Thread: Titanium Hand Rims Weight?

Titanium Hand Rims Weight?

I have done a bunch of looking around and can't seem to find any weight info on Titanium hand rims. Is there a significant weight savings over Aluminum hand rims?

Cheers,
    Jim

Probably a little bit. You'd notice it most when taking the wheels on/off and transferring them. I doubt you'd notice the difference when pushing.

Blog Entries
    Nope. I had a set years ago and they weighed about 6 ounces more than the aluminum ones they replaced. Their purpose is to be stronger, far less prone to deep scratches and sharp dings. I believe it is because Titanium is heavier than aluminum, elementally speaking, and push rings are already quite thin walled, so taking advantage of titanium to make them thinner, but just as strong, isn't something that is readily applied to push rings. (Kind of like the titanium camber tube option on a TiLite is, in fact, heavier than the aluminum standard tube, because the wall thicknesses aren't dramatically different.)
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I'm getting some on my next chair because when I wear through the coating on the aluminum handrims they start to blacken my hands. Not sure if titanium will do the same thing, but I'm down to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Nope. I had a set years ago and they weighed about 6 ounces more than the aluminum ones they replaced. Their purpose is to be stronger, far less prone to deep scratches and sharp dings. I believe it is because Titanium is heavier than aluminum, elementally speaking, and push rings are already quite thin walled, so taking advantage of titanium to make them thinner, but just as strong, isn't something that is readily applied to push rings. (Kind of like the titanium camber tube option on a TiLite is, in fact, heavier than the aluminum standard tube, because the wall thicknesses aren't dramatically different.)
    Gotchya.....

Cheers,
    Jim

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Slippery when wet?

Hill descent and then pushing back up?

I use stainless steel with gloves when in the wet.

Really don't like anodised aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by zagam View Post

Really don't like anodised aluminium.
    I don't like anodised rims either, I got mine powder-coated black.