Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone convert a Seated Stair lift to a platform stair lift

I have no argument with Phil or Lavender, but when I look at either my Acorn or Bruno lifts it looks doable. As long as the weight is kept to a minimum, I would be tempted to try if I came up with something dirt cheap. The outrigger track might not be needed.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I think stair-lifts aren't suitable for conversion to a platform lift.
    Stair lifts have the mass centroid only slightly outboard of the tack, perhaps even above it.
    A platform cantilevers this weigh and imposes a function way beyond the stair-lift's design.
    Even if you put a secondary track on the stairs to pick up some of that load, the torque from such might upset the carriage which is designed to take up virtually none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    I would agree with pfcs49 the torque with the weight being pushed too much past the chair base would damage the lift. I do have a second chair downstairs so I can do laundry. My lift failed this year with me stuck downstairs. Fortunately my son was home and was able to carry me up by piggy backing me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I have no argument with Phil or Lavender, but when I look at either my Acorn or Bruno lifts it looks doable. As long as the weight is kept to a minimum, I would be tempted to try if I came up with something dirt cheap. The outrigger track might not be needed.
    Thanks for the input
    Standing up for our rights, one offender at a time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH59mpTo5x8

Follow me on instagram: mikeinbmore

On second thought, if others can deal with the congestion, you could move the stair track out so it's centered under the platform, eliminating most stress.
    Of course, that would require a raised lower platform and the requisite ramp onto it.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I ran into the same thing when I was trying to sort out access to my basement. Finally decided it made more sense to build a lift from scratch. If you are handy enough to attempt converting, you should be able to build what I built. All in, it cost me a little over a grand. That included the cost of a little wire feed welder. The basics of it are a wedge shaped carriage that runs on 2" angle iron "rails" which are lag bolted to each step ( Probably could have done every 4th step or so but I'm not an engineer). The carriage has a 12 volt deep cycle battery, an automotive winch, and 6 solenoids. The carriage has a total of 8 skate board wheels, two at each corner. One above and one below the rail. There is a wood framed platform with a short ramp at the bottom of the stairs ( I couldn't figure out a way to make the lift go all the way to flush with the basement floor without having the mechanism protrude through the door at the top of the stairs. I've since figured out a way to do it).

The carriage is normally parked at the bottom and is essentially part of the platform at the bottom of the stairs. When parked, it is connected via contacts to a 12v charger and to a doorbell switch at the top of the stairs. this functions as a "call" button. A limit switch was attached to a bumper bar along the back of the carriage to act as a safety in case anything got in the way of the lift on its way up. It would also shut off the lift when the carriage reached the top. A similar setup on the front would shut the lift off when it reached the parked position.

The cable runs out of the winch and, through a series of pulleys, up one side of the stairs, down through the top stair, across, back up, down the other side and attaches back to the carriage.

I'm new here and I haven't sorted out posting pictures yet, but if you are interested, let me know and I'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by howjeffrolls View Post

I'm new here and I haven't sorted out posting pictures yet, but if you are interested, let me know and I'll figure it out.
    This sounds great. I'm trying to picture it, but would love if you could figure out posting pics. Or shoot them to me directly.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-Where-to-post

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinbmore View Post
    This sounds great. I'm trying to picture it, but would love if you could figure out posting pics. Or shoot them to me directly.

The first picture is the lift in the parked position from the basement.

Next is the view from the top of the stairs with the lift up.

Detail of the 2" angle Iron rails and the Mounting brackets. All of the steel was from Horne Steel In Geneva, IL. They cut everything to length for me including the mounting brackets.

The "circuit board" has 6 solenoids wired up to allow the winch circuit to remain energized as it moves up or down until it hits the limit switches.

the hinged plywood board on the front activates the "down" limit switch and also has three copper strips mounted on it that function as contacts for the 12v charger and the "call button (doorbell button mounted to the upstairs door frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

And, of course, the pictures are in reverse order.

Here are more:
    Attached Images Attached Images      

So Howjeff, you'd be welcome visit my home anytime and make suggestions.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thank you for the detailed pics and explanation. Seems straight forward enough. I'm already thinking of a couple of ways to improve it.
    How long have you been using yours and has there ever been a failure?