Thread: Neuropathic pain! How to deal? What to take?

Neuropathic pain! How to deal? What to take?

Hello friends,

I am a quad sequard syndrome, I have been experiencing Neuropathic pain lately on regular basis. Almost every day. What is strange is that it didn't happen to me before. I am 12 years past injury and it only started the last couple of months. The reality is that even though people say you can progress with your injury and get better with time its not always true. Apparently, your nerves can deteriorate and in my case, at the age of 32, the situation got a lot worse. Chronic pain has such devastating impact on quality of life and my ability to work. The strange part is that I have days when it's completely gone and no a problem. But there are also days like today when I feel pain in half of my body. Burning sensation like im on fire. I don't understand and I doubt anyone can tell me why this is happening. But, perhaps you guys can give me advice on how to deal with it. I don't take any meds at the moment whatsoever. I have been mostly dealing with pain but smoking marihuana and it helps if i smoke up and basically don't move much. Then and only then the pain stops. But it also impairs my cognition which interferes with my productivity.

That is why I need a better solution. If that even exists. Any suggestions? Any advice very appreciated. Thanks.

I assume you mean Brown-Sequard syndrome in the cervical area?

Have you been evaluated for a possible syrinx (syringomyelia)? This can cause increased or new neuropathic pain.

Have you tried other forms of medical marijuana such as CBD oil?

Have you been tried on gabapentin (Neurontin) or pregabalin (Lyrica) or carbamazepine (Tegretol)?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Hello, thank you for your response. Yes, I am C4/C5 Brown-Sequard. I have not been evaluated. I did not consider that could be the case. I tried CBD oil but it did not have the same effect on pain. I have not tried any other medication. Neither am I taking any other meds. I have been lucky that I did not have to. That is why I am asking here on the forum. I value personal experience and I want to learn from the community.

I am a bit concerned now that you brought syrinx to mine attention. I hope that is not the case. That is terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by BSgimp View Post
    I am a bit concerned now that you brought syrinx to mine attention. I hope that is not the case. That is terrifying.
    Not posted to scare, but to encourage you to pursue possible causes of your new/worse neuropathic pain with your provider.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have peripheral neuropathy on my right arm from my elbow down to my fingertips. I tried Neurontin and Lyrica but they both had side effects that were undesirable. I have been on tramadol for about two years now and it takes the burning pain away but I do find that I have a little trouble with my memory. I just don't seem as mentally sharp and quick as I used to be before tramadol but at least it takes the pain away.

I am also C2-C5 Brown-Sequard syndrome. The burning feeling started about 1-2 months later after the accident. I would get that weird hot and cold and burning sensation on my left side neck down all the way. I would wear half a jacket and sweat pants. But I cut the right side of the sweat pants because I would sweat from that side. So basically I was cold ad had a burning sensation vertically on the left side and sweat on the right side. I covered my arm with towel when I was sleeping. However, whenever I exercised or active, I did not feel it that much. Then you get tired and sit and then it would start all over again. The doctors could not help me as they pretty much said there is not much they can do except put me on Lyrica but I did not want it. As time went by it got less and less as I became more active and kept doing the exercises. I still have burning cold sensation on my left side but it is very light and the sweating on my right side also gone.

I don't know if this helps you because you are saying it started after 12 years after the accident. Mine started 1-2 months after the accident and it took about a year to subside.

just 2mg diazepam do wonders for my burning legs
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

I'm taking 60mg duloxetine every day for my back pain. And it is working well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by angelarfabela View Post
    I'm taking 60mg duloxetine every day for my back pain. And it is working well for me.
    Since your profile says you do not have a SCI/D, do you actually have neuropathic pain, or is your pain musculoskeletal?

Duloxetine (Cymbalta) is a selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) antidepressant used for treating depression, anxiety disorder, and pain. It helps a few people with neuropathic pain.

(KLD)