Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Packing up" rigid W/C for airplane "hold"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    I thought there was room only for a folding W/C in the closet. Good point about getting my chair for connecting flights.
    I did too. I've looked at them before and don't think a rigid 18x18 TiLite would fit.

I'm still wondering- if they brought your custom wheelchair up from storage and it has gotten broke-up to the point where it's not safely useable- what would you do? Transfer chair to their beater wheelchair with fixed armrests and a 90 degree back to seat, then file a claim with baggage and then...?
    So far, the only scenario i can picture is getting him to an airport hotel, ordering a modest folding wheelchair chair on Amazon Prime and, after that arrives, fly back home, to figure out the details and coverage with which ever company contracts for these problems.

You are overthinking it. If you try to cover every possible scenario you won't leave home without a tank and another one for back up. They know it's a wheelchair and how important it is. They treat it accordingly, not like just another piece of luggage. This isn't wishful thinking. I used to fly about 10 times per year and never had any damage. If there was, what could they possibly do to a rigid frame other than scratch it? If it's scratches to the paint you're concerned about, then you've got yourself a losing battle. Get a titanium frame and put that concern to rest. If it's structural damage you're concerned about, just know that I've had a car almost back over me. I fell out of the chair and the chair stopped the car from rolling over me. They're strong. It's the wheel spokes I worry about. But even if they broke a spoke, I could still get around with a broken spoke good enough until it was fixed.
    Last edited by August West; 07-14-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Re: "just know that I've had a car almost back over me. I fell out of the chair and the chair stopped the car from rolling over me."
    O.K., that puts my worries in perspective. Well said. Glad you're still here.

I hope your travels are less stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    You are overthinking it. If you try to cover every possible scenario you won't leave home without a tank and another one for back up. They know it's a wheelchair and how important it is. They treat it accordingly, not like just another piece of luggage. This isn't wishful thinking. I used to fly about 10 times per year and never had any damage. If there was, what could they possibly do to a rigid frame other than scratch it? If it's scratches to the paint you're concerned about, then you've got yourself a losing battle. Get a titanium frame and put that concern to rest. If it's structural damage you're concerned about, just know that I've had a car almost back over me. I fell out of the chair and the chair stopped the car from rolling over me. They're strong. It's the wheel spokes I worry about. But even if they broke a spoke, I could still get around with a broken spoke good enough until it was fixed.

Perfectly said...

People get so stressed out that many times they will talk themselves out of traveling?

Everything is fixable!

If you are worried about your spokes, you could always get spoke guards that they use in Wheelchair Basketball or Rugby. They do an excellent job of protecting spokes and are easily removable (Velcro straps).

We've flow a number of times without issues. At the bottom of the gate ramp she gets in the isle chair, and I take off all to loose bits (fenders, back, arms, seat cushion and the battery off her FireFly) and put them into a big shopping bag to take into the cabin with us. Other than lots of questions on the FireFly, no problems so far.

I've seen too many veteran's chairs get trashed on the airlines and would caution those who assume everyone who might handle your chair realizes how critical it is for your day-today function and how difficult it may be to replace. A few simple things can go a long way to preventing damage.

How does removing the wheels mitigate risk of damage?

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    How does removing the wheels mitigate risk of damage?
    I'm not sure how to interpret that, but there is much more to it. Most of my 3,500+ posts are from a kinder gentler time on CC when people came here to help and support one another. Here's the original post from 2008.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...DC-with-my-ZRc

My chair is now 11 years old and has aged better than I have.