Thread: Supra Pubic Hypergranulation (also known as proud flesh and overgraulation)

Supra Pubic Hypergranulation (also known as proud flesh and overgraulation)

Lately, I have experienced a few times when I notice a tiny hypergranulation forming between the catheter and the edge of my supra pubic stoma. It is about the size of the head of a sewing pin with a small ball on top, just a small nodule of red, shiny flesh. I have researched the problem and had read that the "proud flesh" can be surgically removed, cauterized, and "burned" with silver nitrate sticks. I was looking for a home remedy and found a reference to using regular table salt.

Unfortunately, I can not find the article that suggested table salt. It has been several months ago, that I read it. I kept the idea in the back of my mind, in case another hypergranulation occurred. Yesterday day morning, NL noticed this small spot and we decided to try table salt. She moisten the area, and sprinkled an ever so small amount of salt on the spot. She dressed me as normal. Last night, she reapplied a small amount of salt. This morning, the spot of hypergranulation was GONE!

There was a slight bit of encrusted lymph, but the the red, glossy growth was not there. I'm pretty amazed. I understand that this problem can be brought about, by irritation from the catheter, so we are upping our game to secure the catheter to help prevent recurrence. But, seems I have found a fast, painless, inexpensive way to deal with this type of growth, in its early stages.

This is just a report on my one experiment. It is not a recommendation for use of this treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Lately, I have experienced a few times when I notice a tiny hypergranulation forming between the catheter and the edge of my supra pubic stoma. It is about the size of the head of a sewing pin with a small ball on top, just a small nodule of red, shiny flesh. I have researched the problem and had read that the "proud flesh" can be surgically removed, cauterized, and "burned" with silver nitrate sticks. I was looking for a home remedy and found a reference to using regular table salt.

Unfortunately, I can not find the article that suggested table salt. It has been several months ago, that I read it. I kept the idea in the back of my mind, in case another hypergranulation occurred. Yesterday day morning, NL noticed this small spot and we decided to try table salt. She moisten the area, and sprinkled an ever so small amount of salt on the spot. She dressed me as normal. Last night, she reapplied a small amount of salt. This morning, the spot of hypergranulation was GONE!

There was a slight bit of encrusted lymph, but the the red, glossy growth was not there. I'm pretty amazed. I understand that this problem can be brought about, by irritation from the catheter, so we are upping our game to secure the catheter to help prevent recurrence. But, seems I have found a fast, painless, inexpensive way to deal with this type of growth, in its early stages.

This is just a report on my one experiment. It is not a recommendation for use of this treatment.
    Have you tried StatLock? It secures the catheter to your leg so it doesn't pull. That's very interesting about using salt around the stoma.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting about the salt!

otherwise I would have suggested a steroidal cream to the hypergranulation

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yes, I've tried Statlock and similar devices, but my skin is extremely sensitive to adhesives (even using skin prep) and blisters in the shape of these devices. I can use paper tapes, but not in the same place everyday. Securing the catheter has been a challenge for me since day one.

I will continue to search for the article that suggested salt.
    Last edited by gjnl; 06-27-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Using salt on hypergranulation tissue:

Treatment for hypergranulation at gastrostomy sites with sprinkling salt in paediatric patients
    U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institute of Health
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23299353

Yes, I've tried Statlock and similar devices, but my skin is extremely sensitive to adhesives (even using skin prep) and blisters in the shape of these devices. I can use paper tapes, but not in the same place everyday. Securing the catheter has been a challenge for me since day one.

I will continue to search for the article that suggested salt.
    That sucks! What about this? https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...er-holder.html

Thanks for posting that reference gjnl
    pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Thanks "Hacknsack44," I've tried those too. The Dale leg strap either rotates on my thigh or slides down, creating tension on the catheter. Wearing the strap fastened tightly enough to prevent this causes skin marking and/or welting. My skin is very sensitive to rubbing or scratching, a condition known as dermatographia.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks "Hacknsack44," I've tried those too. The Dale leg strap either rotates on my thigh or slides down, creating tension on the catheter. Wearing the strap fastened tightly enough to prevent this causes skin marking and/or welting. My skin is very sensitive to rubbing or scratching, a condition known as dermatographia.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    No problem. Hopefully you will find something that works.