Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I used to post a lot but haven?t in years. I wanted to see who was still around......

I used to post a lot but haven?t in years. I wanted to see who was still around......

Hi everyone,

My name is Becky. I used to post here on CC a lot a few years ago but life took off and I got very busy. I was finishing school, planning my wedding, and packing up my life in Chicago to move to Washington state after my wedding. Anyway, that was all back in September/October/November of 2014. I now live in very hilly Washington and hate it 😪. I love my husband but my day to day life is so hard that I just dont want to stay most days 😪😪😪😪. My pain is still very debilitating, which I know doesn?t help my mood/outlook on life. My husband is trying so hard to make our house fully accessible but, I just don?t know. I mean, we live on a very steep street, let?s face it, the whole state is pretty ?hilly? in comparison to the flat Midwest anyway. Some days I just don?t know what I can do. I want to be with my husband but, I miss Chicago more than anything 😪😪😪😪. If only life were different, you know.

In addition, I keep having health issues land me in the hospital, which just blows!!!!!! The main health issues that have happened since I moved to Washington has been, a lot of problems with my blood sugars, I?m also a type 1 diabetic, a broken hip, required 3 massive screws in it, I ended up needing to have an I&D done on the back side of my thigh because I had gotten an infected hair folical. I had no idea!!!!! I have also had many kidney infections, a few other broken bones, and occasionally my j-tube gets infected.

I?m so done with the way my life is going. I try to put on my happy face etc but, I don?t know, after dealing with this injury for more then 14 years now, I thought that I would be past all of the insecurities etc that come with this injury. Nope, I?m still uncomfortable with myself and this injury 😪😪😪.

On a happy note, I applied for a service dog early 2016 and I have been chosen to get one!!!!!!!!! I should have my service puppy in about a year or so!!!!!!!!!!! Has anybody heard of Canine Companions for Independence (CCI)? They are based out California. If so, I would love to get any info or feedback about the company. This is where I will be getting my service dog from 😁😁!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks for letting me blab for a bit. I?m hoping to be a little more active on here again. I obviously remember my username and password, lol 😆😆😆

Sincerely,
    Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Hi Becky....welcome back to CC; just visited your profile information. Sounds like a lot of challenges in your life and where you live. I was wondering if you get around outside in a power wheelchair, otherwise I can't imagine how you travel outdoors, even though you may have the strength to push a manual wheelchair. Wow, didn't know it took so long to get a service dog. I have only heard of CCI, and so nice you'll be getting a nice companion.

Hi Becky, I remember the terrible time you had with surgical mesh and am so sorry to hear you're still in pain and have those other issues, as well. There aren't many of us around from the old days, lots of people have moved to Facebook. Welcome back!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Welcome back, Becky. You have been missed.

So sorry about all your issues, both health and living situation. Where in Washington state are you? Certainly not all the state is hilly. There are many areas near the coast and in the east that are not as mountainous. Do you have the option to change location or move to a more accessible area?

Glad you are getting a CCI dog. They are one of the largest and best service dog organizations (they are a non-profit). Many of my clients have gotten their dogs through them, and a few of my former clients work for them as well. I also have had several friends who have been volunteer puppy raisers for them. Their waiting list is usually long though; probably the only downside. While they are based in California (Santa Rosa) they have 6 training centers across the USA. http://www.cci.org/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Try a Smart drive. My girl friend just came back from Norway and said it climbed the hills there like a donkey.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Welcome back, Becky. You have been missed.

So sorry about all your issues, both health and living situation. Where in Washington state are you? Certainly not all the state is hilly. There are many areas near the coast and in the east that are not as mountainous. Do you have the option to change location or move to a more accessible area?

Glad you are getting a CCI dog. They are one of the largest and best service dog organizations (they are a non-profit). Many of my clients have gotten their dogs through them, and a few of my former clients work for them as well. I also have had several friends who have been volunteer puppy raisers for them. Their waiting list is usually long though; probably the only downside. While they are based in California (Santa Rosa) they have 6 training centers across the USA. http://www.cci.org/

(KLD)

KLD,
    My husband and I live really close to SeaTac Airport. We are actually in the town of SeaTac. Sadly we really cant move to that less of a hilly area at the moment. First of all, my husband has been in this house since 2008! Second, he works for Boeing and his work site is about 20 minutes from the house currently. He refuses to travel more then half an hour, lol. I lived in Chicago my whole life until I moved out here in November of 2014. I still laugh when people here complain about their 20-30 minute commute to work 😆.

As far as getting a CCI dog, I am beyond excited!!!!!! I have been to the Santa Rosa site for my in person interview in May of 2017 I found out that I would be getting a dog FOR SURE, about 3 weeks later!!!!!! I?m hoping that I can go to my 2 week training session, where I will actually be getting my dog in the next year!!!!!! They said that it could take up to 2 years. The 2 year mark would be May of 2019!!!!!! Of course I wouldn?t turn them down if they gave me a date sooner than that 😁😁!!!!!!!!! As far as the puppy raisers go, my husband actually has told me that there are many CCI dogs in training that come to Boeing to get used to being around different situations/environments etc....... I think that this is super cool.

Thank you for the welcome back!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
    Becky🎶
    since 1/3/04

Triumph,

Thanks for the welcome back!!!! Yes, I do have a powerchair for going outside. It’s not ideal because it’s not custom, like my manual chair, but it works for what I need!!!!!!! My husband is amazing too and we are totally rehabbing the house to make it fully accessible!!!!!!! I never thought that anyone would ever do anything like this for me since my parents didn’t do a damn thing to make my life accessible.

I can’t wait for my CCI companion!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
    Becky��
    since 1/3/04

Bonnette,

Oh wow, yea, I still have issues with that whole mesh crap ��. I have been sort of following what has been going on with Facebook too. I honestly didn’t even know if this site was still active or if everything was done through Facebook now. I guess I got my answer ��. I hope you are doing well!!!!!

Sincerely,
    Becky��
    since 1/3/04

Baldfatdad,

That was my husbands suggestion too!!!! I’m going to put that on my to do list, for sure!!!!!!!! Thanks for the suggestion!!!!!

Sincerely,
    Becky ��
    since 1/3/04

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    ...I have been sort of following what has been going on with Facebook too. I honestly didn’t even know if this site was still active or if everything was done through Facebook now. I guess I got my answer ��. I hope you are doing well!!!!!
    I don't do Facebook, so I'm really glad that this forum is still here and that you have posted on it! That mesh is turning out to be a terrible problem for so many people. I'm doing pretty well, all things considered. Hope you will find a good power chair to help you get around on those hills, and that you'll loooove your service pup!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions