Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do BMW drivers and Prius drivers have in common?

I had a co-worker who has a lotus and it was in another state at the time. We started talking about cars and he mentioned he had one and my eyes lit up(I wanna drive it !) because I knew which car he was talking about. He eventually brought it over and his wife was scorning him for taking it to work "your showing off.....blah blah blah". He told me that and I'm like "what? - no, that's a super fun car to drive who cares what people think". Most guys are into cars, but much fewer are driving enthusiast. That's why he was surprised that I knew what the car was. Needless to say it was a riot to drive !

See, I've always been a car person and when I was a kid I loved classic cars and muscle cars and hated "imports", other than German cars, which were actually my favorite cars since I can remember. It wasn't till high school that I meet some friends that were into "imports" and I started watching this show called best motoring and they would get very technical with FWD, AWD,RWD, front engine, mid-engine rear-engine, with the pros and cons of each and would test new sports cars around tsukuba circuit in japan with pro drivers and this super winding road called the touge. It was that show that opened my eyes to me seeing that being a "driving enthusiast" was one notch above being a "car enthusiast. Because at the end of the day no matter how cool the car looks - how does it drive ? So for me handling trumped even how much HP a car has. Its easier to add power than it is to drop weight and mass of the car. However some cars that are a little heavy can still handle good, just depends on the engineering.

I had an s2000 which I absolutely loved, the only upgrade from that handling wise stock under 100k, would of been a Porsche cayman, lotus or alfa Romeo 4c. Its funny because I drove a Nissan GTR and that car was AMAZING, I got back into my s2k and it felt so slow, but that go-kart handling - it actually made me feel more content driving my car ironically.

I have the N?rburgring(12+ miles) memorized because I've driven on it so much in forza 7, lol.
    makes me sad thinking about it though, It was on my bucket list.
    Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

We are in glorious times now, where you can get almost 500hp for under 50K from so many vehicle makers.

My first, a Bugeye Sprite, hooked me!

And British sports cars became an addiction

When I got paralyzed I had a restored/modified/fast 67 Sprite, a TR8 (restored) a Bugeye project and a 65 Lotus Super Seven 1500 as well as a Volvo 142E ITB race car and an all original 66 Ducati 240 Mack 1

I'd driven the original 64? Honda S600 and the S2000 was definitely on my menu!

The picture is my Lotus at the Lane Motor Museum. Jeff Lane has long been a friend, and when I got hurt he bought all four cars from me in 96.
    They are among there most pedestrian vehicles in his collection www.lanemotormuseum.com

Also a photo of my Bugeye when the museum began restoration of it with it's Derrington fiberglass nose.
    Why they want to post rotated I can't answer-these are files Jeff sent

PS: if you like unique cars, by all means spend a day at the museum. Virtually everything displayed is a driver-no trailer queens here!
    A week before I wrote off my hand-controlled ITB Golf GTI at Atlanta, I was at Watkins Glenn with my daughter Liz, getting her racing license with EMRA. Both daughters (twins) are crazy about my kind of cars. They have contacted Jeff and will arrive at Nashville sometime soon to hammer on my old anvils. Another wealthy Nashville guy has a road circuit around his property.

Went to the museum site and found my beloved hotrod next to my TR8:austin-healey-sprite-1967

Bittersweet memories for what was or would be! We all have too many.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by pfcs49; 06-28-2018 at 06:12 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    If you're into such cliches then the MB says stuffy douche. While, we're at it, truck says redneck, and van says sex creep. Don't do that to yourself. Drive what you like.

Exactly my point. I've parked my BMW like that because there was no other way to guarantee I had room to open my door. If it was a van with HP plates parked like that, you'd be like, "Oh, ok. The guy's got a reason" But a BMW and it's like "What an ass."
    Youre absolutely right, if it was a van I?d give you the benefit of the doubt. I?d assume you must have a lift or a ramp. But I could have used EITHER of those spaces to load and unload my wheelchair (4 feet between space and walk on one side, and another three foot area hashmarked and protected on the far side of the other space because of a support pillar). If I had room to get out of my two door Honda he had plenty of room to do whatever he needed to in his four door sedan.

I guess I?ll have to eat my works if he has some crazy contraption where a mechanical arm unfolds from the trunk and swings around to the drivers side and requires eight feet of clearance, but this dude definitely did not have a ramp or a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    my two door Honda .
    Which one you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Which one you have?
    Accord because I'm fancy... and didn't think my wheelchair would fit easily in the civic.

Accord because I'm fancy... and didn't think my wheelchair would fit easily in the civic.
    Do tell...what year? Give pics of how the hand controls are. Show and tell time!

Civic...I tried one out the other day, I didn't fit in it, lol. No headroom at all unless you gave it the ghetto recline. Was thinking of one as it would be cheaper to complete my replacing the winter beast project, shame I don't fit. So looks like I'll get a '15-ish V6 Accord, I know I fit in those good. Got 2 in mind to look at next week when I have time. Really think I'm losing my mind spending that much for a beater, but I really hate what I have now (Crown Vic), and might as well get something decent

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Do tell...what year? Give pics of how the hand controls are. Show and tell time!

