Thread: My UTI protocol for intermittent catheterization, update

My UTI protocol for intermittent catheterization, update

About four years ago I posted a description of my UTI avoidance protocol, http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1740498 . This protocol is based primarily on insights of a former member, Bob Clark, as well as certain other suggestions by members on this forum. People might want to look at it.

Since then, I have not had any UTIs (at least, any requiring antibiotics) in about four years.

The only significant change to the protocol I outlined above is that I purchased a Welch-Allyn thermometer a few years back because it was the kind my doctor used, and I was getting different readings between my home thermometer and the doctor's readings.

Bob Clark's critical insight is deceptively simple: it's just as important to prevent bacteria entering the urethra between catheterizations as it is to do so during catheterization. When I was trained in rehab, I was given a lot of instruction on hygiene during catheterization but none on hygiene between catheterizations. That hygiene program has several parts:

1. rely on physical barriers, like gloves, rather than washing
    2. use these barriers for anything remotely associated with the bowel program
    3. use clean clothes and stay clean generally; wash thoroughly
    4. during catheterization, make sure to get as much antibacterial fluid (say from a swab) as possible into the urethra as possible, to try and kill anything that eluded 1-3 above.

The other part of my post outlined certain suggestions for making sure you don't take too much or too little antibiotics. Most of these are standard here. Especially if you have a cold and a slight fever, it can be tough to tell the difference between an upper respiratory infection and a UTI. I use a protocol with my urologist that was suggested I think by gjnl, where the urologist gives me a bunch of blank culture forms and I take these to the lab as needed if I'm not feeling well. Then if the mild fever doesn't abate on its own, I'm ready immediately with the right antibiotic. But I haven't even had to use this for a while.

There are many other good tips on the forums, like keeping hydrated and increasing water intake a lot when you have signs of infection. Also of course, first getting rid of any existing infection.

The downside of this protocol is that it's time consuming and expensive. I spend a lot on gloves and also chucks, to make sure my sheets and wheelchair cushions are always clean.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 07-05-2018 at 10:37 AM.

I too, have always maintained that being clean, using clean methods of cathing, and just overall cleanliness in general, will minimize urinary tract infections. I have also been man-scaping the pubic hair on myself recently in the hope of keeping even cleaner. Daily pericare has always been a part of my morning routine as well. You can never be too clean. Thanks for the tips and, advice.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.