially functions as my purse with most of my belongings in it.
    3. Fanny Pack - I tore the label off years ago, but I think it was Eagle Creek or something like that, anyway it was from REI, this is my first and only "piss bag" and has all the essentials for relieving yourself while on the road. When full it holds:
    -15 Catheters
    -15 Individual lubricant packets
    -3 or 4 condom catheters
    -Spare leg bag and tube
    4. Paracord - less obvious in the above photo I have a homemade frame protector (currently only on the right side and not the left, because I need to rewrap the left) made of about 120 feet of paracord. It can be removed relatively easily in case I need 120 feet or so of rope for any reason, but the main purpose is to give me more grip on transfers (I grab the upper frame there) and to protect the paint job (in theory, this chair rode for years without any protection, this is more of a trial run so I know how it will work on my next chair).


    The crevice formed by the excess material of my slingback where it hangs down slightly to cover my plumber's crack makes a convenient little pocket I take advantage of to store a couple things:



    5. Midori Traveler's Notebook - it's basically a piece of leather with a couple elasticized bands on it to hold notebooks, but I really like the system. I have three custom notebooks made to order with Tomoe River paper (which is friggin amazing paper).
    6. Pelikan M215 fountain pen - a bit of a pretentious splurge, but I've had this fountain pen for like 7 years now and it's probably written thousands of pages. Currently filled with Baystate Blue ink from Noodlers
    7. Kindle Paperwhite - in the background you can see my Kindle with a very beatup case. That's because the kindle goes everywhere I do, tucked right behind my ass. It's an amazing little device and I find it quite useful. Well worth the $5 I spent on it when my buddy got the hookup from his friend who works at the pawn shop. If I ever lose it or break it I'll probably pay full price to buy another.

    On to the contents of the man purse.

    First and most frequently used is the above Maxpedition micro pouch. Quite convenient for organizing small stuff. You can see the two bucks or so in quarters in the outside pocket.


    Inside the Maxpedition pouch you can see a variety of useful everyday stuff
    8. Mini Bic Lighter - in tarheel blue
    9. Leatherman squirt - useful multitool with pliers. Comes in handy on a regular basis
    10. Victorinox nail clippers - I thought I was wasting money on these, but they are so small and compact and now they are always with me... I haven't used another set of nail clippers in like a year. I plan to get rid of all my other nail clippers.
    11. Eyedrops - a recent addition after I started struggling with my contacts recently.
    12. Toothpaste - the white cap peeking up above the lighter is a small tube I filled with Eco-dent toothpaste, which is a powder, so you don't have to worry about spilling it. Great for refreshing your breath after 15 hours or so at work.
    13. Compact travel toothbrush - some cheap thing I picked up from Target
    14. Carmex lip balm
    15. The converter thingy so my stupid work iphone can use "regular" headphones... I hate that this is a thing that has to exist in this universe.
    16. Alcohol wipes - they're tucked out of site as are..
    17. A few spare stamps... who uses stamps any more?

    Moving on to the right side
    18. Iphone headphones with the ridiculous lightning plug... smh.
    19. An external battery with iphone cable and mini usb cable
    20. A little tub from REI filled with pills - I keep a couple days worth of daily my prescriptions, plus ibuprofen, caffeine pills, aspirin, benadryl.
    21. A couple bucks in cash - tucked in the pocket behind everything
    22. A flat folding phone stand - almost never use this, I should probably take it out
    23. Two spare checks - again... who uses checks. What horrible evil force exists in this world that necessitates me carrying around checks and stamps like it's the friggin 1800s?!?!?!?!


    These items are carried loose in the front pocket of my man purse (well the light is clipped to something, but you know what I'm saying).

    24. Franklin Batting Gloves - still my favorite for pushing... they just suck to get wet.
    25. Olight S1R rechargeable flashlight - a tiny little flashlight that does 0.5 lumens (which is useful for me at work on a regular basis) up to 900 lumens for a short period of time. Really incredible little flashlight (and the price reflects it's incredibleness). Super cool charging system.
    26. Wallet - minimalish wallet with a couple credit cards, some cash (no rant here I like cash, just not checks and stamps), ID, etc... not very bloated at all.