Civic...I tried one out the other day, I didn't fit in it, lol. No headroom at all unless you gave it the ghetto recline. Was thinking of one as it would be cheaper to complete my replacing the winter beast project, shame I don't fit. So looks like I'll get a '15-ish V6 Accord, I know I fit in those good. Got 2 in mind to look at next week when I have time. Really think I'm losing my mind spending that much for a beater, but I really hate what I have now (Crown Vic), and might as well get something decent
    I don't have pictures, but I've got a 16 Accord LE in blue because all the other colors are boring. 4 cylinder with automatic (which equals CVT) transmission. CVT it weird, I kinda dig it, but if you're a purist the lack of shifting even what mild shifting you get in an automatic, is gonna be weird. Overall it's just okay, which is what I expected and exactly what I wanted. Despite my aspirations to cars associated with the douchebaggery being discussed above, I'm not much into four wheeled contraptions. The stereo connects to your phone (android or iphone) which I already take for granted and could probably never do without now. I'm 6'0" (in theory before my back started shattering and scoliosing and whatnot) and I've got plenty of room to swing a TiLite over top of me and have only scratched the side of the car twice with it so far. A pair of 26" wheels don't quite fit into the foot area of the front passenger seat which is annoying to me, but I just toss them in the back seat. I can also throw my wheelchair in the back (13" wide ZR) along with the wheels if I have a passenger up front. The center console isn't terribly delicate, but I managed to rip a hole in the slightly rubberized faux leatherish material the very first week I had the car. It gets decent gas mileage if you drive it right (green energy button which lowers the max rpms, drive mode instead of sport mode which keeps transmission "geared" lower), I do mostly very short drives in the city mixed up with couple hundred mile trips back home to see my friends every month or so and average around 33 mpg. Push button start is convenient, but I don't know if all the models come with this. It's nice because I just stuffed the key in a bag on the front of my chair and I've touched the key like three times since I've owned the car, if the key is within 3 feet of the car and you grab the handle it automatically unlocks, once the key is physically inside the vehicle you can push the button and it will start up. The only mildly annoying thing about keeping the key on the wheelchair is I have to lug the wheelchair into the car before I can start it up, which really sucks on super hot days when the inside is like 160 degrees and I have to throw the wheels in first, then the chair before I can get some AC going. Trunk is plenty big enough for my chair and a bunch of other crap (did a road trip for several weeks with it and brought along a ton of camping gear and whatnot, also slept in the back seat several days on this camping trip, but I don't advise that... it was quite uncomfortable).

hand control wise, I'm unreasonably attached to a pair of AZ-1 portable hand controls, so that's all I've ever put on it. I probably could have gotten the dealership to give me some free "permanent" hand controls? (I heard many of them do that) but I didn't really want them. I like what I'm used to, and if I drive to the airport I always have these on me so I can toss them in my bag and not have to deal with whatever junker the rental car company happens to have hand controls on (if they have any at all).

The fabric seats are okay, I don't use a cushion for most drives and my ass hasn't worn out yet.

This car is a good 15 years newer than the newest car I've ever owned previously, so maybe it's just my ignorance, but there are some weird things, like sometimes when I bring it to the dealer for an oil change (they hoodwinked me into prepaying for a bunch) they tell me they have to update the software (which they do for free), I guess the last one they said was to change the shift point or something. That's well beyond my comfort zone with mechanical know-how and makes me uneasy, but what can you do? Anything newish is gonna be like that I guess, until the cars start driving themselves...

The only mildly annoying thing about the car is that it idles kind of rough. If you're paying attention and don't have the bass cranked super high you can feel a slight shimmy at a stoplight which goes away if you shift from drive to neutral... weird... and annoying... but probably not a big deal.

I've only got 40,000 miles or so, but it hasn't needed anything yet (except a software update I guess and an oil change). I'm happy with it and hope to keep it for another ten years unless I can't overcome my aspirations to waste money on a more expensive car for no reason... or the economy slumps and prices on classic cars go down and I can find myself a 1961 Impala convertible for a reasonable price.

Hope that helps... sorry for the extremely off topic hijacking...

That's no hijacking at all, very informative, thanks! 33mpg...wow, that is good. I'm used to like, 15, lol. I was thinking saving about 2K and go with a 4 banger, but watching youtube videos about the cvt just didn't make it my cup of tea. I kind of like actual gears. And the V6 is a bunch quicker too, I figure if I'm going to blow too much money, might as make it something I like.

You have a real nice one with the refreshed styling '16. I'd love to get one, but don't want spend for that, they haven't depreciated into my price range yet. One thing I really liked about the EX-L I looked at so far was the memory seats. It would be cool to have a 'driving' and 'wheelchair loading' seat positions at a touch of a button. Didn't like that particular one though, so still shopping.

And you are right about that blue, best color of them all. I'd love to get one, all the ones around here are black or silver

Youre absolutely right, if it was a van I?d give you the benefit of the doubt. I?d assume you must have a lift or a ramp. But I could have used EITHER of those spaces to load and unload my wheelchair (4 feet between space and walk on one side, and another three foot area hashmarked and protected on the far side of the other space because of a support pillar). If I had room to get out of my two door Honda he had plenty of room to do whatever he needed to in his four door sedan.

I guess I?ll have to eat my works if he has some crazy contraption where a mechanical arm unfolds from the trunk and swings around to the drivers side and requires eight feet of clearance, but this dude definitely did not have a ramp or a lift.
    Q: What do cowboy hats and hemeroids have in common?

A: Sooner or later, every asshole gets one.

That may be true but still unfair. Because there are plenty good people in cowboy hats.