Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manual wheelchair power assist device recommendations needed.

I have the TWIONs and they're great, except that their configuration software got pulled by the FDA so I cannot currently change any settings (speed settings). I had to have one replaced after about a year and that's the problem as the software I have from before won't pair with the new wheel because they cannot send me the pairing code until the FDA lets it back onto the market.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

My Rio mobility Firefly has served me well over the past 5 years. Cheapest of the options if ur paying out of pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamblvr View Post
    One of the objectives is to use a power assist device to negotiate the chair in our FL community over a mile distance to the exercise and fitness center for resistance training. Driving and transferring in my vehicle home from training when muscles are fatigued is challenging. We also have a long steep grade driveway in PA that I no longer want to risk climbing and straining my shoulders to simply check the mail or get beyond the garage without transferring into my Trackchair. In PA, downhill control is critical.
    zx hands down then, imo
    come check mine out
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have both. It really depends on your level of injury, your strength, and what you want/need from a power assist device. I prefer my SmartDrive because it's extremely easy to transport and I can quickly attach it myself. There's also a significant difference in cost, although you should be able to find a good deal on a lightly used zx-1 unit (I'd be open to selling mine if anyone's interested).

I was initially drawn to the zx-1 over the first version of SmartDrive b/c I felt that it would be easier to engage (specifically with SmartDrive - the need to separately install the battery and the motor, and the switch seemed fussy). By contrast the zx-1 was like being able to convert to an electric chair when I want/need it, but go with a manual chair for the majority of the time. After some experience and rehab, I felt much more comfortable with a manual chair than I expected. The current version of the SmartDrive has been amazing for day trips with family and friends, trips to the office, or family trips when I decide that I need some extra help for what would otherwise be a long day of pushing or an experience where I'm holding everyone up because I can't keep up with them.

I'd suggest you go over your own agenda, imagine that you have both devices, and think about which one you'd reach for. Good luck!

Do You have a rigid frame chair? I have a Tilite folder I am a para but have not found anyway possible to attach SD. It's actually not that easy for an Able Body helper to put it on You have to get down on knees and hold two spring loaded tabs in at same time to get it attached I am not sure but am interested in how to attach to rigid frame but I think it must be much easier I don't really recommend for folder but see some apps for rigid frame However there is a lot of control issues and expect it to fail when you need it most (going up a grade)and kick into high gear when you need it least (down grade) Pro's for hard surface flat areas it works well and will go a long ways

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    I have both. It really depends on your level of injury, your strength, and what you want/need from a power assist device. I prefer my SmartDrive because it's extremely easy to transport and I can quickly attach it myself. There's also a significant difference in cost, although you should be able to find a good deal on a lightly used zx-1 unit (I'd be open to selling mine if anyone's interested).

I was initially drawn to the zx-1 over the first version of SmartDrive b/c I felt that it would be easier to engage (specifically with SmartDrive - the need to separately install the battery and the motor, and the switch seemed fussy). By contrast the zx-1 was like being able to convert to an electric chair when I want/need it, but go with a manual chair for the majority of the time. After some experience and rehab, I felt much more comfortable with a manual chair than I expected. The current version of the SmartDrive has been amazing for day trips with family and friends, trips to the office, or family trips when I decide that I need some extra help for what would otherwise be a long day of pushing or an experience where I'm holding everyone up because I can't keep up with them.

I'd suggest you go over your own agenda, imagine that you have both devices, and think about which one you'd reach for. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Do You have a rigid frame chair? I have a Tilite folder I am a para but have not found anyway possible to attach SD. It's actually not that easy for an Able Body helper to put it on You have to get down on knees and hold two spring loaded tabs in at same time to get it attached I am not sure but am interested in how to attach to rigid frame but I think it must be much easier I don't really recommend for folder but see some apps for rigid frame However there is a lot of control issues and expect it to fail when you need it most (going up a grade)and kick into high gear when you need it least (down grade) Pro's for hard surface flat areas it works well and will go a long ways
    I have a rigid frame chair (TiLite). I find that it's pretty straightforward to attach the SD - turn in my chair a bit, reach back, and hook the SD on the axle of my chair. It's surprisingly good on inclines, although I wonder if hills will have an impact on the long-term life of the unit. From my perspective, the control issues are negligible when you have a bit of practice with the SD. You turn the wrist unit off when going down an incline and you can quickly engage/disengage when you're navigating. I find that it's very natural when out with friends so nobody really notices - you just keep up with them. One thing to note - I have the 'original' wrist unit with just one button. I'm told by friends that this unit is more reliable than the new one. Maybe someone with more experience with the new wrist unit can comment.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    I have a rigid frame chair (TiLite). I find that it's pretty straightforward to attach the SD - turn in my chair a bit, reach back, and hook the SD on the axle of my chair. It's surprisingly good on inclines, although I wonder if hills will have an impact on the long-term life of the unit. From my perspective, the control issues are negligible when you have a bit of practice with the SD. You turn the wrist unit off when going down an incline and you can quickly engage/disengage when you're navigating. I find that it's very natural when out with friends so nobody really notices - you just keep up with them. One thing to note - I have the 'original' wrist unit with just one button. I'm told by friends that this unit is more reliable than the new one. Maybe someone with more experience with the new wrist unit can comment.
    i had their newest mx2 and the 2 previous versions. for a quad, the mx2 is much better but still has the downsides mentioned.......without hand function, no way you can mount it solo either in the chair. possibly from van seat or car.... they we great company, i havent dealt with them direct since permobil bought them.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    I have a box frame chair and have to say it is a good product bit unless things have changed it has been a disappointment with a mounting system for box frame. I paid alot for the first generation when it came out. My vendor did not even know it woud be an issue and I found out on my own there was a sling device , It is kind of lame and a deterrent to using. At 40 plus years in the chair it is a hassle I would have been able to manage fairly easy @ 20 years but then at 20 years didn't need assitive device.

Not being sour grapes but put out a lot of $ for something that is not practical with my chair . I wish vendor was better informed.

If I had it to do over I would get a zx.

Edited to add the people at Smart Drive were nice folks but no solutions to my situation.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 07-02-2018 at 08:14 PM. Reason: info

Blog Entries
    4grand, just been sitting around...http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...38#post1851538

I am sincerely grateful for all of the insight!

How much initial set up expertise and general maintenance is needed between the ZX-1 or Twion rims? I?m using a rigid TiLite chair. Will the Twion wheel act as a brake going down steeper grades?
    If you think that you can or if you feel you can't, either way your right.