Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RENETX Update

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Indeed, throughout the US, basic research has slowed to a crawl as a result of the current government, particularly the Executive. People don't realize how much our scientific community relies on both basic research coming out of government labs, but also both regulatory (FDA, EPA, etc) and financial (SBIR, BAA, etc.) dependence.

What most people don't realize is that corporations don't do basic research (the stuff that comes way before animal trials etc.); this part of the research pipeline is very high risk (maybe 1% success rate) so doing it gets boards of directors sued by their shareholders. Basic research is largely government funded and conducted at universities, national laboratories (this are run by private companies but funded by the Federal gov't), and government labs.

If you ever want to see a cure for SCI, best to support the scientific community. Just a thought.
    That's the fact. Success has to first come from the science and research being done at the bench. If that hasn't been accomplished, there's no need to worry about patents, licensing, lobbyists, corporations, insurance or mountain of other moot points.

Any updates on when the clinical trials will be starting?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    Any updates on when the clinical trials will be starting?
    They say to send a message and they will respond to it. LINK

There should be a press release coming out about it at the end of this month.

Ok, so this companies research IS aimed at CHRONIC sci..............right? NervGen, the one I was so excited about, turned out to be for acutes.

Grammy, there's lots to read on the Renetx site. What's your take on this companies research? Is the science something to be hopeful about or just another hail mary research shot?
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    Ok, so this companies research IS aimed at CHRONIC sci..............right? NervGen, the one I was so excited about, turned out to be for acutes.

Grammy, there's lots to read on the Renetx site. What's your take on this companies research? Is the science something to be hopeful about or just another hail mary research shot?
    Here's a couple posts from a thread that explains the chronic rat study results and puts it in perspective. To be honest, I'm not sure why this is going to human trial given the results of the chronic rat study. I guess my fingers are crossed on this one? A rat BBB of 8.65 isn't anything and it only went up one point in the treated animal. Usually a study must get them above at least a 12 to get serious attention from someone at the bench. Anything in the teens start getting people excited. Maybe these two guys that know the research I quoted will chime in here... They may have a more optimistic outlook on it.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1871178

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1871404

It's great that people are holding the results to account, and more importantly with reference to the facts provided.

It gave me concern when I focused on the points raised, so I asked WfL about the increase of less than 1 on the BBB score and was told the following:

The peer reviewed publications (i.e. that underwent rigorous review to allow publication) show that NoGo Trap treated animals were significantly better for BBB scores and weight-bearing (vs controls) and at least 30% of those recovering walking ability with weight-bearing (vs 5% in controls). Remember that BBB alone does not translate to human walking as BBB can also represent other motor activity such as spasticity. There are also other findings in the treated rats and I think that it would be best for you to speak with Steve Strittmatter directly. Suffice it to say that this body of work has undergone rigorous peer review at multiple points of its evolution including at the WfL level in the decision to fund. Another very important factor in the decision to fund is that this body of work shows neuroprotection and neural regeneration in the chronic model. All other translatable work at this point is directed to the acute model.
    I read that to think there is more than that the BBB score that is important, but also there is work done that is not in the published paper.

I know from speaking with Steve Strittmatter earlier that the improvements are dependant on the sparing in the cord, and would be enhanced with the use of Chase or similar. So it might be that this will always be most useful as part of combination strategy.

If there are specific questions we want answering then post them here or let me know and I'll get answers from Steve Strittmatter.

Yes, Zhao et al. showed that the combo of Ch'ase, rehab and anti-Nogo-A treatment increased the degree of axon sprouting and regeneration better than either treatment acting alone.

One can transplant adult sensory nerve cells into a sea of no-go and watch the nerve fiber axons taking off. However, once they get to the lesion site and encounter the proteoglycans they get stuck and cannot move forward. (Davies et al. 1999) Hence, the need for Ch'ase or a receptor to deal with the stickiness of CSPG.

https://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltext...273(10)00424-1

https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/...rev.00017.2017
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 05-11-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: forgot to add the information link