Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Help!

Windows Help!

Please help save the life of a new HP desktop. I need some help trying to figure out how to type on a PDF file. I cant write so I wanted to type on the computer. Scanned the form and sent it as a PDF to the computer. Wont let me type on it. Why? How do I fix it?

Others are better at this than me, but I think .pdf files are locked. Try sending as .txt or another.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Do you have Word?
    If so right-click on the file and open with Word.

If not then install internet explorer 11 and Adobe Acrobat reader then right-click and open with internet explorer
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I have word and tried that. It wouldnt allow me to type on it still. And the format was all jacked up too. I couldnt tell what line with what question. I will try and download Acrobat. Thanks mize!

I will try as a txt nonoise. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    I have word and tried that. It wouldnt allow me to type on it still. And the format was all jacked up too. I couldnt tell what line with what question. I will try and download Acrobat. Thanks mize!
    Unfortunately there are no perfect options that are free. We use sobering called Nitro Pro at work but it's $$$

Dag! Thanks. Mize I need a program to help me create a label for a food product that I am doing. Something like Adobe illustraitor except free. Any suggestions?

Inkscape is free and full featured.

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Please help save the life of a new HP desktop. I need some help trying to figure out how to type on a PDF file. I cant write so I wanted to type on the computer. Scanned the form and sent it as a PDF to the computer. Wont let me type on it. Why? How do I fix it?
    You don't say how you "scanned" the form.

In general, a "scan" is essentially a "photograph". The "text" that you see is, as far as the scan is concerned, just a picture that happens to resemble letters and words.

If you had scanned a photo of your house, where do you think you should be able to type??

PDF's that are designed to be "filled in" actually define regions in the "image" where text will be accepted. You click on a "field" and can type into that area -- before moving on to another "field". (You can also define things like check boxes that can be "checked" by the user).

With this in mind, think of your document as a photograph that you want to scribble on.

So, save it in a photo format (PNG, GIF, BMP, TIF, JPG, etc.). Then, use a photo editor ("Paint" is part of all Windows releases) to open the file. Click on the "Text" tool (looks like an uppercase 'A' on the toolbar at the top ~center). Drag a box on the image to indicate where you want to type. Select an appropriate font, font size, style, color, etc. Then, type what you want into the box.

What you will quickly discover is that you can't EDIT -- or MOVE after you've left "text mode"! -- what you have typed! You are, in effect, just scribbling directly onto the image (programs like Illustrator and Photoshop treat the text as if it was a separate "object" that could be manipulated independent of the underlying image). If you want to make changes, you have to "scribble OVER" what you already wrote!

So, with this in mind, type what you want on a blank portion of the screen (something that is a solid color identical to the background in the area that you want to type; typically, this would be white). Get the text, size, font, etc. right. Then, "select" that area (use the "Select" tool to draw a box that JUST contains the text of interest. Then, drag the box to the place on the image where you want the text to be.

The area where the text had been originally will be replaced with an empty "white" (or, whatever "color 2" happens to be -- look at the toolbar) box.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Attached a screen capture (equivalent of a "scan" -- it's just a "picture"!) of what I've typed and steps to manipulate it using Paint.

(sorry the images kinda ran together like that...)

This is far from an ideal solution. But, works without having to install any other software.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by automation; 06-15-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added caveats

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post
    You don't say how you "scanned" the form.

In general, a "scan" is essentially a "photograph". The "text" that you see is, as far as the scan is concerned, just a picture that happens to resemble letters and words.

If you had scanned a photo of your house, where do you think you should be able to type??

PDF's that are designed to be "filled in" actually define regions in the "image" where text will be accepted. You click on a "field" and can type into that area -- before moving on to another "field". (You can also define things like check boxes that can be "checked" by the user).

With this in mind, think of your document as a photograph that you want to scribble on.

So, save it in a photo format (PNG, GIF, BMP, TIF, JPG, etc.). Then, use a photo editor ("Paint" is part of all Windows releases) to open the file. Click on the "Text" tool (looks like an uppercase 'A' on the toolbar at the top ~center). Drag a box on the image to indicate where you want to type. Select an appropriate font, font size, style, color, etc. Then, type what you want into the box.

What you will quickly discover is that you can't EDIT -- or MOVE after you've left "text mode"! -- what you have typed! You are, in effect, just scribbling directly onto the image (programs like Illustrator and Photoshop treat the text as if it was a separate "object" that could be manipulated independent of the underlying image). If you want to make changes, you have to "scribble OVER" what you already wrote!

So, with this in mind, type what you want on a blank portion of the screen (something that is a solid color identical to the background in the area that you want to type; typically, this would be white). Get the text, size, font, etc. right. Then, "select" that area (use the "Select" tool to draw a box that JUST contains the text of interest. Then, drag the box to the place on the image where you want the text to be.

The area where the text had been originally will be replaced with an empty "white" (or, whatever "color 2" happens to be -- look at the toolbar) box.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Attached a screen capture (equivalent of a "scan" -- it's just a "picture"!) of what I've typed and steps to manipulate it using Paint.

(sorry the images kinda ran together like that...)

This is far from an ideal solution. But, works without having to install any other software.
    Good LAWD auto! Lol I will try and give it a shot. Thank y’all!