Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you remove a stripped hex screw from brakes?

My new to me project chair had so many stripped screws. We tried the screw extractor, super gluing a screwdriver to the screw, everything but nothing worked. Ended up taking it to the shop and taking an axel grinder to the two we couldn't get off (brakes and caster axel). Worked like a charm. https://flic.kr/p/27fv1HV

Using a flatheaded screwdriver and a hammer I would bang a notch into the screw head and use the screwdriver to twist it out. Uf you have an electric drill and have the hand eye coordination, you could try drilling the screw out. The drill bit would have to be 3/4s of the diameter of the screw tho.
    Last edited by Mutley; 07-26-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Easy out.

Strange that this thread popped up! Just yesterday I stripped a hex head bolt. I used a Easy Out with a ratchet and it took about 3 minutes to remove the bolt. Bought them from amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Strange that this thread popped up! Just yesterday I stripped a hex head bolt. I used a Easy Out with a ratchet and it took about 3 minutes to remove the bolt. Bought them from amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CA1PSCQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Ti
    What a good tool. It looks to save a lot of dicking about. If you need the job done now, today, then the previous suggestions are all worthy.
    For me, if the fastening hex stripped like that I would impact the fastening with a suitable pin punch and hammer before attempting to remove it with the 'after the event' methods. In fact, when removing the fastenings, if you detect that they are held fast, give them a wack before proceeding and stripping the hex, slot, pozi etc.

Blog Entries
    Oh hell yes! Easy Outs save my bacon on the regular. Still trying to learn a lighter hand with tool use.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

My first gambit on socket head screws (after using due circumspection: get penetrating oil/CRC to the backside threads if possible, NOT turning hard enough to distort or nearly strip the flutes)
    I'll take the good quality Allen socket on the side of the grinding wheel and grind the face until there's no radius at the intersections. The 90* edge actually sharp.
    Then, I'll judiciously whack the head of the fastener until it distorts a good deal, but not too much to hammer the sharpened socket into it. If it's a small/countersunk screw, I'll put a nice flat face on the appropriate drift and use that to distort the screw.
    In addition to giving really good bite to the tool/screw interface, , especially at the sharpened tip, I thing it also serves to help free the threads. The fastener, in addition to collapsing some, also must flex or distort the material under it to good effect, and the threads move or at least relax with each blow, freeing it somewhat and letting the penetrant in.
    Usually this is more than enough to get the fastener to release it's grip.
    If that fails, it may get nasty. Heat is usually the next step assuming I've had enough judgement to not overdo it and stretched the socket head.
    Then out comes the drill and center-punch and EZ outs.
    Wheelchairs, I guess they're generally too small for a Heli-Coil, but most of what I formerly did, they were.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

For smaller fasteners, if it gets to the point of drilling, I don't bother with EZ outs, too easy to snap off and then you're really screwed. I just keep drilling, carefully, and re-tap.

Blog Entries
    Left hand drill bit then an easy out.

We had the exact same problem. Tried all the tricks but ended up just taking an axel grinder to the unit that attaches the brakes to the chair. Worked like a charm and much quicker than the hours we spent trying to nicely get it off.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbybay View Post
    We had the exact same problem. Tried all the tricks but ended up just taking an axel grinder to the unit that attaches the brakes to the chair. Worked like a charm and much quicker than the hours we spent trying to nicely get it off.
    in cases where you can do that and just replace the threaded fastener, that is usually the easy button-after a brief attempt using normal stuff.
    It also makes it easier to heat it without damaging what it's stuck in.
    Counterintuitively, you don't heat the nut or the piece the screw is stuck in. You heat the screw; it expands very powerfully in the part around it, crushing oxides inside and, perhaps, slightly enlarging the original threads. While cooling, quench with WD40 etc once it's below ignition temp and it usually becomes uber compliant.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