Thread: AirBnb, VRBO

AirBnb, VRBO

I'm curious how many have used either in recent years, and the pros/cons you've experienced?

Since purchasing Accomable last year, the accessibility features of Air BnB have improved but fully wheelchair accessible places with roll-in showers aren't plentiful.

By pressing the "More Options" button, you can choose Accessibility features.

I randomly picked Galveston, TX for a couple of days in August.

i requested flat access, roll-in shower, wide doors on the Accessibility features and got 9 hits.

Only ONE of the 9 listings actually had these features. The main thing lacking in the others was the roll-in shower.

This is what I found:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2129173...-23&s=q68QoRFg

Looks nice but, even there, the 'roll-in" shower entry doesn't look flat (although it may just be the photo lighting). Were we actually going, I'd confirm all the details with the owner in writing before booking.
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 07-01-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    Since purchasing Accomable last year, the accessibility features of Air BnB have improved but fully wheelchair accessible places with roll-in showers aren't plentiful.

By pressing the "More Options" button, you can choose Accessibility features.

I randomly picked Galveston, TX for a couple of days in August.

i requested flat access, roll-in shower, wide doors on the Accessibility features and got 9 hits.

Only ONE of the 9 listings actually had these features. The main thing lacking in the others was the roll-in shower.

This is what I found:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2129173...-23&s=q68QoRFg

Looks nice but, even there, the 'roll-in" shower entry doesn't look flat (although it may just be the photo lighting). Were we actually going, I'd confirm all the details with the owner in writing before booking.

The bad thing about using these services are perception. The person renting may not understand our needs and perception is critical. If something is over looked you will not know till you get there and that's to late vacation ruined.

This one you found is rare and looks great.

What you seeing in the shower is the small lift that flattens as you roll over it. Purpose is to keep the water in this base area and not all over the bathroom. Common with hotels with roll in showers.

I used them once or twice. Less standardized than a hotel (so you can't assume ADA access), but you can get extreme specifics that are (in my experience) difficult to get from a hotel. Like how wide is the door, can I get a picture of the bathroom, etc, etc.

Obviously the vast majority of homes on AirBNB are inaccessible (just as the vast majority of homes people live in are), but they have a filter that's pretty useful (though sometimes people don't know what roll in shower or stepfree entry means). I would always confirm with the host, but the way the business is set up the host expects you to talk with them and ask questions before booking so its not a big deal like at a hotel.

Also you get pictures of the specific unit you will actually be staying in, not pictures of whichever "ADA Accessible" room the hotel manager snapped shots of which may or may not be the one available when you show up.

Outside of accesibility issues I'd choose AirBNB over a hotel every time. It's almost universally quieter, in a better location (unless you're talking disney world or some other resort), and a more relaxed, vacation like atmosphere. You have all the amenities of home (real cookware and a real kitchen and real refrigerator, washer dryer in the home usually, etc, etc).

Like RP says, you just have to be extremely specific about exactly what you need.

I stay in AirBnB frequently. A couple of years ago I stayed in a place in Oregon where the owner was a full time wheelchair user, and the suite she offered for rent was also fully accessible, including a roll-in shower. So they are out there. I wasn't looking for an accessible unit...I just happened to book one.

A big advantage of AirBnB is that 1) you see photos of the actual accommodates, not a "sample" room as on a hotel website, and 2) it is easy to communicate with the owner prior to booking to ask questions about the features of the unit, location, etc. I must say that I try to only book accommodations where the owner is present in the home, rather than absentee.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm curious to give it a try. The accessibility filters are interesting, and as noted, you can certainy discuss specifics directly with the owner. Plus, less likelihood of the dreaded platform bed.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I used them once or twice. Less standardized than a hotel (so you can't assume ADA access), but you can get extreme specifics that are (in my experience) difficult to get from a hotel. Like how wide is the door, can I get a picture of the bathroom, etc, etc.

Obviously the vast majority of homes on AirBNB are inaccessible (just as the vast majority of homes people live in are), but they have a filter that's pretty useful (though sometimes people don't know what roll in shower or stepfree entry means). I would always confirm with the host, but the way the business is set up the host expects you to talk with them and ask questions before booking so its not a big deal like at a hotel.

Also you get pictures of the specific unit you will actually be staying in, not pictures of whichever "ADA Accessible" room the hotel manager snapped shots of which may or may not be the one available when you show up.

Outside of accesibility issues I'd choose AirBNB over a hotel every time. It's almost universally quieter, in a better location (unless you're talking disney world or some other resort), and a more relaxed, vacation like atmosphere. You have all the amenities of home (real cookware and a real kitchen and real refrigerator, washer dryer in the home usually, etc, etc).

Like RP says, you just have to be extremely specific about exactly what you need.

We never have an issue with a manager sending us pictures of a specific room then blocking that room on the day of arrival for our stay.

But more important on a few times even with pictures and or video that room still didnt work and they have taken us around to review others room.

In an ABB what you book as what you get with no recourse and I would bet not 100% refundable

Housing on demand apps are years behind Uber and Lyft and look how limited those are...

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    AirBnb has 55 places in Lincoln Nebraska, but it says none of them are "accessible". I wish there was a way to at least know how many steps they have. With my 8-foot ramp, I can get my power wheelchair up 3 steps. I don't want to have to start contacting the 55 places to see if any would work for me. It seems like they should require number of steps (to the house or room) in the description.
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle