Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do BMW drivers and Prius drivers have in common?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    . I'm happy with it and hope to keep it for another ten years unless I can't overcome my aspirations to waste money on a more expensive car for no reason...
    You will definitely have some self-control issues now...

Must resist! Or not...

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    And British sports cars became an addiction

When I got paralyzed I had a restored/modified/fast 67 Sprite, a TR8 (restored) a Bugeye project and a 65 Lotus Super Seven 1500 as well as a Volvo 142E ITB race car and an all original 66 Ducati 240 Mack 1

I'd driven the original 64? Honda S600 and the S2000 was definitely on my menu!

The picture is my Lotus at the Lane Motor Museum. Jeff Lane has long been a friend, and when I got hurt he bought all four cars from me in 96.
    They are among there most pedestrian vehicles in his collection www.lanemotormuseum.com

Also a photo of my Bugeye when the museum began restoration of it with it's Derrington fiberglass nose.
    Why they want to post rotated I can't answer-these are files Jeff sent

PS: if you like unique cars, by all means spend a day at the museum. Virtually everything displayed is a driver-no trailer queens here!
    A week before I wrote off my hand-controlled ITB Golf GTI at Atlanta, I was at Watkins Glenn with my daughter Liz, getting her racing license with EMRA. Both daughters (twins) are crazy about my kind of cars. They have contacted Jeff and will arrive at Nashville sometime soon to hammer on my old anvils. Another wealthy Nashville guy has a road circuit around his property.

Went to the museum site and found my beloved hotrod next to my TR8:austin-healey-sprite-1967

Bittersweet memories for what was or would be! We all have too many.
    Awsome, I know all those cars you brought up ! I love all that stuff ! I got to ride passenger in a Lotus 7 and on the way back home from the track. I love the idea of man and machine with no driving assistants of any kind and the smell of engines and tires ! Yeah, I cant even really watch car video's without getting sad and pissed, because it was so apart of who I was. Everything I was doing in life was to be able to afford a track hobby, eventually at the Porsche level......that's when you know you've "made it" - to me at least. I could honestly daily drive a lotus exige though, I hardly even listend to music while driving because I was so engaged. I didn't speed, corners are what I lived for and getting them right.

S2k is quick, but I wouldn't call it fast, BUT it was hilarious when my passengers would freak out when I would take corners lol - no hooligan tire screeching stuff, nothing but grip. ;p
    Last edited by McLaren87; 06-29-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You will definitely have some self-control issues now...

Must resist! Or not...
    If I was abled bodied I would absolutely go bananas for a challenger that was the size of a bmw 4 series and weighed no more than 3200lbs with more than 400hp, with super fat tires and a 6speed manual. I love the way they look. I knew a guy that was a driving instructor and he had a challenger that he would beat the pants out of. He would instruct these real rich guys that could afford Ferraris and such. Super cool dude.
    So many American cars that are coming out that I want to drive, but of course it happens when I get handicapped.

Quote Originally Posted by McLaren87 View Post
    [LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana] 6speed manual.
    I think manual nowadays just slows the car down. Modern autos can shift a ton quicker than a human, don't suck down nearly as much power as ye olden days 3 speed units, and with the extreme wide ratios available with ~8 speed units, make the cars geared a lot healthier than previous automatics (4.7:1 first gear in the ZF/Chrysler unit!). Computers also keep these in the 'right' gear pretty darn good too. I don't think you'd miss much having to drive automatic

My DSG GTI trans is quite capable.

But nothing can compare to driving my 5 speed GTI racer, even with hand controls-believe me!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I rented a challenger and drove it up in the NC mountains last summer. Funny thing though, when you’re not paying for the tires they seem to go up in smoke pretty quick. Started raining on the third day and I realized the back was getting all squirrelly because the tires were bald. Had to have the dealership trade it out for a Jeep for the rest of the trip, Yuck!

I think owning one of those you’d probably end up spending as much on tires as you would on gas. Was fun to drive tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I think manual nowadays just slows the car down. Modern autos can shift a ton quicker than a human, don't suck down nearly as much power as ye olden days 3 speed units, and with the extreme wide ratios available with ~8 speed units, make the cars geared a lot healthier than previous automatics (4.7:1 first gear in the ZF/Chrysler unit!). Computers also keep these in the 'right' gear pretty darn good too. I don't think you'd miss much having to drive automatic
    Yeah modern autos have pretty good response times, DCT being the best. Rowing your gears is more betta !

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    My DSG GTI trans is quite capable.

But nothing can compare to driving my 5 speed GTI racer, even with hand controls-believe me!
    GTI was the car I was going to get, because of its transmission. Didn't work out - incompetent dealership.

I went on a test drive post injury and I was riding passenger and the salesmen was driving a manual GTI. He was SOOOO bad at it, I felt embarrassed for him lol. He didn't know what heel and toe was, then he tells me he has a manual corvette..... Needless to say I felt SO freaking pissed that I couldn't show that knob how to drive a stick.

You still do track stuff ? Im dealing with so much secondary SCI bullshit, that something like that is out of my reach for now.

Quote Originally Posted by McLaren87 View Post
    GTI was the car I was going to get, because of its transmission. Didn't work out - incompetent dealership.

I went on a test drive post injury and I was riding passenger and the salesmen was driving a manual GTI. He was SOOOO bad at it, I felt embarrassed for him lol. He didn't know what heel and toe was, then he tells me he has a manual corvette..... Needless to say I felt SO freaking pissed that I couldn't show that knob how to drive a stick.

You still do track stuff ? Im dealing with so much secondary SCI bullshit, that something like that is out of my reach for now.
    When I wrote the car off, it was a pretty hard hit-cracked 3 ribs against the side of the racing seat!
    MY wife asked me to stop and I did. Waiting in the paddock for information about my situation for 20 minutes rhymed with when the ambulance went by the house when I had my motorcycle accident 20 years before.
    And now, with my shop gone, I really don't have the wherewithal to fabricate and build stuff much.
    I thought about doing track days with the GTI but thought the better of it. The car, although fun on the street, is actually a nose heavy pig by track standards, and to go fast on track you really need at least a set of shaved tires.
    At 71yoa, I'm content to play music and tend my aquatic gardens.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

After the salesman slammed my head into the hood a few times while yelling "Buy Today!", I finally gave in. 2015 V6 w/25K miles on it. Seriously too nice a car to replace my Crown Vic and be a 'beater', but it will definitely beat driving that annoying f'in Crown Vic all salt season.

(maybe I'll take a real pic sometime, just got the thing tonight)
    Attached Images Attached Images