Thread: Carpeting and Padding

Carpeting and Padding

I recently moved into a new home. After only about 10 months, the carpeting is showing a lot of wear. And you can also see indentations/depth from my power wheelchair. We are getting new carpeting and I was looking for feedback on this type of padding t use or to not use it at all. I'm approximately 5 with 3 inches weighting 95 pounds and use a power wheelchair.

For you, consider very low-pile commercial carpet with minimal very firm padding. ABs in the house might consider that a bit hard, but that's what I used for decades as an AB. It wears better and doesn't tend to track as badly as higher piles, looking better between vacuuming.

Have you considered just going with a hard surface floor instead? Laminated flooring, tile, etc. are much more wheelchair (and shower/commode or mechanical lift) friendly than carpet.

Otherwise, I agree with the industrial type carpet, but even that will wear and probably need replacement in 8-10 years.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Had the same issue with my carpeting. The constant turning with my manual wheelchair on the carpeting caused wrinkles/higher piles and needed to get it re-stretched. When I replaced the carpeting in the bedroom I went with a Berber carpet without the pad. This works much better but is not as soft without the pad. Seems to wear much better not having any issues after 8 years with it getting loose.

What SCI nurse said. After replacing carpet 3 times, we went with tile floors, and wood laminate in bedroom. They have lasted 30 years now.
    But, we do have berber in one small room. Over time, stains happen. Not like the hard surface where you can quickly wipe up.