Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Help!

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Good LAWD auto! Lol I will try and give it a shot. Thank y?all!
    Sorry, that's the problem with trying to do something without a tool designed for that purpose. I don't like adding tools unless I really need them (to avoid the inevitable: "You need to reinstall windows" problem that seems to come when a machine gets too cluttered).

OTOH, this sort of "ability" can be helpful in other places where you want to alter something in a way that isn't directly supported by the tools you have at hand. E.g., you could manually place individual letters along a curve if you so desired, like creating a fancy logo (something that fancier tools will do automatically).

(If you intend on doing this often, then a better tool is advised)

I have to fill out a lot of forms for the farming operation so I was trying to find a way to put it on the computer to fill out. So I wouldn’t have to get others to fill it in.

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    I have to fill out a lot of forms for the farming operation so I was trying to find a way to put it on the computer to fill out. So I wouldn?t have to get others to fill it in.
    Are the forms repeated periodically? Or, do you only encounter a particular form once?

E.g., a timesheet would be the sort of form that you keep reusing -- but filled in with different data each week.

OTOH, a will is the sort of form you'd typically only fill out once (or twice?).

If you are revisiting the same forms over and over again, it may be prudent to get a tool that will let you add "fields" to an existing "graphic" (i.e., scanned image of the form). Once the fields have been defined and positioned (e.g., drawing the outlines of boxes on the page where the information will be typed), you can save the "blank form". Then, each time you need to fill out a copy of that form, you'd click in each field, one at a time, and type in the pertinent information. Save the result (under a different name from the "blank" form) and/or print a copy of it "filled in".

I use Adobe Acrobat for this purpose ($$) but I think there are free tools that operate similarly (Foxit Reader?).

In my case, I usually have the "form" (image) on my computer -- typically something I've typed up in FrameMaker (a tool similar to MSWord). When I'm done with the basic form, I "print" it to a "PDF Printer" -- a program that automatically makes a PDF out of whatever gets sent to it. Then, I open that PDF in Acrobat and manually add in the fields.

I'll be doing that, this week, to make an inventory form for a DME lending library, here. I have to create the form, then make it usable ("fillable").

If you are handling lots of different forms -- never the same form twice -- then what you really want is just to be able to type text OVER an image. Unlike the ad hoc method I mentioned up-thread (hard to erase and replace and reposition text), you'd want the text to be treated as existing on a different "layer" above the scanned image. In that way, it doesn't become part of the image until printed on paper.

Windows 10 is the worse piece of crap ever so far. I won't even use it. Its that bad. Windows 7 works great so does my windows 8.1. But windows 10 is nothing but a nightmare to say the lease. Widows 10 may work better if you have a high speed connection. But were I live lucky you get 2 mg. Downloads when you want to use it....then you can't use it while it updates which is at least 4 hours at a time. Wish I could update when I wanted like all the other rather than this windows 10 crap.
    Art

A little late to the party, but later versions of Adobe Reader (Version 11 and above) allows you to type on a document and save the changes.

On the toolbar, select Tools and on the next screen, select Fill & Sign. Once clicked, your document will be displayed and your mouse pointer will appear as '|Ab'.
    When you click your mouse, it will open a text box where you clicked where you can type your text - this works on scanned document too. When you are done, save your document as usual.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    T4 complete since 30 April 2012

Automation is right. The scan you did is a picture that you are trying to use in a text editor. You need to do what is called an OCR conversion to change that image into an accessible PDF file or simply mark it the image. You can try the process Automation posted or just use Adobe Acrobat....you probably already have it installed. Here's an old-ish video on how to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DbnQ4CLPgo

If you have an iPhone you can take a picture of the hard copy and mark it up right on your phone.

Ok thanks everybody! I will try it again this afternoon and see if it will work. Oh and auto it is all different stuff I have to fill out. Not the same. Wish it was. I have to fill out 100’s of different stuff from government forms to bank and crop services type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    Windows 10 is the worse piece of crap ever so far. I won't even use it. Its that bad. Windows 7 works great so does my windows 8.1. But windows 10 is nothing but a nightmare to say the lease. Widows 10 may work better if you have a high speed connection. But were I live lucky you get 2 mg. Downloads when you want to use it....then you can't use it while it updates which is at least 4 hours at a time. Wish I could update when I wanted like all the other rather than this windows 10 crap.
    You might try WSUS Offline Update (http://download.wsusoffline.net/). It uses information from MS to determine the updates that would be applicable to you, downloads them from MS and stores them on a disk (or a DVD, etc.). At some later time, you tell it to install them for you.

I used to use this with XP but now run 7even on all of my machines ("No, thank you" for 10!). None of my machines (save this one) are connected to The Internet so its simply not practical to do updates any other way. (and, I wouldn't want every machine to have to download its own "copy" of every update!) This lets me update individual machines as I have time without connecting them to the outside world.

Note that as I don't run 10, I can't comment on how well the process works, there!

(For 7even, I only apply the monthly rollups. But, again, as my machines aren't exposed to "outside threats", I can safely skip most of the "security updates")

Quote Originally Posted by TheVillageIdiot View Post
    A little late to the party, but later versions of Adobe Reader (Version 11 and above) allows you to type on a document and save the changes.
    Does Reader save the text as individual "objects" on a different "layer" above the image?

For example, if you "type whatever you want", and then go somewhere else and "type something else", can you THEN go back and "edit' the "typed whatever you want" to say "type something you need"? Likewise, can you drag the typed text around the page after you've "gone somewhere else"?

(I.e., does the text become part of the image after you "go somewhere else" to do something else? Or, does it retain its independence?)

Acrobat "behaves" so I would hope that Reader does as well (Reader is free but Acrobat costs)

I found the fix for windows 10 update. You can turn it off and it works. Computer works much better now thank god. If you want to update it you can turn it back on. It would update every 3 days and took forever. My cell phone has updates every night. Am so tired of updates on android. Seems like facebook and messenger once a week would be good but every other day with that crap is driving me crazy then I got to move the app after to storage. Why cant it just save it to storage once you do it then all the downloads could go there to. But ohhh no that be to dam simple. When you add up puter,cell phone tablet its gets to be a real pain in the azz. Sorry for the vent but my shoulders have been killing me as of late and simple things piss me off. Pain can do that I guess. Shoulder been hurting for 5 years now and getting worse. Doc said he would not touch my shoulder with a 10 foot pole since I got full movement. Between my shoulder and my back now my elbows even. Daytime is the worse. Sometimes everything hurts then just some parts then from 1 shoulder to the other in no time. Its like a bouncing ball you never no were it will stop and hurt like hell then move on to another spot. Don't know what the next day will bring so you cant plan a dam thing. Doc says its tendonitis and some arthritis. Sure is getting on my last nerve and I take medicine for it but it does not seem to work sometimes. Wish I just go asleep and never wake up would be fine by me. Sorry folks I just needed to vent for what good its gonna do me.
    Art