    Also in the underseat bag I have...
    27. Some delicious chocolate covered almonds I forgot I bought yesterday
    28. Sea to Summit Ultra-sil Day Pack - you all need to go buy one of these RIGHT NOW! Seriously, do you see how small this is? It's the blue thing in the middle that's half the size of my fist when it's stowed as it is now, but expands to a reasonable (smallish) sized backpack that can hold a good 18 beers or so (believe me I've done this on a regular basis). Excellent construction and makes it easy to pop to the grocery store and buy dinner and not worry about carrying everything home on your lap. Awesome, awesome product. The straps are necessarily flat so when you hand it over the back of your seat and lean back on the straps you can't even tell they're there.
    29. Emergency Bag - this little bag is for when disaster strikes. It's got a couple extra catheters, an extra legbag, a couple extra condom catheters, a few individually wrapped wipes, gloves, a magic bullet just for good measure and a thin plastic bag for bagging up any disgustingness that might happen while out and about.


    This is the newest addition, another Maxpedition pouch, the mini instead of the micro this time. I'm still not sure about this one, just tried to organize a couple of loose odds and ends that didn't fit elsewhere nicely


    30. Spare rechargable battery for the Olight.
    31. Spare AAA battery - goes with the backup flashlight on the right.
    32. Tire repair kit - this is your standard $2 bicycle tube repair kit from the bike shop, but I added some superglue, a $20 bill, and a P-38 can opener because... why not?
    33. Wet wipes - a couple individually wrapped in the back pocket
    34. Spare work key
    35. A few two dollar bills
    36. Fisher Space pen - I actually really detest how it writes, and shouldn't have bought it in black because if you put it down you might never find it again, but it is small and compact and can supposedly write upside down and underwater and in space and immersed in lava (well maybe not that last one).
    37. Ear plugs - they're in that clear tube with the white top. Handy for sleeping on the road, and I like to have some in the ear hearing protection underneath my ear cans when I go to the range.
    38. Hex keys - it's a little hard to see in the picture, but I have some bailing wire holding together three hex keys that fit the little bolts that are always coming loose on my chair.
    39. My stupid work iphone (not pictured).
    40. Car key - this is tucked in the bottom of the man purse bag as well, it works on proximity and I can open the door and start the car if the key is within 3 feet of the car, so I never have to get the key out. Pretty convenient.

    This seems like enough and too much at the same time to me, but it works pretty well. As long as I have enough catheters packed (15 will usually get me through most of a work week), all I have to do is grab my phone off the charger and I'm good to go, with enough odds and ends to handle most of life's little obstacles. It all weighs the front end of the chair down a fair bit, but that's not exactly a bad thing in my opinion.

  2. #12
    Also to the people who are carring CO2 cannisters, if you have decent upper arm function, consider this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Lezyne makes hand operated ultracompact bicycle tire pumps that aren't much larger than a CO2 charger and never run out (unless you get too tired and can't find an assitant), and probably weigh less (the one in the link above is 96 grams). For years I kept one attached to my chair, but took it off because I haven't had a flat in a really long time and wasn't willing to carry a tube repair kit when I know damn well even the bike shop ends up breaking tire levers on these Schwalbe marathons while they're working under near ideal conditions.

  3. #13
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,726
    homemade bag off the back of the chair.
    10 IC's, 10 lubes, 10 gloves, one pee bottle.

    I used to carry a spare inner-tube and tire levers, but hate to admit it's been a while.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,429
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ok, this is going to give me a run for my money. Imma pouch dump and see what shakes out. Not very surprising, we carry a lot of the same things! (Including a fountain pen loaded with Noodler's ink. That one surprised me. I LOVE Baystate Blue! Nothing else like it. It reacted poorly in a cheap celluloid pen and clotted up the whole thing, but in a decent pen it's wonderful. I'm running Noodler's Antietam "blood" ink in a Lamy All-Star in my EDC right now.)


