Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Platform style beds strike again

I reached out to Marriott regarding using standard bed frames in at least one ADA room. This was the response:

Hello Mr., Marriott welcomes guests with disabilities and we are committed to providing an outstanding guest experience. In the United States and its territories, our hotels comply with all requirements as outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). As for hotels outside of the U.S. and its territories, they must comply with all governmental requirements regarding accessibilities. This includes applicable federal, state, provincial, and local requirements.

Your suggestion on beds that allow lift clearance has been shared with the operations team. We are always working to improve service and our hotels do make reasonable modifications to meet the needs of our guests. Our customers are a vital part of that process and we are honored that you took time to share your ideas with us.

''Your suggestion on beds that allow lift clearance has been shared with the operations team. We are always working to improve service and our hotels do make reasonable modifications to meet the needs of our guests. Our customers are a vital part of that process and we are honored that you took time to share your ideas with us.'']

Reasonable modifications? It's a bed frame. You're not asking them to redo the whole room. GEEZ!!

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    My wife and I just returned from New Orleans. We booked our room at our favorite hotel. I called to confirm we had an accessible room and the beds were the same. Yes to both. We get there head to the room and everything looks good. My wife says hold on a second she looks under the bed and there is a metal base right in the middle of the bed. Here we go again. Right away the lady goes and checks other rooms and finds one that doesn't have a metal base underneath it so we were good to go. I don't want to hear ''a platform bed is more simple to clean and customers cant leave anything under the bed''. We are talking about a couple of rooms. Not every single room. What I still don't understand is the ADA covers everything except the beds. How is that possible? I can get into the room, I can get around the bed but I can't get into the bed. Really?? RollPositive do you use a lift to get in and out of bed?
    Hey buddy just sent you a FB message...when you say we talked "the lady" who is that?

My experience has been only work with the GM of that hotel once you find a hotel that will work for you.
    I use email only because you have a digital footprint of what was said.

Also at a GM level you have less of a risk of something going wrong.

I use this person for pictures, videos now and measurements if needed. Remember this is also the person who can provide upgrades at no cost and comps!

You would be surprised how many comps and upgrades we have gotten not even asking but just wanting to put a positive spin on your stay.

Once you find a hotel, and a room this person can also "block" a room meaning pull it out of invetory for your stay preventing it from being booked.

A few days before email them to confirm what your expecting, cost and get a name and number if he or her are not there (daay off) who your contact will be for issues.

We do not use a lift which does not minimize what I am saying its just that lift users are needing very specific needs and because these needs are so specific most will not understand. So when talking only to a manager or GM make sure your 1st email includes a picture of a hoyer lift as they may not understand how it works and why you need the area under the bed to be open.

Remember ADA is a guideline its not going to cover every case or every need but with a little effort you can travel issue free!

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I reached out to Marriott regarding using standard bed frames in at least one ADA room. This was the response:

Hello Mr., Marriott welcomes guests with disabilities and we are committed to providing an outstanding guest experience. In the United States and its territories, our hotels comply with all requirements as outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). As for hotels outside of the U.S. and its territories, they must comply with all governmental requirements regarding accessibilities. This includes applicable federal, state, provincial, and local requirements.

Your suggestion on beds that allow lift clearance has been shared with the operations team. We are always working to improve service and our hotels do make reasonable modifications to meet the needs of our guests. Our customers are a vital part of that process and we are honored that you took time to share your ideas with us.

Landrover hadn't checked email so I took the email that one hotel sent and sent it to the other two hotels in Paris.

Have you tried Hyatt brands?
    Last edited by RollPositive; 07-05-2018 at 06:52 PM.

I've even begun to think of buying a cot (yes, one for camping), and figure something out for padding, and traveling with that!

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I've even begun to think of buying a cot (yes, one for camping), and figure something out for padding, and traveling with that!
    Remember pull out sofa style will also work as it has the legs so the lift would roll under but you give up comfort.

Did those other two hotels respond? Dont give up after only one brand hotel.

I ran into the issue with the bathroom. No bar by the seat and all the shower control's were at the opposite end. If I had been alone I would not have been able to shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    I ran into the issue with the bathroom. No bar by the seat and all the shower control's were at the opposite end. If I had been alone I would not have been able to shower.
    Another good reason to work only with the GM of the property and get pictures of the room and bathroom to make sure it will work for you.

So you have no surprises. One hack is when the controls are on the opposite side have housekeeping bring you a shower chair and sit closer.

Just an update...after a month since contacting corporate re: platform beds in their hotels, and specific properties in Paris (my main preference responding initially that they could/would not make any accommodations) I received the following email:

I hereby would like to get back to our discussion regarding the bed type and the possibility to place the lift underneath the bed. I am very happy to inform you that we will do everything we can to accommodate you in our property. Our Engineering Department will find the best suitable solution to secure the safety of you in the room, while lifting the bed a few inches.

Of course, since my initial conversation and frustration, I reconsidered my travel plans (now debating between Yellowstone/Grand Teton vs. London/Paris). Nonetheless, thought it was an interesting change of heart.

we just stayed at the hilton oceanfront in VB, the bed was great for lift, was on 6 inch legs.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer