Thread: Colonoscopy through the stoma question

Colonoscopy through the stoma question

Hi. I have a sigmoid colostomy. I?m scheduled to have a colonoscopy done in a few days. Has anyone here had one done through the stoma. Will my stoma be ok? For some reason I feel like my stoma will sink in when they stick the scope in. Do they remove the skin barrier before the procedure? Any input from anybody would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Hi Julian, I've had several colonoscopies with a SL. They go thru the back end and check from there and then go thru the stoma. Never a problem with any of them. Relax, we've got the easiest type of colostomy to manage and the examination is no big deal at all.

They don't take off the appliance itself, just the bag. I always have an extra with me to give them. Good luck.

With modern flexible colonoscopy instruments, it is easy to have your colonoscopy done through the stoma. If you have a residual rectum/sigmoid colon, that should also be scoped as those areas also should be screened for potential cancer or pre-cancerous lesions.

You will need to remove your entire appliance, including the faceplate for the procedure, so it is a good idea to take a new faceplate and bag with you so you can reapply it in the recovery area, although with the bowel clean-out required for the procedure you are unlikely to pass any more stool until well after you get home.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Have you ever considered cologuard? My understanding is that the test is now considered very accurate if you're concerned about a colonoscopy for whatever reason.

Cologuard may not reveal the presence of possible pre-cancerous lesions such as polyps, unless they are bleeding. The gold standard for bowel cancer screening is a scope exam.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I go on Wednesday for the colonoscopy. We did an enema through the rectum and we got out like 4 balls of hard puddy. One of them was rather large and really hard. Plus there was a little bleeding in the rectum. Not sure if it is from hemorrhoids in the rectum. Should I be worried about puddy balls or is it normal? Thanks