    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Okay, this is going to be way too intense, brace yourselves. I got super excited when I saw this thread because I've been working on exactly what to carry:


    Above is my steed, a TiLite ZR. The center of gravity is too far to the rear for my liking so I try to carry everything as forward as possible.

    1. Key-Bak - First and most obvious in this photo my keys (home, mailbox and work) are attached to a Key-Back retractable keyring which has a retractable cord (I think it's 4-5 feet in length), so I call grab the keys, unlock the door, let the keys go and they retract back into position on their own. I've had this about two years now and it's worked out great, the keyring is tied directly to the frame with a piece of paracord, so as long as I have my chair with me, I have my keys.
    2. Man Purse - The main black bag there is a Manhattan Portage small DJ bag, I searched for hours and hours until I found what I figured were the best dimensions top mount on the chair right behind my knees, and I think I got it spot on. This essentially functions as my purse with most of my belongings in it.
    3. Fanny Pack - I tore the label off years ago, but I think it was Eagle Creek or something like that, anyway it was from REI, this is my first and only "piss bag" and has all the essentials for relieving yourself while on the road. When full it holds:
    -15 Catheters
    -15 Individual lubricant packets
    -3 or 4 condom catheters
    -Spare leg bag and tube
    4. Paracord - less obvious in the above photo I have a homemade frame protector (currently only on the right side and not the left, because I need to rewrap the left) made of about 120 feet of paracord. It can be removed relatively easily in case I need 120 feet or so of rope for any reason, but the main purpose is to give me more grip on transfers (I grab the upper frame there) and to protect the paint job (in theory, this chair rode for years without any protection, this is more of a trial run so I know how it will work on my next chair).


    The crevice formed by the excess material of my slingback where it hangs down slightly to cover my plumber's crack makes a convenient little pocket I take advantage of to store a couple things:



    5. Midori Traveler's Notebook - it's basically a piece of leather with a couple elasticized bands on it to hold notebooks, but I really like the system. I have three custom notebooks made to order with Tomoe River paper (which is friggin amazing paper).
    6. Pelikan M215 fountain pen - a bit of a pretentious splurge, but I've had this fountain pen for like 7 years now and it's probably written thousands of pages. Currently filled with Baystate Blue ink from Noodlers
    7. Kindle Paperwhite - in the background you can see my Kindle with a very beatup case. That's because the kindle goes everywhere I do, tucked right behind my ass. It's an amazing little device and I find it quite useful. Well worth the $5 I spent on it when my buddy got the hookup from his friend who works at the pawn shop. If I ever lose it or break it I'll probably pay full price to buy another.

    On to the contents of the man purse.

    First and most frequently used is the above Maxpedition micro pouch. Quite convenient for organizing small stuff. You can see the two bucks or so in quarters in the outside pocket.


    Inside the Maxpedition pouch you can see a variety of useful everyday stuff
    8. Mini Bic Lighter - in tarheel blue
    9. Leatherman squirt - useful multitool with pliers. Comes in handy on a regular basis
    10. Victorinox nail clippers - I thought I was wasting money on these, but they are so small and compact and now they are always with me... I haven't used another set of nail clippers in like a year. I plan to get rid of all my other nail clippers.
    11. Eyedrops - a recent addition after I started struggling with my contacts recently.
    12. Toothpaste - the white cap peeking up above the lighter is a small tube I filled with Eco-dent toothpaste, which is a powder, so you don't have to worry about spilling it. Great for refreshing your breath after 15 hours or so at work.
    13. Compact travel toothbrush - some cheap thing I picked up from Target
    14. Carmex lip balm
    15. The converter thingy so my stupid work iphone can use "regular" headphones... I hate that this is a thing that has to exist in this universe.
    16. Alcohol wipes - they're tucked out of site as are..
    17. A few spare stamps... who uses stamps any more?

