Thread: Anyone convert a Seated Stair lift to a platform stair lift

Anyone convert a Seated Stair lift to a platform stair lift

I have a straight run of 14 stairs to basement. Used stair platform lifts are basically impossible to find, however, used acorn or other chair lifts with seat are plentiful. Do you think it would be that difficult to convert one. Possibly by removing seated chair and attaching a platform for manual chair to roll on and off I live in rural area and with a do it your self application don't really have to worry about codes as i would remove it before re-sale which will be after i am gone..

I wanted to say no, but looking at mine it might be doable. My stairway is 36 inches wide, the Acorn seat carriage is 3-4 inches from the wall, but that is so the seat can turn. This leaves 25 inches clearance to the far wall, but mounting the track closer could give u[ to 28 inches for a platform if you tried to hang one from the chair carriage where the motor and batteries are. All you would be doing is removing the seat. It does seem to me you would need a track on the opposite side for stability, but that is a structures issue to work out. Space is the first one.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I think space wise it would work but support wise not sure either. Although the Harmar or Ameriglide units abot 8 to 11K only have rail on one side. Would love to find an old butler stair lift but have tried Disabled dealer one craigs and e bay no used stair platform lifts of any kind..

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I wanted to say no, but looking at mine it might be doable. My stairway is 36 inches wide, the Acorn seat carriage is 3-4 inches from the wall, but that is so the seat can turn. This leaves 25 inches clearance to the far wall, but mounting the track closer could give u[ to 28 inches for a platform if you tried to hang one from the chair carriage where the motor and batteries are. All you would be doing is removing the seat. It does seem to me you would need a track on the opposite side for stability, but that is a structures issue to work out. Space is the first one.

I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Yes trying to limit transfers as much as possible I will be going down to basement daily probably end up going new if you ever run across a stair platform lift pm me i may not make final decision till this fall

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Yes trying to limit transfers as much as possible I will be going down to basement daily probably end up going new if you ever run across a stair platform lift pm me i may not make final decision till this fall
    This one just came up, short for your need but it is the real deal at the right price:
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/h...633768707.html

Yep would have to be about twice as long nice to know they are out there

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    This one just came up, short for your need but it is the real deal at the right price:
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/h...633768707.html