Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: East Coast Beach Mobility

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    How do you secure something like that at the place you will be staying
    225 for 5 days i believe. you can chain it up or last time we were there i rented a different unit and left it beside the frt desk. the hotels are familiar with the outfit that rents them etc. will be taking my stricker and annalisas bike to ride daily too.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    225 for 5 days i believe. you can chain it up or last time we were there i rented a different unit and left it beside the frt desk. the hotels are familiar with the outfit that rents them etc. will be taking my stricker and annalisas bike to ride daily too.
    I love riding at the coast. So much flat area to ride. I usually go to Oak Island and the only hill is going over the bridge to Southport

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I love riding at the coast. So much flat area to ride. I usually go to Oak Island and the only hill is going over the bridge to Southport
    Something we have always wanted to do, ride along the ocean. this will be the 2nd time time. road in nags head but couldnt really see the ocean. this bike path in vb is like right there. these strickers open up so many possibilities. you already know that. i would never drag my race bike on vacation like this.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    HI Oddity - When I first looked at the NC location it said "coming summer 2018" - so that has updated since I last looked. Down side, they deliver to the northern beaches and stop at Nags Head, we stay in the southern area - Hatteras. Oh well, maybe I can convince them to come south !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeza04 View Post
    HI Oddity - When I first looked at the NC location it said "coming summer 2018" - so that has updated since I last looked. Down side, they deliver to the northern beaches and stop at Nags Head, we stay in the southern area - Hatteras. Oh well, maybe I can convince them to come south !
    Yeah, that's where they'll deliver, and pick up, from but maybe you could just pick it up on the way down, and drop it off on the way back. Worth asking. I bet it would fit in a small uHaul trailer.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

When I told them that I usually went to Oak Island they said there was a good chance that they would be in that area next year

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    For free? That's awesome! I wonder how abused that is, though?
    Sorry, I'm ever the cynic.
    Thats a strange remark? Before we got a beach power chair we use to use the free San Diego rentals all the time no charge.

I have never heard of anyone damaging them and nore have I heard of a fine because the have grant each year to fund the project.

But its a cool set up, they have them in Coronado too we can take them and if someone comes and wants to use it lifeguards will text us to come back.

Most of the time we use to use them all day!

These look very interesting - Hope they get to North Carolina soon, will definitely be trying one out !

http://sandhelper.com/

I would make some calls to the city and see if they have any programs for free power rentals programs...

http://www.newmobility.com/2016/03/beach-wheelchairs/

Bonnie Lewkowicz, founder and president of Access Northern California, has created a project called Wheeling Cal?s Coast, which lists locations in the state where beach wheelchairs are available to borrow. ?The movement has grown relatively quickly, fueled by recognition of a need, rather than the threat of a lawsuit or ADA complaint,? she says. The Department of Justice has not taken a position on beach wheelchairs, so it?s unclear whether they are required by the ADA. ?As more people continue to witness the chairs rolling up and down beaches, undoubtedly many other locations will make those devices available in the future.?

The free program in the San Diego area was developed by Accessible San Diego together with the city Parks & Recreation dept., more in response to California Coastal Commission requirements to make beach access available to all that it was to the ADA. It was not an easy process, but I know a lot of the people who worked very hard on this project for years to get it implemented.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-16-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

yep, i used the power one on coronado 11 yrs ago on our honeymoon......was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Thats a strange remark? Before we got a beach power chair we use to use the free San Diego rentals all the time no charge.

I have never heard of anyone damaging them and nore have I heard of a fine because the have grant each year to fund the project.

But its a cool set up, they have them in Coronado too we can take them and if someone comes and wants to use it lifeguards will text us to come back.

Most of the time we use to use them all day!
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com