    Moving on to the right side
    18. Iphone headphones with the ridiculous lightning plug... smh.
    19. An external battery with iphone cable and mini usb cable
    20. A little tub from REI filled with pills - I keep a couple days worth of daily my prescriptions, plus ibuprofen, caffeine pills, aspirin, benadryl.
    21. A couple bucks in cash - tucked in the pocket behind everything
    22. A flat folding phone stand - almost never use this, I should probably take it out
    23. Two spare checks - again... who uses checks. What horrible evil force exists in this world that necessitates me carrying around checks and stamps like it's the friggin 1800s?!?!?!?!


    These items are carried loose in the front pocket of my man purse (well the light is clipped to something, but you know what I'm saying).

    24. Franklin Batting Gloves - still my favorite for pushing... they just suck to get wet.
    25. Olight S1R rechargeable flashlight - a tiny little flashlight that does 0.5 lumens (which is useful for me at work on a regular basis) up to 900 lumens for a short period of time. Really incredible little flashlight (and the price reflects it's incredibleness). Super cool charging system.
    26. Wallet - minimalish wallet with a couple credit cards, some cash (no rant here I like cash, just not checks and stamps), ID, etc... not very bloated at all.


    Also in the underseat bag I have...
    27. Some delicious chocolate covered almonds I forgot I bought yesterday
    28. Sea to Summit Ultra-sil Day Pack - you all need to go buy one of these RIGHT NOW! Seriously, do you see how small this is? It's the blue thing in the middle that's half the size of my fist when it's stowed as it is now, but expands to a reasonable (smallish) sized backpack that can hold a good 18 beers or so (believe me I've done this on a regular basis). Excellent construction and makes it easy to pop to the grocery store and buy dinner and not worry about carrying everything home on your lap. Awesome, awesome product. The straps are necessarily flat so when you hand it over the back of your seat and lean back on the straps you can't even tell they're there.
    29. Emergency Bag - this little bag is for when disaster strikes. It's got a couple extra catheters, an extra legbag, a couple extra condom catheters, a few individually wrapped wipes, gloves, a magic bullet just for good measure and a thin plastic bag for bagging up any disgustingness that might happen while out and about.


    This is the newest addition, another Maxpedition pouch, the mini instead of the micro this time. I'm still not sure about this one, just tried to organize a couple of loose odds and ends that didn't fit elsewhere nicely


    30. Spare rechargable battery for the Olight.
    31. Spare AAA battery - goes with the backup flashlight on the right.
    32. Tire repair kit - this is your standard $2 bicycle tube repair kit from the bike shop, but I added some superglue, a $20 bill, and a P-38 can opener because... why not?
    33. Wet wipes - a couple individually wrapped in the back pocket
    34. Spare work key
    35. A few two dollar bills
    36. Fisher Space pen - I actually really detest how it writes, and shouldn't have bought it in black because if you put it down you might never find it again, but it is small and compact and can supposedly write upside down and underwater and in space and immersed in lava (well maybe not that last one).
    37. Ear plugs - they're in that clear tube with the white top. Handy for sleeping on the road, and I like to have some in the ear hearing protection underneath my ear cans when I go to the range.
    38. Hex keys - it's a little hard to see in the picture, but I have some bailing wire holding together three hex keys that fit the little bolts that are always coming loose on my chair.
    39. My stupid work iphone (not pictured).
    40. Car key - this is tucked in the bottom of the man purse bag as well, it works on proximity and I can open the door and start the car if the key is within 3 feet of the car, so I never have to get the key out. Pretty convenient.

    This seems like enough and too much at the same time to me, but it works pretty well. As long as I have enough catheters packed (15 will usually get me through most of a work week), all I have to do is grab my phone off the charger and I'm good to go, with enough odds and ends to handle most of life's little obstacles. It all weighs the front end of the chair down a fair bit, but that's not exactly a bad thing in my opinion.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You can get special cases for holding your insulin pens or vials that include a blue ice pack to keep them cool. Here are some examples:

    https://www.totaldiabetessupply.com/...nsulin-coolers

    (KLD)
    "Thank you!" Still have go city for a couple doctor and those will come in handy.

