Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Choice Between Quantum Edge and Quickie QM 710

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Glad to here you ordered your new chair. Now it's like waiting for Christmas to get here! If I get a new new power chair I'll be paying for it myself. So I've been on quickie-wheelchairs.com checking out the QM-710 and if I spec out the chair myself, I can get what I want (base model no tilt or rising seat or custom seat/backrest) with a set of MK Group 24 batteries for @ $6,000.00. I wouldn't mind going through my DME provider because there are a couple of things I'm not 100% sure of plus I could test drive the chair. If you don't mind saying, how much will your provider be charging? No problem if you don't want to talk about the price.
    Thanks, Wes. I didn't catch the full price but with it being Canadian prices and going through the list, just off hand, probably around $15,000.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    NorthQuad, Congratulations on new chair! Hope it works out for you.
    Like posted earlier I've never seen a Quickie. So, interested in how it all turns out for you, especially the armrest height and footplate problem.
    "Good Luck!"
    Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I'll get it all figured out for sure. I told him those few things were a must before I would accept it, so it'll get done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Congrats on the new chair coming up. Your DME was pushing Quickie because Quickie gives the dealer a bigger discount hence he gets more profit.
    Thanks, Patrick. It's possible but I've been in a Quantum since 2009 and I can tell you from experience, the customer service and part quality has been going downhill over the years. Even the plastic parts have become thinner lower grade and the newest models are known to be built for more indoor use than anything. Even runtime is suffering. Motors becoming cheap. Joysticks lasting a year. So if anything, I'm going to guess that a higher quality chair means less money to be made in repairs and parts for the dealer. Plus, Quickie is bigger in Canada and parts take a week rather than over a month. It's just overall a better option.
    Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Not a Quickie fan and sounds like he had his mine made and it was never a real question of Pride but never tried other chairs it sounds like so one will never really know without comparisons.
    But how would you know commission paid and what the profit margin in of one manufacture to the other and regional territories?
    Yeah, my mind was made for sure. After info from people here and online elsewhere including youtube comparisons and reviews I had all the info I needed. Just looking at the Quickie, I can see they thought through design a little more carefully and use materials like billet aluminum and higher quality parts and structure where Quantum chose to go a cheaper, easier, poorer design approach. Quantum Pride definitely put the lipstick on it though. But doesn't hide what's underneath.

But yeah, I'm doubtful about commission being a factor. I pick-up on sketchy easy. This guy is far from it. Plus, this is going through government funding and they have people that watch that type of thing like hawks. To the point where if any of that type of shady business is caught, the government removes them entirely from the vendors list.

Now I wait to see if provincial government approves everything on the list.

Thanks, all!

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Not a Quickie fan and sounds like he had his mine made and it was never a real question of Pride but never tried other chairs it sounds like so one will never really know without comparisons.

But how would you know commission paid and what the profit margin in of one manufacture to the other and regional territories?
    I've dealt with Canadian reps all my 45 years of SCI. I remember when Marilyn first made her first chair as Motion Designs as well as Jim Martinson working out of his garage making chairs. The reps in North Quads area are some of my best friends from the sports days. I don't know exact dollar figures but I do know Quickie gives the reps a bigger discount than most other man to push their products. Not saying anything is wrong with that.

Not sure how involved you are with wheelchairs and the history of the manufacturers. Quickie has had good and bad quality cycles depending on who owned the company. From NQ's assessment; it sounds like they're back on track.

Pride has been a company I've been very leery of. And their build quality went from decent to horrid gradually. And they've had a track record of poor customer service, and abysmal reliability. In my era of power chair use, the two Quickies I had were reliable, and solid chairs, I had the old P 300 and the S 626, both great chairs. Customer service and dealer service was good in that era, and I'd still consider a Quickie power chair if I were to use one again. Or get a Permobil power chair. When Marilyn Hamilton owned Quickie, their chairs were well built, solid, and reliable. And Marilyn bent over backwards to see Quickie users were happy. In those days, If my chair had a problem, it was her problem until made right and reliable.

Thanks, Kent. A QM-710 has been ordered. Hopefully it'll be here in just a couple more weeks.

Hope your chair comes soon. After using it for a while let us know what you think of it. I'm still considering buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Hope your chair comes soon. After using it for a while let us know what you think of it. I'm still considering buying one.
    Will do.