Thread: Urodynamic Testing and SP catheter

Urodynamic Testing and SP catheter

I am a C5-6 and have managed my bladder with a sp catheter for 28 years. I get annual testing that includes ultrasound and bladder biopsies, but my new urologist wants to do urodynamics testing as well. It was my understanding that urodynamics would not be of any value because I don't retain urine. What is the standard of care for someone in my situation? I should note that my kidney function is good and a recent cat scan showed no evidence of Hydronephrosis. Any insight would be appreciated.

I agree. I would ask your urologist what information he/she hopes to gain from the urodynamics testing that could change their management. We did not do urodynamics for long term indwelling catheter users unless they were planning to change their bladder management method. Urodynamics are not without potential complications such as actually causing UTI and possible severe AD.

Of course you should have other tests, including ultrasound or CT of your entire urinary tract. With an indwelling catheter, you should also have annual urine cytology tests for bladder cancer, and if any these tests (you need to do 3 specimens each one day apart) are abnormal, a cystoscopy and bladder biopsy.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you KLD!