  6. #16
    I like the ones with the two zippered pouches. Invacare and Tilite both have them. I have my phone, wallet and pens etc. in the front. IC and colost. supplies in the rear. No searching around if in a hurry.

  7. #17
    Funklab, it seems as though we are on the same page....I have been trying to put together an everyday carry bag for my wheelchair and decided to post this tread in order to get some ideas. I also carry a travelers notebook and fountain pen i love both and use them all of the time. I have a foldable small backpack that I can add to my under chair bag in case I am out shopping. Thanks for that idea. I carry a leatherman tool that not only has a knife but also screwdriver and hex keys. Of course i must have my iphone and airpods at all times. Do you carry anything in the event you drop something? Like a telstik or something?

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Binkylucy4 View Post
    Funklab, it seems as though we are on the same page....I have been trying to put together an everyday carry bag for my wheelchair and decided to post this tread in order to get some ideas. I also carry a travelers notebook and fountain pen i love both and use them all of the time. I have a foldable small backpack that I can add to my under chair bag in case I am out shopping. Thanks for that idea. I carry a leatherman tool that not only has a knife but also screwdriver and hex keys. Of course i must have my iphone and airpods at all times. Do you carry anything in the event you drop something? Like a telstik or something?
    "Sorry" thought throw my 2 cents...
    I use to keep a folding reacher attached in reach with velcro. Since then my wife and I hardly ever out separately so we keep a folding reacher in her backpack so I just retrieve it when we need to use it. Especially comes in handy in getting things off shelves at stores, too.
    Looks kinda like this one:
    https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...EaAsQ1EALw_wcB

    Walmart online have them I thing a bit cheaper, could not get that link posted.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Ok, this is going to give me a run for my money. Imma pouch dump and see what shakes out. Not very surprising, we carry a lot of the same things! (Including a fountain pen loaded with Noodler's ink. That one surprised me. I LOVE Baystate Blue! Nothing else like it. It reacted poorly in a cheap celluloid pen and clotted up the whole thing, but in a decent pen it's wonderful. I'm running Noodler's Antietam "blood" ink in a Lamy All-Star in my EDC right now.)
    Nice. I love Baystate Blue, it's such a vibrant color, doesn't like cheap paper much, but that's okay, and I love how permanent it is. I like the color of Noodler's Cactus Fruit (a purplish pink) better than BB, but with my notebook being kept where it is, sometimes it gets a couple drops of rain on it while transferring in or out of the car. The Cactus Fruit ink runs like crazy and will just wash off of the page, but Baystate Blue stays put like a champ, which is why I keep coming back to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Binkylucy4 View Post
    Funklab, it seems as though we are on the same page....I have been trying to put together an everyday carry bag for my wheelchair and decided to post this tread in order to get some ideas. I also carry a travelers notebook and fountain pen i love both and use them all of the time. I have a foldable small backpack that I can add to my under chair bag in case I am out shopping. Thanks for that idea. I carry a leatherman tool that not only has a knife but also screwdriver and hex keys. Of course i must have my iphone and airpods at all times. Do you carry anything in the event you drop something? Like a telstik or something?
    I don't carry anything to reach stuff, but I'm pretty long limbed and I can pick stuff up off the ground without getting out of my wheelchair without much problem.

  10. #20
    I'm a minimalist. I carry my wallet, phone, keys and hydrophilic catheters (1-4 depending on the time I am out) down my boot and up my pant sleeve.

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody Carry a Gun?
    By RSieck in forum Equipment
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
  2. The bag I carry ...
    By Raven in forum Life
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 08:22 AM
  3. Bag to Carry
    By Camille in forum Life
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 12:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •