Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Platform style beds strike again

Platform style beds strike again

I should quit my full-time job and take on one of the greatest challenges in my life, platform style beds. I'm now beyond frustrated and exhausted having to hunt for hotels that have beds that will accommodate a patient lift. Why can't hotel chains use standard bed frames in their ADA rooms?! I spend more times communicating with hotels about bed styles then I do anything else when traveling. Case in point...I am hoping to visit London/Paris next May. Fortunately I have plenty of awards points that will allow me to splurge on the hotel. I reached out to a Marriott hotel in Paris, one at the highest category in their chains, inquiring about the bed type. Sure enough, no go. But more troubling is, that even with ample notice, they have zero interest in discussing any possible accommodations. Beyond frustrating.

Yes this is so frustrating. Why can't someone invent a patient lift that will work with any style of bed?

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Yes this is so frustrating. Why can't someone invent a patient lift that will work with any style of bed?
    Not sure how this would work mechanically. The base, for balance, needs to be able to go under the bed. Of course track lifts get around this, but not very practical for travel.

It would be better if the Access Board would include beds with a space underneath for a lift in their standards for lodging facilities (along with bed height standards). That of course would only help in the USA, but it would be a start.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not sure how this would work mechanically. The base, for balance, needs to be able to go under the bed. Of course track lifts get around this, but not very practical for travel.

It would be better if the Access Board would include beds with a space underneath for a lift in their standards for lodging facilities (along with bed height standards). That of course would only help in the USA, but it would be a start.

(KLD)
    Perhaps lifts could have legs that opened up to 90 degrees if needed....at the very least in a pinch you could get on the bed by the corner, and repositioned.

If I needed it, I think I'd take a battery powered reciprocating saw along and make a hole.

What about an airbnb? Using 'more filters' you can really nail down the access part .. it's less expensive .. and you'll probably have a more authentic trip! (Accessible bed height is one of the filters)

A friend recently turned me onto it as I hope to take a weekend way up north in August or September.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    What about an airbnb? Using 'more filters' you can really nail down the access part .. it's less expensive .. and you'll probably have a more authentic trip! (Accessible bed height is one of the filters)

A friend recently turned me onto it as I hope to take a weekend way up north in August or September.
    I'm going to start a post about this. I'm curious about people's experiences!

this works with our molift as is with legs opened. getting out this way is easy with a u-sling. getting in isnt bad either but if you arent real mobile could be tricky.
    Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Perhaps lifts could have legs that opened up to 90 degrees if needed....at the very least in a pinch you could get on the bed by the corner, and repositioned.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I should quit my full-time job and take on one of the greatest challenges in my life, platform style beds. I'm now beyond frustrated and exhausted having to hunt for hotels that have beds that will accommodate a patient lift. Why can't hotel chains use standard bed frames in their ADA rooms?! I spend more times communicating with hotels about bed styles then I do anything else when traveling. Case in point...I am hoping to visit London/Paris next May. Fortunately I have plenty of awards points that will allow me to splurge on the hotel. I reached out to a Marriott hotel in Paris, one at the highest category in their chains, inquiring about the bed type. Sure enough, no go. But more troubling is, that even with ample notice, they have zero interest in discussing any possible accommodations. Beyond frustrating.
    Its not about being accommodating but hoyer lift customers are rare and a platform bed is more simple to clean a room and customers cant leave anything under the bed.

If your having an issue why not use a travel agent and explain to them your needs.

Let them do the work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Its not about being accommodating but hoyer lift customers are rare and a platform bed is more simple to clean a room and customers cant leave anything under the bed.

If your having an issue why not use a travel agent and explain to them your needs.

Let them do the work for you?
    My wife and I just returned from New Orleans. We booked our room at our favorite hotel. I called to confirm we had an accessible room and the beds were the same. Yes to both. We get there head to the room and everything looks good. My wife says hold on a second she looks under the bed and there is a metal base right in the middle of the bed. Here we go again. Right away the lady goes and checks other rooms and finds one that doesn't have a metal base underneath it so we were good to go. I don't want to hear ''a platform bed is more simple to clean and customers cant leave anything under the bed''. We are talking about a couple of rooms. Not every single room. What I still don't understand is the ADA covers everything except the beds. How is that possible? I can get into the room, I can get around the bed but I can't get into the bed. Really?? RollPositive do you use a lift to get in and out of bed?