Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Figuring Out Wheelchair Tires and Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by CCryancham View Post
    Just the rim itself is 24 7/8".
    Not that it helps, but that’s the size of our rims too. Can’t believe there are no markings on the tyres though....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I measured my quickie 27" rims just like you did here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QNi...VBxZXvHl2/view

and I got 24 15/16" with the inflated non-marking tires I get 26 7/8".

Thanks so much everyone for your help. After looking at the Sheldon Brown site provided by chasmengr earlier in the thread, I'm about 95% sure that what I have is 700C Rims (25-622). Using the measuring methods on that site I'm coming within 1.5 mm of 622 for the bead seat diameter. So, I feel like that is in the margin of error. Searching around, 700C seems to be a very common road bike rim size with lots of tire choices. The rims do have holes for tube valve stems, so I think we have the option of going the pneumatic route. At this point I'm probably leaning that way, even though the original stander came with the solid tires.

Still have to wonder why in the world they would somehow heat treat 24" solid SHOX tires (25-540) to fit them on a much larger rim. That is totally bizarre.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    700C is what the wheelchair world calls 27". ERTRO 622.

Quote Originally Posted by CCryancham View Post
    Thanks so much everyone for your help. After looking at the Sheldon Brown site provided by chasmengr earlier in the thread, I'm about 95% sure that what I have is 700C Rims (25-622). Using the measuring methods on that site I'm coming within 1.5 mm of 622 for the bead seat diameter. So, I feel like that is in the margin of error. Searching around, 700C seems to be a very common road bike rim size with lots of tire choices. The rims do have holes for tube valve stems, so I think we have the option of going the pneumatic route. At this point I'm probably leaning that way, even though the original stander came with the solid tires.

Still have to wonder why in the world they would somehow heat treat 24" solid SHOX tires (25-540) to fit them on a much larger rim. That is totally bizarre.