Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video on the demise of WheelchairJunkie.com

Video on the demise of WheelchairJunkie.com

Mark Smith just posted a video explaining why he took down WheelchairJunkie.com, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OTCyqW3m9U . I miss that site actually and although there are other powerchair sites, I thought it was uniquely helpful in ways the other sites I've looked at aren't. That said, it's certainly an incredible amount of work to run a message board site nowadays.

(For newer members, WheelchairJunkie.com was the most popular site for discussing power wheelchairs and had been moderated by Mark Smith for many years. He shut it down last year.)

When someone tells me to understand we have to go back to the beginning I automatically think this person likes to hear themselves talk. So I stopped the video at that point. If anyone listens to the whole 12 minutes please give me the short answer if there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    When someone tells me to understand we have to go back to the beginning I automatically think this person likes to hear themselves talk. So I stopped the video at that point. If anyone listens to the whole 12 minutes please give me the short answer if there is one.
    Essentially, he said that he was spending way too much time moderating the fighting between participants on the site, and there were many more posts with personal attacks, etc. that those about power wheelchairs. Sort of the same thing we are dealing with now on CC with the political issues driving away members...

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I know I sure miss WCJ. It was first site I ever joined on internet. Members and Mr. Smith meant alot to both Mama and I and miss checking in on what/how other members were doing everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Essentially, he said that he was spending way too much time moderating the fighting between participants on the site, and there were many more posts with personal attacks, etc. that those about power wheelchairs. Sort of the same thing we are dealing with now on CC with the political issues driving away members...

(KLD)
    If the toxic politix could be eliminated, I would find more serenity. Therefore, it would please me to see that aspect and the characters who contribute to the toxicity, not have a placed to "play"
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

The Politics forum is probably the least essential and relevant of the many less-than-relevant forums on CC. If it were restricted to political matters relating to disabled rights and advocacy it might have some value. As is, its continued presence here is an anachronism -- a throwback to a quaint, long-ago time on the internet before the proliferation of social media and endless outlets for people to fling their bile. The Politics forum reeks like skunk odor and its continued existence serves only to turn off and drive away people who could really benefit from what makes (or made) CC unique.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    Mark Smith would be a rather unlikely person to rally behind. Lots of weirdness going on with that guy, even beyond wheelchair stuff (look up his airline incident). Search for Mark on this site also...some less flattering discussion about his antics

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The Politics forum is probably the least essential and relevant of the many less-than-relevant forums on CC. If it were restricted to political matters relating to disabled rights and advocacy it might have some value. As is, its continued presence here is an anachronism -- a throwback to a quaint, long-ago time on the internet before the proliferation of social media and endless outlets for people to fling their bile. The Politics forum reeks like skunk odor and its continued existence serves only to turn off and drive away people who could really benefit from what makes (or made) CC unique.
    I take it you are not very fond of that particular corner of the internet then? You are giving it way too much credit for this site not living up to your standards however. I find the doom professed in the Cure and Sex and Life and many other subforums here rather repelling. Yet I merrily visit the Politics forum, while not calling for the silencing of people frequenting the forums I am not fond of. You should try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    [/URL]

I take it you are not very fond of that particular corner of the internet then? You are giving it way too much credit for this site not living up to your standards however. I find the doom professed in the Cure and Sex and Life and many other subforums here rather repelling. Yet I merrily visit the Politics forum, while not calling for the silencing of people frequenting the forums I am not fond of. You should try it!

The Cure, Sex and Life have to do living with SCI. A possible reason you don't go on those sites is because they wouldn't take the non humorous rants you throw out in the Politics Section. The Politics section is a reason, whether you like it or not, many have stopped coming to or in the least, are reluctant to recommend others to join CC to search out information. It's gotten to the point of disgust and embarrassment by the attitudes and language used towards others in the Politics section.

I'm sure you'll say don't go there. I rarely do. It used to be to hear opinions from both sides. Now it's gotten to the point of just going there to see how low some people can go in treating others because of their views.

Other Politics Forums don't have a section for SCI that I know of. Why does a forum dedicated to SCI and it's related issues have a Politics section that has nothing to SCI and has a reputation for being a foul place to visit if you want to join in the conversation. The reason there is one is because of people like Jim who approached Dr. Wise to start one up and it will be people's behavior in there now that'll likely shut it down.

I sure don't understand the continued harassment of Jim. He's just trying to keep the forum running in a managable manner. I'm concerned Dr. Wise may shut the whole thing down because of a few here who can't treat a place they obviously value, with respect. Now I'll sit back with a bag of popcorn and watch these very people flame me for my views.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 06-26-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    The Cure, Sex and Life have to do living with SCI. A possible reason you don't go on those sites is because they wouldn't take the non humorous rants you throw out in the Politics Section. The Politics section is a reason, whether you like it or not, many have stopped coming to or in the least, are reluctant to recommend others to join CC to search out information. It's gotten to the point of disgust and embarrassment by the attitudes and language used towards others in the Politics section.

I'm sure you'll say don't go there. I rarely do. It used to be to hear opinions from both sides. Now it's gotten to the point of just going there to see how low some people can go in treating others because of their views.

Other Politics Forums don't have a section for SCI that I know of. Why does a forum dedicated to SCI and it's related issues have a Politics section that has nothing to SCI and has a reputation for being a foul place to visit if you want to join.

I sure don't understand the continued harassment of Jim. He's just trying to keep the forum running in a managable manner. I'm concerned Dr. Wise may shut the whole thing down because of a few here who can't treat a place they obviously value, with respect. Now I'll sit back with a bag of popcorn and watch these very people flame me for my views.
    Man, quite the doom. I'll bet if Lynnifer didn't get the Failbook crowd riled up about this site we'd be business as usual. Not sure why people over there have such an interest over here, but it is what it is. And my non-humorous rants? Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I suggest you actually participate over there and maybe you will find that the non-humorous ranting is being done by those not in support of Our President. And I am not part of that category.

Well, this nonsense has no place in the Equipment forum, but I guess those fond of the Maxine Waters methodology of political discourse decided to drag it here. I'll get off my soapbox replying to this stuff

Man, I just don't get it. What's the big deal if you don't like what you see in the politics forum just don't visit it?