Thread: small syrinx/cyst at c4 and c5 level

small syrinx/cyst at c4 and c5 level

In November 2011 , I had reeling sensation when I got up from the bed in the early morning. I have cervical spondilosys since 2000 year. Also I have Tinnitus since 2009. I have middle ear problem also. So I approached my Ortho and he has taken xray of the cervical spine and told me that some of the discs are degenerated/fused. It is BPPV .Refered me to a ENT. He has prescribed Stugeron and Vertin. Then after 4 days it was subsided. Later the Ortho suggested MRI of the cervical spine to see the present status of the discs. Accordingly I have undergone the MRI. The Radialogist giving his detailed report, mentioned that there is a small syrinx in the size of a small rice grain.

1. my Ortho refered me to a neurologist. Regarding syrinx, the Neuro said that this may be a cyst since tumor in that region at this age of 70 is very rare. Even if it is cyst, it will grow over a period of time and some times people may not know about the presence of the cyst in their body and will pass off their life. He also said that the syrinx is very small and you need not think of a surgery or whatsoever and just forget about it until and unless I experience symptoms, then I can go for further evaluation and a contrast MRI, as the present cyst is asymptomatic, Also he told me that it does not appear to him as a syrinx. So I just left the matter there.

1. So far seven long years have passed without a symptom . I have never experienced headache at any time or weakness in the limbs.

I have Type II diabetes since 2010. BPH since 2014. BPPV since 2011,IHD 1977 . BP since 1981 .Thyroid since 2012 Ti nnitus since 2009. I am taking medicines for IHD,BP,Diabetes,BPH. All are under control. I am now 75 year old
    Firstly1. I wish to know your valuable opinion in the case . 2. I wish to know the most commonest symptoms that the patients with this syrinx/cyst come to you, so that I can keep an eye on , if I know before hand. 3. Do you think that the cyst /syrinx might have desolved over this period or will it be there doramantly.

That size is too small to worry about. Surgery or drainage is controversial and our neurosurgeons only do if pt. is losing function.
    As long as it isn't enlarging rapidly which sounds like it isn't I wouldn't worry.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

While I am thanking the super moderator SCI Nurse for her quick reply i wish Dr Young to see my question and give me a reply. I do not know whether I am doing a wrong in seeking another opinion from Dr Young apart SCNurse.If so please forgive me

I can ask Dr. Young for his opinion on this, but I don't think it will be any different. The size and growth period of the cyst are the keys to the advice given.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you for your kind advise. I am happy with your advise and eloboration. I once again thanking you.