Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Packing up" rigid W/C for airplane "hold"

For those of you who "only fly southwest". How do you pull that off?

I mean if I wanted to go with a specific company on specific dates with any layovers long enough to travel between flights after being last off first on, I'd expect to pay at least three times what the cheapest provider would pay. And what do you do if Southwest doesn't fly to a location?

Or are you making the same run to see family over and over and Southwest has a direct connection or something?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    For those of you who "only fly southwest". How do you pull that off?

I mean if I wanted to go with a specific company on specific dates with any layovers long enough to travel between flights after being last off first on, I'd expect to pay at least three times what the cheapest provider would pay. And what do you do if Southwest doesn't fly to a location?

Or are you making the same run to see family over and over and Southwest has a direct connection or something?
    We dont have an issue based in Phx SW air flies all the places we need. We also use SW credit card so most of our flights are very inexpensive or even free paying only taxes.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapid...rds/index.html

Not saying one has to fly specific airlines we just got great service from SW and minimal to no damage.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/rou...V-AIR-ROUTEMAP

Working with a friend who just flew United for his 1st trip vs SW and they damaged his chair so now he is dealing with repairs.

Southwest is competitive on rates and weekly has sales, knowing how to book can also save you money.

My advice is if you fly another airline still follow the process if meeting with a ramp supervisor on how to board your chair and yourself and be specific on how your chair breaks down and to fly it upright.

Very helpful info RollPositive. Thanks all. Think SW is the way to go. Would like to go non-stop because of the chair, but no-one offers that from GA to Oregon!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    Very helpful info RollPositive. Thanks all. Think SW is the way to go. Would like to go non-stop because of the chair, but no-one offers that from GA to Oregon!
    Dont over think it relax and enjoy if you can handle a direct flight do it if not give your body the break. For some to sit in a plane for 3 plus hours is taxing for others its not a big deal.

If you do a lay over make sure you give yourself an 2 hours between flights to get your chair use the restroom, eat etc and not be rushed.

Also if you fly southwest and sit in the front seats you dont have a tray table so if you need one sit in the 2nd row.

Message me if you need help!

Have fun and post pictures!!

It doesn't take much to get me nervous, but we haven't flown in a long while and currently have tickets to Chicago on United next month.

What does one do if they're strapped to that horrible transfer chair and find that either the wheelchair is damaged, still in the home airport or was loaded onto a plane going somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    It doesn't take much to get me nervous, but we haven't flown in a long while and currently have tickets to Chicago on United next month.

What does one do if they're strapped to that horrible transfer chair and find that either the wheelchair is damaged, still in the home airport or was loaded onto a plane going somewhere else?
    I would wait till your chair is brought to the plane before you start the transfer process to the isle chair.

This does 2 things, remember this is a business and the business is to get the plane unloaded and reloaded and for that jet to pull away from the gate.

They get fined if they pull out late.

So by you staying in the plane you will be more comfortable and it will move the process along. If ground ask if you can wait in the jetway explain no due to comfort, its cooler and the isle chair is not comfortable.

Once your chair get to the jetway I would send someone out to do a fast inspection have them walk around the chair if it looks ok just let you know and start the transfer process.

If something is wrong they can put you in a wheelchair and they can push you to United baggage claim and put in a claim for damage.

My bet is if you get there an hour early, follow the plan of talking to them and explaining your chair, your chair will be fine!!

Have faith and believe! Remember everything is fixable too.

Remember your chair to the jetway at your home airport and then you transfer in the jetway, so all they are doing is taking your chair out the door of the jetway and carry it down to load it or if it doesn't fit though the door to the fright elevator so its not going to get damaged at home.

Make sure you let them know to come back up and notify you once its loaded!!

Remember you be in charge they work for you not you for them!

Thank you, RollPositive. Your optimism and advice is appreciated !

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post

If you do a lay over make sure you give yourself an 2 hours between flights to get your chair use the restroom, eat etc and not be rushed.
    i agree strongly with this. I once had a 90 my mute layover and everything was running more or less on time, but because airlines have badgered everyone into carrying on all their luggage and you’re first on, last off I almost missed my connecting flight. It had already boarded, so I had to wait for the aisle to clear and then get strapped to the aisle chair and wheeeled through a crowded cabin last. Not a fun experience. And I was moving quickly. I was probably going an average of 8 miles an hour, flying past pedestrians and using the people movers to get an extra speed boost.

now I make sure I have at least two hours.

A rigid wheelchair will fit in the coat compartment of the airplane. I don't know the max size. You could call the airline and ask. Mine is 16" wide and it fits. Don't worry about this being an unreasonable request. Airlines specify this option on their website. You have to get there early enough to pre-board or else the space will be taken. It's a tight fit so you may have to put your cushion in overhead storage.

If you want to put you wheelchair in the luggage area of the plane, just remember there's a time constraint so it has to be something quick. A fabric store or auto/home upholstery service can custom make a case for the frame.

Wheel cases are standard parts available online.

Don't worry about them losing your wheelchair. They can put your luggage in the wrong plane when they take possession of it at the gate. When they take possession of your wheelchair while it is on the plane (or the jet bridge) there's no other plane they can put it in other than the one you are on.

There is the risk of putting your chair in the wrong plane between connecting flights. But only if you use their wheelchair to get from plane to plane. I'd have them deliver your chair to you between connecting flights.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    A rigid wheelchair will fit in the coat compartment of the airplane. I don't know the max size. You could call the airline and ask. Mine is 16" wide and it fits. Don't worry about this being an unreasonable request. Airlines specify this option on their website. You have to get there early enough to pre-board or else the space will be taken. It's a tight fit so you may have to put your cushion in overhead storage.

If you want to put you wheelchair in the luggage area of the plane, just remember there's a time constraint so it has to be something quick. A fabric store or auto/home upholstery service can custom make a case for the frame.

Wheel cases are standard parts available online.

Don't worry about them losing your wheelchair. They can put your luggage in the wrong plane when they take possession of it at the gate. When they take possession of your wheelchair while it is on the plane (or the jet bridge) there's no other plane they can put it in other than the one you are on.

There is the risk of putting your chair in the wrong plane between connecting flights. But only if you use their wheelchair to get from plane to plane. I'd have them deliver your chair to you between connecting flights.
    I thought there was room only for a folding W/C in the closet. Good point about getting my chair for connecting flights.